advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Now the school says that my kid can't test at her desk in class because they have children in the sc

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by thebestnest5, Aug 31, 2012.

1. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

I explained the multiclix looked like a pen and they would not even see a needle, but the principal said hearing the click was bad enough and would upset a kid with a needle phobia because the needle phobic kid would know it was a needle when they heard the click.

And, the school says that legally they need me to sign a release to my kid's medical info so the school can talk to the doctor...they school needs this to accomodate my kid through a 504 and start school....

Waiting for ADA to contact me....

Any help out there????????????????

2. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Just wanted to say I'm really sorry you're dealing with this. It sounds absolutely ridiculous. Hope you have good luck with the ADA.

3. maciasfamily

maciasfamily Approved members

you gotta be kidding me!!! Seriously! Make the needle-phobic kid sit on the other side of the room then!!

I hope the ADA will be able to help you out. I'm sorry you're going through this. :(

4. sooz

sooz Approved members

OMG how do they justify accommodating the child with a " needle phobia :rolleyes:" and not accommodating your child who has a life threatening disability? What's going to happen to that little darling with the needle phobia if god forbid they get d or another condition that requires shots. I actually think all of the kids in the class would benefit from your child's example of bravery and matter of factness if the teacher and school handled it properly.

ETA what does the needle phobia kid do if someone clicks a ball point pen or snaps a rubber band? Do they ban ball point pens?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
  5. thebestnest5

The school feels they are accomodating my kid by saying that she can test in a private place.

6. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Um, does the needle-phobic kid have a 504? If not, that child's needs do not trump your child's disability. Really, this is complete BS.

Here is the link to the OCR website. It's very informative and you can file a complaint online. If you haven't made your accommodations request in writing, I'd do that immediately, and I'd file with OCR the next day. In the meantime you can talk with the ADA, but I'd get the OCR case going ASAP.

7. hawkeyegirl

They can accommodate the needle-phobic kid (who I suspect does not exist) by having HER leave the room when your child needs to test. :rolleyes:

8. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

We have had a 504 for 4 years now...they never asked or needed to access my child's private medical records. This is absurd. I'm sure the ADA can help you.

As for the needle phobic kids...I am speechless. One of the most ridiculous things I've heard on this forum.:eek: How kind of the principal to care for those poor needle phobic children...perhaps your child's low or high blood sugar will just go away on its own...if not, it's only your child's health at stake...those needle phobic kids could have (gasp) nightmares.:rolleyes::mad::mad::mad::mad: Boy, the click of that multiclix could bring on potentially life-altering psychological damage to those poor kids, I'm sure. You'd better warn him to tell kids not to click their ball-point pens either...they may mistake it for that horrifying multiclix sound and suffer breakdowns right there and then.:rolleyes:

Seriously...the 504 plan protects your child's rights here...the principal is full of it. So sorry you have to go through this.:(:(:mad

9. thebestnest5

What specifically would I have to request in writing?

10. hawkeyegirl

The accommodations that you're seeking. When I filed my OCR complaint, I first sent a letter to the community college that was hosting the camp telling them that I was requesting X, Y, and Z accommodations under the ADA. I had already met with them and they told me that the only accommodations they would provide would be to (a) allow me to attend the camp with my son or (b) call an ambulance for him. But I wanted the request to be in writing so that I could show it to OCR. They were so dumb that they promptly sent a letter back to me denying my accommodations, so I had that to show to OCR too.

Have you had your formal 504 meeting yet, or is this all just preliminary talk? If you haven't had the 504 meeting, I'd send a letter demanding that, because I *think* OCR will want them to have officially denied a 504 request before they act.

11. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

If you haven't done so already, it would be a very good idea to memorialize the conversations you've had so far. Write everything down....names of the people you've spoken with, dates & times, & details of what was said & by whom. Regardless of who you end up having in your corner (ADA or OCR), you need to prepare.

12. MOM to KELLSE

MOM to KELLSE Approved members

Good advice from the other members...the only thing i would add is that if you have anymore contact with the school do everything in writing...if you meet with them then go home and send out either a letter or email or both..(i did both) stating something like....dear mr johns...thank you for taking the time to meet with me on such and such date and for addressing such and such...i look forward to the accommodations of little sally testing in class starting on tuesday and then end on a positive note with something like...looking forward to working with you or something like that....keep copies of everything and initial your letters in a corner..so that you know they have not been changed. It's a battle but you can do this!!!!!!!!

13. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

School does NOT need to contact your Dr. The Dr. sends the Health plan, as long as its signed then they don't need to contact them. I have an excellent relationship with K's school and I don't let them contact the dr, if there is an issue, they call me.. absolutely NO reason for them to contact them.

As for the needle phobia kid, to bad, they need to make accomidations for THAT kid to be moved away from your child while she's doing her blood sugar check. Give him an activity, have him skip to the office... The fact is your child is covered under the ADA and has the right to check in her class.. Maybe you should ask the office if the kid with the needle phobia has a 504 and needs accomidations, if he doesn't, then it doesn't really matter if the kid 'jumps' from the sound of the multiclix.. really could they come up with anything dumber? They know you know very well that your child has the right to check at her desk, they are running out of stupid excuses, the fact that they keep changing that excuse proves that they know they don't have a leg to stand on. Definitely contact the ADA, and I'd contact the ORC as well.

14. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

last year, the school nurse let it slip that she had called my childs dr. I was beyond livid, becouse they kept sending the permission slip home and I kept tossing it out. I made a call to my sons dr that NOBODY was allowed to talk about matthew and his care PERIOD. I made sure it was on the front of his chart in bold letters. Now I have the same problem, new state, new school, they said they would need to be able to talk to the dr we get matt to see. He!! will freeze over first before anybody will get access to my sons medical records. After all the hoops I have gone through getting insurance and such, I finally have an appt on the 6th to have matt see a dr in order for him to get a referal to an endo. This dr and the endo will have the same instructions. Nobody, but NOBODY will get any informtion out of them.

Am I the only parent that would go into a meeting with these people clicking a poker????:D reset, click, reset, click, reset, click, reset, click and repeat!

15. Tamara Gamble

Tamara Gamble Approved members

All I'm going to say is that my son was needle phobic. He has type 1. Go figure. Not needle phobic anymore. I would want to see the certification from his psychologist who is treating him for this condition to confirm it exist. Just saying.

16. thebestnest5

I don't believe I could request that on another kid...but I agree with you sounds like a red herring to me on the needle phobic kid.

So, here's a shortened, summarized reply

Can self-test. The only issue is if another student has an IEP or Independent Health Plan that states they cannot be exposed to medical procedures or blood. Unfortunately, some children are so sensitive to this (for various reasons) that they get sick or pass out at seeing medical things occur (like immunizations, etc.) We have to be respectful of those plans as well.

They will create an Independent Health Plan for XXX without medical records. However, the only information they say they would have requested would be related to my child's current diabetic status, not her entire medical record. The only person who would have seen those records would have been the nurse.

So, does this mean sometimes they will not let my kid test in class????? What?? How should I proceed at our next meeting???

17. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I would do what Karla said above and put your request in writing, that she's to check at her desk. Her desk is HER SPACE. If the other child does have an IEP, then they can accomidate him by putting him at HIS DESK on the other side of the room. If they can't accomidate her in the class with this other child, can they simply move her to another room? While they have to accomidate the other child they also have to take her accomidations into consideration, they have to make it work.

And there would be no way in hell I'd let them talk with the dr. It just wouldn't happen. They DO NOT need to speak with the dr. They need to follow dr's orders and accomidate BOTH child (if the other child truely does have an IEP or 504, unfortunately there is no way to know that for sure.).

18. thebestnest5

Is it reasonable for me to request my child test at her desk/locker/gym class, etc....with other kids who may have severe reactions to watching a medical procedure???? The school seems to want my kid's 504 to accommodate the phobic kid's 504/IEP????

The school believes if a medical procedure phobic kid with a 504/IEP is in the same classroom as my daughter --then my daughter has to go to the nurse's office to test her bg.....what do you think???

Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
  19. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I'm thinking what do these kids with phobias of blood do when someone skins their knee or gets a bloody nose?

I'm at a loss for words over what the school is doing. Our school cannot contact our doctor and I can honestly say that unless my daughter was in the ER they wouldn't talk to them without my permission.

20. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

I think the accommodation that you are requesting, that your child be able to test any where at any time is a reasonable one. And that is what I would push for if it were me.

The school also may need to accommodate the child with the phobia (assuming that's not some trumped up excuse). I don't think it is reasonable to require your child to forego BG testing when and where needed to accommodate that phobia -- when there seem to be other easy and obvious solutions that don't hinder or delay your child from testing. Others have mentioned them -- having the phobic child sit across the class, tell the phobic child to look away or whatever is needed to avoid triggering the phobia -- presumably that would be consistent with how the school needs to accommodate the phobia in a health or science class if there are depictions of medical procedures, etc....