- advertisement -

Novocaine cream for infusion set insertions?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by njswede, Feb 19, 2016.

1. njswede

njswede Approved members

Noah has become a little fussy about site changes. He says anything except his butt hurts too much, but those sites are pretty worn out, so we have to find new ones.

Is an OTC topical novocaine cream useful or is it just a messy waste of time?

2. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

We use emla cream for the dex and we think its great. You just have to plan ahead a little. The philosophy around here is anything that reduces the mental/emotional burden is always a good use of time.

3. njswede

njswede Approved members

It's prescription, right? I'm actually going to see our endo NP today to discuss alternative sites, so I'll ask her to write me a script.

Thanks!

4. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We occasionally used Emla, prescription needed. Put on one hour prior to set change.

5. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

You can get LMX 4 OTC and in my experience it works just as well as EMLA. I occasionally used it for the old medtronic sensors and would use a pea sized drop under a band aid for 45 minutes and it would be completely numb. I also used it for laser hair removal (only in small amounts at once) and it worked great for that.

6. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

7. dpr

dpr Approved members

We use Emula for sensors and arm infusion sites. Works great, give it 50-60 minutes. I'm going to order some of the cold spray and give it a try too.