- advertisement -

Nutritional Information

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by swellman, Oct 10, 2011.

1. swellman

swellman Approved members

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  2. MamaTuTu

MamaTuTu Approved members

Thank you! Im sure this will come in handy!

3. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

There are also scales out there that have this info already programed into them. The one I use, the Salter 1450 has a database of over 1,400 different foods. I have found that a good scale is an important tool in managing diabetes.

4. lynn

lynn Approved members

About the scales. When Nathan was first diagnosed I went and bought a simple digital scale (Salter brand) that weighed in ounces and grams. It cost around $25. As time went on I got envious of everybody here who had the Salter 1450 so I saved and bought one. I thought it would be so great to be able to access the database and not have to search for carb factors for the food we eat. I've been disappointed. The thing is very slow to respond when pushing the buttons to get the name of the food entered in. Then there is nothing that "fits" what we are having far too often so I end up choosing something that is "close enough". The power button is also a pain. We only had it months when it quit turning on and off on the first press. Now it takes so many tries that sometimes I give up and guess on the carbs because Nathan just wants his dinner!

The original, simple, inexpensive scale that I bought originally is still going strong at my mother's house. If I had it to do all over again I would keep the simple version and use carb factors. I belong to www.food.com and all of their recipes have the nutrition information figured for me. I can also add my own recipes to get the nutrition information. I use that to figure out the carb factors for things that I don't have memorized.

Has anybody else forked out the big bucks for the 1450 and been disappointed?

5. swellman

I have the 1400 and it was under $30. I used it A LOT. Now I don't.

I think there are serious questions about the database - whether it's raw or cooked, for example. Skin on or off - sometimes it's noted. I think the data is from a government database but I couldn't find out as today is a holiday. I think the scale is a really important tool - not sure about the 1450 though but just a scale in general.

One important point - my scale does not fit into my smart phone but PDFs do and I can read them ANYWHERE. My OP wasn't to compete with a scale but only to provide additional tools.

6. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

No, I paid about $80.00 for my 1450 and I use it everyday. I love it. I find it an invaluable tool in diabetes management. There are plenty of other scales that people use that they find useful too. Or you can use a combination of what the OP shared and a scale. Whatever works for the individual. Sorry you had a bad experience with the 1450.

7. lynn

lynn Approved members

I know that you weren't posting to compete with scales. I just had to gripe about my disappointment in that scale.

I am thinking of printing out the first two of the links above to put in Nathan's backpack so when we are out then there won't be as much guessing involved. Because the Calorie King book is another of my disappointments---I'll keep that one to myself though.:)

8. Mom2Will

Mom2Will Approved members

If you want to sell it I would love to buy it, please PM me if you do want to sell it. We've worn ours out.

9. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Very useful lists, thank you for posting.

In the 7 years since Steven was diagnosed I have never weighed anything. I do measure with a cup if it is measurable by that method or if it says a certain amount of grams of carb per serving and the serving size is 10 pieces, I will count out the pieces. As far as things that can be weighed I will eyeball them, a small apple, a large ear of corn. Im sure Im not right on the money but close enough.

Im not advocating not using a scale just saying that I havent found the need for one yet. And I realize that this thread was not about scales or whether to use them or not so my apologies to the OP;)

10. Blue

Blue Approved members

Thank you!

11. MommaKat

MommaKat Approved members

Oh, please don't. It's so nice to know there are other people who find this an inadequate tool. Not to knock the fact that it works for others!! It's sometimes frustrating at the endo's when they act like that's the only tool needed for adequate carb counting and management of T1.

I've had experience with the Salter scale, and I think it works great for people when their food choices fit into the 1400 foods that comprise the database. When you're an odd duck and eat the kinds of foods that prove you're another granola hippie from Boulder (that would be me), things like Salter and Calorie King don't help terribly much. Seriously, the folks over at Calorie King laughed at me when I phoned with questions prior to committing to a purchase of the book or online software. They'd never even heard of some of the foods I asked about, and the incredibly kind customer service lady I spoke with told me that Greek yogurts were just a fad, so they wouldn't be adding them anytime soon. (she really was nice, even if she sounded a bit disgusted when she asked in surprise You actually eat that?!?)

I happily danced back to my land of granola, yogurt, and yes - I'll admit it, wasabi dusted edamame and found the ever delightful (and cheap) Weight by date program. A lot of the whole food, organic stuff we like is in their database, and whatever isn't I can add. Sure, it took more time the first few months entering food items, but now it's a snap to record dd's meals, get an accurate carb count, track other nutrients, and even enter my homemade recipes so we can determine a healthy portion size and carb info for family faves.

You know what they say, one man's trash is another's gold... in this case mine gives my mom tons of joy and her cheapo digital scale of $20 is worth the moon's weight in gold for us :cool:

12. MommaKat

MommaKat Approved members

Yeah, most shell fish has carbs - for some reason I remember that even though two of my three kids are allergic to shellfish, and the other detests all seafood. Not the most useful info to retain in my house, but I guess that's the way my brain rolls:rolleyes:

Thanks for posting the links, btw- I'm printing them in color and providing them to the school and dd's dad for his house.

13. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Thanks, this is great for my MIL that comes over here but may forget how to work my scale. She know how to calculate carbs the old fasioned way.

I also still take my scale but also have rpintouts in the same bag, it is often easier to look on a listing than be on the phone or tanlet when at a gathering.

14. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

My Calorie King has Greek yogurt, edamame and granola.

15. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

I couldn't get the links to work. Could you give me the names of the titles in the links so I can try and look them up that way. Thanks

16. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

and then there's always the nutritional information on the packaging. ;)

17. swellman

18. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

19. lynn

lynn Approved members

I can't sell it---that would require me to my husband that it was a mistake to buy. We just can't have that!:eek:

20. lisac

lisac Approved members

Thanks swellman! I'm always on the look-out for nutritional facts!!