- advertisement -

NPH: Why we chose it (and regret it)

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by SandiT, Apr 29, 2013.

1. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

My dd was on NPH for about six months. My thoughts are that for US, it was great for about a month and I liked it for the transition. To help dd get used to shots (the nurse in the hospital said she was about the worst she had seen as far as fear of shots), to held us get a plan in place in a school that had no nurses at all etc.

It worked pretty well for that short time. But after about a month she was fine with shots, was starting to fight us over the scheduled times/amounts and we needed more flexibility. However the endo she saw then was big on reducing shots for the kids, especially at school. It took us another five months to convince him to switch her.

I do think it has it's place. Just a very limited one lol.

2. Meredithsmom

Meredithsmom Approved members

At diagnosis we were given a choice. 3 shots a day with NPH/Humalog, or 5+ with Lantus/Humalog. Well, since we knew nothing about either insulin and tried ti understand what they were telling us about the "peak", I think we saw 3 shots versus 5 and went for the lesser amount.

It was a rollercoaster and we were on lantus before the 6 month mark. Live and learn. :)

3. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

Saline trials are AWFUL even if it doesn't sting, you're wear a pump 24/7 and STILL doing shots... I almost just put insulin in the pump durring the week but my mom wouldn't let me (I was 15 so I wore the pump not my mom)