- advertisement -

Novo Pen Jr. question

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by anna-bananna, Mar 3, 2012.

1. anna-bananna

anna-bananna Approved members

Hi All,

Does everyone use a full 2 units for the air shot for the Novo Pen Jr? We go through SOOO much more novolog with the pen than we ever did with syringes, and I am pretty sure it's due to the air shots.

I am wanting to do an air shot with maybe 1 unit or 1.5 units instead of 2. If I try an air shot with only 1 unit, say, and then I see the insulin come out of the needle, just as I do with 2 units...is that enough? Will I mess anything up with the mechanism of the pen, or anything? I tend to think not, but I just thought I would ask for other opinions, just in case!;)

2. minniem

minniem Approved members

No, it's fine. You just want to see the insulin come out of the needle to make sure there is no air in it and she is getting the correct dose. So if you see it at 1 or 1.5 that's fine, just make sure the needle is primed (meaning you see insulin come out in the air shot) before giving the dose.:cwds:

3. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I did half unit air shots at a time until I saw insulin.

4. mayousha

mayousha Approved members

i always do 1.5 unit in the air before each dose , when i wasn't doing this she was high always after meals and she wasn't taking the full units

5. Deal

Deal Approved members

Us as well. Now we have upgraded to the NovoPen Echo which is much better.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  6. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I always did 2U air shots, but the important thing is just that insulin comes out of the needle.

7. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We do 2u for a fresh bottle, sometimes I find it may even need a bit more, but after that, I usually do 1 or 1.5. As Emm said, the important thing is that you see insulin come out.

8. anna-bananna

anna-bananna Approved members

Thank you, everyone!