- advertisement -

Numbers are great... sort of

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Sarah Maddie's Mom, Feb 19, 2014.

1. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

I'm looking forward to getting a CGM for my 11-year-old daughter some time soon. Although she was diagnosed recently (01/24/2014), both my daughter and I are feeling impatient about getting her on an insulin pump and a CGM. All we keep hearing is that we'll have to wait six months. Six months is FOREVER to an 11-year-old!!!

2. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I love CGM but I don't feel that it is at all like having a front window. It doesn't predict the future particularly accurately. It is more like having rear view mirrors. There is still the same two feet ahead visibility.

Wearing a CGM to me just makes diabetes management easier, and reduces the number of fingersticks I need. My A1cs were not higher without it. My highest ever (not including dx) A1c was six months after I started using a CGM.

3. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Check with your insurance companies. Sometimes hospitals say 6 months, and it's not reality. I would try for a CGM NOW so that you already are comfortable with it by pump start. It will help you immensely then, and many times people are not allowed to start both at the same time. The key word for getting coverage can be "nocturnal hypoglycemic unawareness" - in other words, test and find lows that your child isn't waking to and usually that's what it takes for coverage. Unfortunately, I can honestly say that in 3.5 years, my child has only woken once to a low. I fed a 48 that she didn't even wake to.

4. Mish

Mish Approved members

I just wanted to snip out that little bit above - if that was happening to us, then I'd completely agree that it simply wasn't fair and it was extremely intrusive and way too micro-managy. I'm downloading things right now for our endo appt and I'm hard pressed to know what happened on each day unless I go back to our log book (and I'm actually trying to pull out specifics, so I am trying to remember - is this the day he was out in the snow unhooked for hours? is this day we had an overload of pasta?) It's annoying as hell for ME. I can't imagine someone grilling my son. I don't think I'd allow it, not at this age.

Of course, I think we all use the term "teen" to mean 13-19, when we all know that there is such a wide variation in that range. At this point, and I asked him, my son has no issue with me having this data. I'm willing to accept that at age 16 it might be different.
    So I think there's not one blanket answer here for Sarah, or an issue that is the same for every family.

5. Marcia

Marcia Approved members

Abbey has had her cgm for 2 months, she started at age 16 so I am a little out of the loop as far as being the one with hands on experience. I like that I can look at her graph at midnight before I go to bed to see if she is trending up or down. We were able to tweak late night basals more easily-I can't imagine how we would have been so accurate without the cgm. During the day, Abbey only looks if she gets an alarm or to calibrate. She loves the predictive low alert and finds she rarely gets a syptomatic low at school.

6. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

I agree with this statement about the CGM being a great rear view window. We started using the CGM for Isaac because his endo-team was sure that he needed more insulin due to nighttime highs, I wasn't convinced. The CGM clearly showed us that he was quick to drop and his liver was quick to dump glucose and then all we would see was the high number later, the CGM allows us to more accurately see what we need to change in terms of his insulin needs. Then when we make the changes we are able to once again see if it was enough and in the right direction. I wouldn't say it's a good front window as Isaac's BG fluctuations occur rapidly and by the time we see the upswing/downswing we are too late to make an adjustment that make immediate differences. Additionally, the largest increase in Isaac's A1C occurred right after he started using a CGM as whenever he started dropping we'd feed the impending low and often over fed it, what we learned was that often he would drop down but never go low so we were unnecessarly responding to what we thought was going to be a low but never really happened.
    Anyhow, it is definitely a good tool for us, but isn't something we can dose off of but it definitely a helpful piece of the puzzle.