- advertisement -

Nutritionist

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by RosemaryCinNJ, Sep 4, 2008.

1. RosemaryCinNJ

RosemaryCinNJ Approved members

Is it normal to see the nutritionist every 6 months?? My endo wants me to go again in Nov and I was just there in May of 08...Nothing was changed, the nutritionist told me I was doing a great job and that was it. So why do I have to go back? I get the carb counting, know what to feed her and what is good for her etc...is this necessary??

2. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

Seeing a nutritionist every 6 months wasn't part of my son's diabetes education. :confused: It sounds like you're doing great and don't need this appointment.

You may want to check with your insurance too. I just found out yesterday that ours will only pay for 6 - 1/2 hour diabetes education/training sessions (or 3 hours total) in a 3 year span. We're maxxed out already.

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I think we saw the one connected to our endo practice pretty much every 3 months for the first year. Then we never say her again :rolleyes: It's probably just the way the practice is organized, I wouldn't take it personally;)

4. Seans Mom

Seans Mom Approved members

We see the nutritionist at every appt. Usually it consists of ... How are things going? Any food issues? Any problems w/ carb counting? Anything you need, let me know. Now and then... they want a 3 day food diary brought in to go over. That consists of her looking at it, saying he eats plenty of veggies and fruit, good job.

5. Thoover

Thoover Approved members

The only time we had to see one was when Britt was diagnosed. Other than that we don't ever have to see one. Have you asked the Endo if this is necessary or is it just a routin thing they do in the Endo's office? I would assume it would be your choice to either see the nutritionist or not to..

6. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

As long as insurance covers it, why not? You may need to ask a few questions or just be reassured that you're doing things right;)

7. mom2two

mom2two Approved members

It's normal at our clinic. They just pop in ask if you have questions and go on their way if you don't. We've never had to bring food logs or anything like that but it is nice just in case I do have a question we don't have to make a sep. appointment.

8. Mary Lou

Mary Lou Approved members

We see a nutritionist every six months and she's great. I learn something every single time that is helpful and (usually) easy to put into our daily life.

She has great information on helping to manage the various sports my boys are in and how to utilize food to meet after-sports drops, and how the body metabolizes food and how exercise impacts that.

She also has great handouts for the boys to teach them about nutrition, and while it is often the same things I say, it makes a difference coming from a "professional". Somehow, it reinforces the importance of what we eat.

As long as your insurance will pay for it, what do you have to lose?

9. AmberO

AmberO Approved members

We now see our nutritionist once a year. It was once every 6 months for the first few years.

It's great now that Nikki is older, the nutritionist works on carb counting and "quizzing" her. My husband and I just sit in. I usually have some questions though. So it's good to go once a year.

10. RosemaryCinNJ

RosemaryCinNJ Approved members

I will keep the appointment...and heres why....Amanda is being tested for Celiac..So if she has this and after I jump off the bridge...I will have to re-learn what to feed her again or at least what not to feed her now.. But then again I have the experts here too that I can ask whos children have celiac....What are the chances she does have this I wonder?? Does she have the symptoms yeahhhhh some!

11. twicker1

twicker1 Approved members

Other than our initial training when Brandon was in the hospital, we have never seen a nutritionist, although I know we have the option of scheduling an appointment with someone. However, I'm not sure what qualifies as a "Nutritionist". I think it is just a CDE at Texas Children's.

I've thought about it though, because we are having a problem with him gaining weight. We need high calorie foods, and wouldn't you know it, EVERYTHING is going to 100 calorie packs! What's with everyone wanting to be healthy????:p

12. Midwestmomma

Midwestmomma Approved members

We have only seen the nutritionist at Dx.:rolleyes:

13. Momof4gr8kids

Momof4gr8kids Approved members

We saw a registered dietitian one time after Julia was dx'd. What is considered a nutritionist? Look for a RD on her card. If she doesn't have it, she's probably a nurse. If this is a clinic that works as a group be careful not to get bamboozled into services you don't actually need for the sake of a higher billing amount. Once every 5 years was our recommendation on getting a D refresher. So unless we were trying to learn a new diet, like with you for celiac, I wouldn't go.

14. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Saw the nutritionist twice within a week of dx. That was pretty much a waste of time. Basically, she asked what I eat, my parents said I was an extremely picky eater, and named the few foods I do eat. She said it was wonderful I eat such healthy foods and that the fact that I eat different colored foods (I don't eat much by way of processed foods so food coloring is not the issue here) means that I get all my vitamins. Then she said that we could estimate one cup of vegetables as 5 carbs, and asked us to guess the exceptions to that rule, the only one of which I remember is corn. We haven't followed the 1 cup 5 carb rule anyhow. I think the visit was pretty pointless, except that maybe we got validation that even if I won't eat the vast majority of foods, the ones I do eat are good enough by the nutritionist.