- advertisement -

Not testing as much?

Discussion in 'Teens' started by kierbabi09, Jun 17, 2009.

1. kierbabi09

kierbabi09 Approved members

Ever since I started pumping I haven't been testing as much and I don't know why. And since my vacation has started I don't typically eat lunch, becuase I don't feel hungry around that time and sometimes lunchtime is when I'm waking up:eek::p so that is 2 less checks a day.
    Anyways on my pump my 3 day average is 3 bg's a day and I'm supposed to be doing 6 a day. One day I think I only checked once:eek:
    My bg's are in range most of the time so it's not becuse I'm high that I'm not checking. I need to check more often. Especially if I'm going to be going away to school soon, you know?
    Help?:(

2. LadyBug

LadyBug Approved members

i have the same problem! i don't want to check if it hasn't been long since i've eaten, and especially when we're not doing school, i just kinda munch. try setting your alarm on the pump for 1 or 2 hours after your last bolus and/or alarms for set times. mine are under bolus/reminders/and then there's reminder-1, reminder-2 and bg check on/off, after bolus=1/2/3/4hr.
    a few other ideas would be to leave post-it notes around or ask someone else who's around you a ton to get you to check. oh, and if you don't want you pump to go off and you carry you cell everywhere, set it instead :D.

hope you can find a way to get back into it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. malyssa

malyssa Approved members

I'm the same way ever since I got comfortable with my cgms. :eek: I went from testing 12+ times a day to an average of 5 tests per day, but sometimes it's close to three tests a day (sometimes less) because I'll dose based on a cgm reading if I feel it has been reliable and accurate enough. But I always always always check my fasting number, and before I go to bed. :rolleyes:

If I were you I would set alarms on my cell or pump to tell you when to test. Or have people remind you. Gosh, it's a tough one, Kier. I'm sorry I don't have any better suggestions or anything. :(:(

Good luck!!

4. kierbabi09

Thanks Malyssa and Anna!
    It's not necessarily that I'm getting lazy (ok only partly:p) it's that I think I'm getting up too late in the day. I was up at 12:30 everday this week and the other day at 1:15:eek:
    I will definitely take your suggestions into consideration, along with trying to get up earlier. (I never used to sleep this late) Thanks again:)

5. Volleyball_Chick_15

Volleyball_Chick_15 Approved members

I am homeschooled and during the school year i would sleep in till about 10 or 11 so i would skip breakfast. well my doctor wasn't to thrilled about that so he said set an alarm for 9:30 and get up and test and eat breakfast he said it didnt have to be anything big it could just be a granola bar or something but that i needed to get up and test and get some food in me. So i have been doing that.
    So i suggest setting a alarm to get up in the morning. i know its summer but still 9:30 isnt that early compared to getting up early at 6 for school.

6. Daxdog

Daxdog Approved members

First of all, I sleep in until noon as well and don't eat breakfast. :eek:

Second of all, I am always tempted to use the number off my Dexcom and not test, but then I realize that it has been 50+ points off for no particular reason and that I might not be able to trust that number to be exact enough. I test everytime I'm too high or low, when I wake up, and before I eat anything. I guess it's just routine for me.

7. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

I always, always eat breakfast at 8am. Unless I'm up earlier. I take my thyroid med at 7:30, go back to bed, get up at 8, eat, and am back in bed and sleep in :D. Although I've never been one to sleep past 10:30 anyway :p. I would suggest eating bfast at a certain time everyday and going back to bed so that you check more and you eat regularly.

8. Mody_Jess_Pony

Mody_Jess_Pony Approved members

I to have the same problem...I just doesn't occur to me to bother testing...It's not that I'm irresponsible it's just I'm always usually in range....That and if I feel crappy or if I'm gonna do something I know I need to be in range for I'll test, but not as much as I know I should.... It doesn't feel harmful

9. k.hawkins92

k.hawkins92 Approved members

Oh man, I am sooooo with you guys on this one. I sleep late, skip breakfast, and I am only checking 4-ish times a day in the summer. I really feel bad about it, but it's so hard to get back into a good, bg-checking routine! I definelty get lazy with D in the summer, and it just kills me (literally?) that I can't be better about it.
    But, right now, I am hereby going pledge to check my blood sugar AT LEAST one more time a day. There. That's a start. I'm going to do it.

10. kierbabi09

Phew!!! Atleast I know I'm not the only one. I think that I will take it slowly and try to get one more check in per day until I'm back to what I normally do.
    Thanks guys:) (well girls:rolleyes:)