- advertisement -

Not sure what i'm going to do when it's time for the new baby

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by SouthernMomma, Feb 24, 2009.

1. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

oh man I hope you can find someone! I had my MIL and SIL watch Tony while I was in labor, dh went home soon after delivery to take over cause I was so worried about him. Now MIL takes him for weekends w/no problem!

2. lotsoftots

lotsoftots Approved members

Mich here if that helps.
    When I had my baby my mom watched Samantha, I was so lucky since my parents live in Fl half the year, they came up on my due date but my stubborn little one was 10 days late, the date they were going back. My mom stopped by the morning they were leaving, but once mom seen I was in labor she turned in her ticket. Dad went back to Fl by himself (he did get to see the baby before he left:D) mom stayed 3 extra days after I came home from the hosp...My mom is d also so she knew what to do and she knew I was freaking out about who would take care of Samantha

3. Shirley and Jamie V.

Shirley and Jamie V. Approved members

I didn't read everyone's post, but we had our son, #3, four weeks after our daughter was diagnosed. I only seem to go into labor in the middle of the night, and I shot him out in about 3 hours. Although my mother-in-law had agreed to help us, I think my husband was home for every shot.

He wasn't able to be with me as much as he was with the other tow, but to tell the truth, I was pretty happy for the alone time in the hospital. I look at the pictures of myself a few hours after delivery, and I think, "Wow! I look so rested!"

I'm sorry people are letting you down. You'll find someone to help through this place. We're the next best thing to family...and sometimes we're better!;)

4. CrystalK

CrystalK Approved members

Oklahoma signing up! Please let us know if we can help! Addison was dx'd 3 months after Scarlett was born and I'm already worried about what we're going to do when the next one is born.

5. MomOf2Boys-J.C.

MomOf2Boys-J.C. Approved members

It's too bad that your family isn't willing to help but it sounds like there are a lot people here who are available. I'm not sure where you are in the south but we are in North Carolina and would love to help. I sent you a PM. :cwds:

6. giddyup_go

giddyup_go Approved members

If I were near you I would surely help you out!

I'm finding myself in the same situation, but I have a few more months to hopefully get something figured out. I'm pretty nervous though.

I sure hope you find someone SOON!

7. zeb'smom

zeb'smom Approved members

Just bumping this up, I am in Western North Carolina.....so south for sure.

I also recommend contacting the hospital, they may be able to help. The hospital we went to for both of my boys is a tiny place, I was the only one in labor/delivery both times. When Zeb was born they let the two big kids come with us, they didn't want to miss it, and set them up in my postpartum room while I was in labor. The nurses and my sister took turns keeping an eye on them and they watched cartoons and colored the whole time. Maybe you could work something like that out, have your mom there to watch the kids and your dh to do all D care as it would just be down the hall.

I hope you find a solution soon so you can relax.

Let us know where you are so we can help, you got folks all over the country ready to lend a hand if you need it.

8. Andy'sMom

Andy'sMom Approved members

Maryland signing up to help if I can. I know that's very stressful, but lots of good advise on here. Andy was 18 months old when I had baby #2 and we had a nanny during the day at that time, but didn't know what we were going to do if baby came at night. Luckily, my water broke at 9:00am on a Monday morning so Peter spent the days with me at the hospital while our nanny took care of Andy, and then he went home during the nights to take care of Andy. We have similar experience as others on here with family being unwilling to learn and help. It definitely makes things more stressful! Good luck and reach out if you're close to Maryland/DC.

9. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

can I just say - CWD parents are the best. :)

10. spamid

spamid Approved members

Central TX here, let us know if we can help.

11. sisterbeth43

sisterbeth43 Approved members

Iowa, here. If I could get airline tickets that I could afford, I would fly down and stay with your child. Reann no longer lives at home and no one here really needs me to be here for anything.

12. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

yes you can!

13. PokesforLife

PokesforLife Approved members

Did the OP every reply???
    I am in MN (south-central) if I can help at all???

14. simom

simom Approved members

Teens/young adults with diabetes

Just jumping in to say what great luck we've had with "diabetes babysitters" as mentioned above. We've been lucky to meet three delightful young women, each of whom has diabetes, who have been our babysitters since Simon was diagnosed. We found ours through the JDRF mom's group - like gold, these girls - and so fun for our son to get to know them!
    B

15. SouthernMomma

SouthernMomma Approved members

First off, I wanted to thank you all for your readiness too help. You don't know how much that means to me. You are great. :cwds:

Second, I called the hospital and asked them if they allow siblings in the delivery room and they do. I asked Garrett if he wanted to go with us and he said he would go if Holt went (which luckily he said he would). Our plan is to put some movies on for them to watch in the corner and dh will take care of all the D things and then come back to be with me.

16. twicker1

twicker1 Approved members

Where are you located?

17. zeb'smom

zeb'smom Approved members

So glad to hear you have a plan now. It worked out well for us to have the kids with us and they we're thrilled with meeting their baby brother within seconds of his birth. Good luck, I hope everything goes smoothly both with your sons D care and the birth.

18. dragonfly

dragonfly Approved members

My parents watched M and our plan was that they would bring her to the hospital and DH would run downstairs to the valet parking and help her with her pump. She is old enough to check her blood sugars by herself so they were just to supervise that.

I was only in labor for a few hours so they only had to watch her sleep overnight before Dh was able to be home again.

19. Zac's Mom

Zac's Mom Approved members

Another thing you might check into is- Our peds floor at the hosp has kinda like a babysitting service where you can bring your sick kids in & they stay in a normal hosp room on the peds floor. This is set up for mom's who have to work & daycare won't allow sick kids. Maybe this might be an option if they would have something like this at the hosp. They might make the exception even if he is not technically sick but because he needs specialized care.

20. allisa

allisa Approved members

I do not know if I could handle labor and delivery with 2 little boys in the room :eek:

That is JUST ME....I know childbirth is a beautiful natural thing....but.....even if they aren't watching it....there is a lot to hear .....and it could be traumatic for them to see you in pain.....and you have to concentrate on LABOR....not others.

and as all us moms fear....what if you go into labor in the middle of the night ? Are you packing everyone up and dragging them all in to the hospital and you trying to be chipper and happy to keep their moods up ?

I LOVE that everyone here offered to help.....

CWD is the best :cwds:

but I think you need to REALLY talk to your mom again and make her understand that you NEED this from her.....it's not like you are looking for a night out on the town....does she know your alternative is to take 2 boys into the delivery room with you ( perhaps in the middle of the night) and she is okay with that ?

If she is okay and won't relent......then.....you are best to take the boys with you....who knows....focusing on them may take your mind off the labor....and it sounds like you all NEED to be a close family....nothing like childbirth to bring people closer:rolleyes:

I would be hurt :(.....and I say that from experience....my mom would probably say the same as your mom.....and....she loves her grandchildren....is a great mom....but....is afraid of the Diabetes stuff....and "too old to learn"...and it does make me sad....makes me feel like I have no one to count on in an emergency......:(...or at least....not the person that you wanted most to count on.....

It isn't the worst thing to have to bring the boys to the hospital with you....but....I imagine you are more upset by the knowledge that you don't have a close family member to call upon in an emergency....and that does stink :(