- advertisement -

numbing cream

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Tiff's mom, Mar 28, 2010.

1. Tiff's mom

Tiff's mom Approved members

We just got our first tube of Emla, well the generic brand, i think its the same. the instructions said to put a tape on it and leave for an hour, i was just wondering if you realyy HAVE to put the tape on, ill have more trouble removing it than putting the infusion set in. we are about to try the sensor, i put it on myself yesterday, it didnt really hurt but the area wasnt completely numb after one hour, so maybe i did something wrong or it has a small dose of medicine because its for my 4 yearold.
    i would like to try it on my son tonite but the area has to be numb or he'll freak out.
    thank you

2. willie's mom

willie's mom Approved members

I just cut a small piece of plastic wrap and put the cream on it. The cream makes the plastic wrap stick and it is super easy to remove.

3. Snowbound

Snowbound Approved members

I use a piece of tegaderm, leaving one end curled up so that it's easier to peel off. We leave it for a good hour to 90 minutes and he doesn't feel a thing.

4. Brenda

Brenda Junior Member

We used to put a piece of Tegaderm over the cream and leave it on maybe an hour and a few minutes, but not too much longer. We soon switched to LMX-4 cream because it works in 15-20 minutes. Just put on a quarter sized "blob," cover it then wash it off, preferably with antibacterial soap (no Dove soap products because they contain oils that contribute to sets not sticking) and warm water. Our daughter just puts the set in at this point because she is allergic to IV preps. Best to change pump sites after two days, according to a study I saw recently. Our daughter does still use numbing cream when doing some sensor sites, but not for pump sites.

5. Sandy's mom

Sandy's mom Approved members

I'm curious to what reasons the study gave? We were taught 3 days for various reasons. Sometimes our dd's site is so perfect and numbers great she'll talk us into day 4. She just really hates doing it. I certainly don't want to harm her somehow.

ps. sorry for the hijack:eek:

6. Tiff's mom

Tiff's mom Approved members

thank you everybody.
    i'll try the plastic wrap tonite. also somebody told me about using ice to numb the area, we use it for infusion sets, i wanted something stronger for the sensor, especially in the beginning...
    re the site change, we do it every 3 days, he uses sure-t's and we never had any problems, our endo keeps telling me to change it more often though, i have no idea why, i think it works just fine

7. sooz

sooz Approved members

Just to chime in, we use the plastic wrap too. :D

8. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We just use a regular band-aid. We change pump sites every 3-4 days, and have no issues.

9. Mistync991

Mistync991 Approved members

we use lidacain cream which i think is generic elma ...and use either iv3000 or press and seal to cover about a quarter sized ammount for an hour (sometimes more if i forget at the 1 hour mark ..oops) for us we need the hour if i try and do less she can tell and for now she isnt ready to do it without

10. twicker1

twicker1 Approved members

I tried the plastic wrap, and several different medical tapes, but in the end, we just used the huge bandaids that you would put over a skinned knee or something. I put a blob, cover with bandaid, and wait anywhere from 15-40 minutes. We also use the LMX4 cream. Oddly, Walgreens had NO idea what I was talking about, so I have to get our grocery store pharmacy to order it for us. But, then again, we've been out of it for a couple of months, and it hasn't been an issue.

11. Toni

Toni Banned

Very good info. on the LMX cream. It is supposed to be safer. Fifteen minutes waiting time is a lot easier than 1 hour, as well. I have distinctly noticed with Apidra site lasts 2.5 days instead of 3 at least 50 percent of the time. And with Apidra, she will go very high, very fast. So trying to wrap my mind around the two day site change. It's hard. We are used to doing it every three days.

12. Brenda

Brenda Junior Member

I ama waiting for the presenter to provide me with information about the study or link to the study about changing pump sites after two days. Not ignoring anyone.

13. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

It doesn't have to be a band aid, but years ago I was told it needed to be an occlusive cover. I take this to mean so that air does not get in.

Also, when I used the cream on dd I left it on for 2 hours, which was the peak action for the generic lidocaine-prilocaine cream I used. (You may want to read through the package insert on the cream you are using and look for the timing for the peak action.)
    Also, I always put a generous amount on --a dollop the size of a quarter and an eighth of an inch to a quarter of an inch thick. Don't rub it in.

Here's a trick to know when the area is numb enough. Clean off any remaining cream and take an alcohol swab and rub it over the site where the cream was. Ask your child if it feels warm or cold. (When the site is numb, the alcohol pad does not feel cold to the skin. Try the alcohol swab in another spot to let your child feel the difference.