- advertisement -

numbers at dx

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ToddsMom, Jun 7, 2008.

1. ToddsMom

ToddsMom Approved members

I had heard some mention that their children were suffering from DK at their dx. I remember the nurse at the hospital saying that we caught it early b/c his bg reading was only in the low 300's. Does anyone know what the typical first BG reading is?

2. momofsingingdiabetic

momofsingingdiabetic Approved members

It varies from child to child. Danielle was above 400 and had an A1C above 14. We thought both of those numbers were huge, but you will probably hear from others whose numbers were even higher.

3. jacobandhannah

jacobandhannah Approved members

Jacobs blood sugar was over 600 at diagnosis and his A1C was 12.

4. Pam H

Pam H Approved members

Joel was at 912 and his A1C was 11

5. hmmmcormick

hmmmcormick Approved members

If they took an A1c of Morgan they never told me what it was. His blood glucose was over 1,000. He is still so close to diagnosis that they aren't going to check his A1c until Aug.

6. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

Rachels blood sugar was 24 (432) at diagnosis. Her HbA1c was only 7.4. She was in severe DKA and had a dedicated nurse for 72 hrs.
    YDMV :cwds:

7. TracieandJim

TracieandJim Approved members

Samuel was only 397 but he was losing consciousness and the longer it took the ambulance to get to Childrens Medical the longer he stayed unconscious. Ive read of some going to over 1600!

8. twodoor2

twodoor2 Approved members

Elizabeth was 596 and in DKA at diagnosis.

9. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

450 here.
    nor sure what a1c was maybe 9 or 11
    dang sonic brought it almost up to that the other day

10. Twinklet

Twinklet Approved members

Emily was 496 and A1C of 13.2 at diagnosis. No ketones.

11. sammysmom

sammysmom Approved members

Sam was 1382 at dx, in DKA and a coma. A second a1c was not drawn until 4 mo after he was dx.

12. Mindy

Mindy Approved members

I never even asked what Austin was once we got to Children's. We started the day at our g.p. and he was HI on the meter (>600) and A1C was >14 and he was in DKA. We were sent straight to Children's and it never crossed my mind to ask. It was a whirlwind.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2008
  13. Twinklet

Twinklet Approved members

I am amazed when I see BG numbers > 1000!!! It scares the crap out of me to tell you the truth!

14. TracieandJim

TracieandJim Approved members

I never asked either. I was told and told with 'the look'. Not knowing about the severity of any of this at the time made 'the look' even scarier.

15. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

Jayden was over 600 and had an A1C of 13.4, but no DKA. The lovely ER doc said, "Well, she's not in DKA. I think it's type 2." Wonder how many children under four feet tall and weighing all of 44 pounds he's seen with type 2 diabetes????

Last edited: Jun 7, 2008
  16. ToddsMom

ToddsMom Approved members

Thank you everyone. This is helping me get a big picture. Wow, I didn't even know the numbers could go that high!!:eek: how scary that must have been!!
    Big hugs to all of you and your children. I appreciate your replies.

Wow ... i am still freaking over some of these numbers. makes me feel a little lucky. I see it could have been a lot worse. Coma? Oh my... that must have been so hard.

17. Pam H

Pam H Approved members

"The Look".... Yes, that was scary.

The urgent activity surrounding my son in the ER scared me the most.

18. Mindy

Mindy Approved members

That's what got me, too, and especially seeing the fear on Austin's face amidst it all. He had never been sick a day in his life before this, and I think he was in complete shock.

19. Tripletmommy

Tripletmommy Approved members

Isabella was 599.... I don't think she was actually in DKA because they let us take her (in our own car) to the children's hospital (2 hours away)....
    All her pedi said when we left was go home, QUICKLY grab clothing and toothbrushes and give her 2 waterbottles of water to drink from and get there as quickly as you can - we're telling them you're on your way.
    Of course, I didn't know a thing about it - so I thought this was OK... had I known better, I would have said no way to driving her by ourselves - I would have said forget the clothes, bring her in an ambulance, we'll worry about all that other stuff later...

20. hold48398

hold48398 Approved members

Mia was 592 at dx, A1C of 10.5. Not sure about DKA.