- advertisement -

Numbing cream for a blood draw?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by cdninct, May 4, 2012.

1. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

If my 4-year-old son's BGs cooperate overnight, I'm going to be taking him in for blood work tomorrow morning. He has not had anything done since diagnosis, and that was a traumatic experience for him (all of us, really!), so I was looking for ways to make it a bit less upsetting. We have had a prescription for numbing cream on file at the pharmacy for some time now, but we have never used it since he doesn't seem to mind site and sensor insertions. It seems like this would be a good opportunity to use the stuff.

My question, and I know it's probably a silly one, is, where should I apply the cream? Will they likely draw from a visible vein under the elbow, like they do for adults? I remember at dx they wound up trying about 6 different places to get enough blood to work with (hence the trauma...), but I don't want to coat the poor little guy in the stuff from shoulder to pinkie just to cover my bases!

2. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

If it's fasting, have him drink LOTS of water! Hydration mkes a lot of difference!

3. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

Good point! Of course I knew it in theory, but I had totally forgotten that it would be useful tomorrow (because it is a fasting test).

Thanks!

4. CassiesMama

CassiesMama Approved members

Its a great idea to push fluids and use the numbing cream. I carry a tube of it in my purse for my kids, when they think its going to hurt they tense up and its even harder to get the needle in for the blood draw. If they can know it wont hurt it will be over in no time. Put a blob of cream in each elbow crease and put the tegaderm over it. If no tegaderm just wrap the arms in cling wrap like I do with my kids.

5. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

Yes - yes - yes

If you haven't already left - I would do the numbing cream. My doctor's office does it for us before our yearly blood draw (my son is 5) - but then we have to wait around for at least 45 minutes for it to work. If you could do it at home it would probably help.

To be honest - it does help - but the idea of the blood being drawn freaks out my son anyway. They had to get an extra nurse plus me to even be able to do it.

We have to do our yearly in another month or so - not looking forward to that.

6. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

Thanks, all! I applied it just before leaving the house and, since we waited over an hour in the waiting room, it was in full effect by the time we got in. There was no fuss; there were no tears (unlike the 9-year-old boy who went in before him and screamed like he was being impaled!). Overall, a good blood draw experience!

7. CAGrandma

CAGrandma Approved members

That is great!
    You lucked out with the timing, but don't forget the psychological advantage of having the cream on even if there was not enough time for it to take full effect. Everything hurts more if you are dreading it, fighting it, etc.

8. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

I think you're right--it may have helped psychologically, although I don't think he was really convinced that the magic cream would do anything! His blood draw at dx was a train wreck, but it was done in the ER and he was miserable to begin with, and likely dehydrated, and they wound up sticking him at least 10x to get enough blood, so all around it was a bad experience. On the other hand, at 1 year old, he had blood work done without issue. They brought in two extra nurses to hold him down, and instead he sat in my lap and watched the whole thing with passive interest! I think the kid has a pretty high pain threshold!

Still, I will definitely use the cream again! :)

9. steph

steph Approved members

ugh, reading this made my stomach turn bc we have to do a blood draw bf our next visit. first one since dx as well. and that one was aweful. lots of tries and poking and blood everywhere and my one year old screaming a scream i had never heard before and honestly never want to hear again. she's not even old enough to have a psychological advantage of magic cream. maybe i'm the one who needs the psychological advantage though. i am honestly feeling very nervous about it.