- advertisement -

Not happy with my DD's school right now...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by zapsmom, Nov 4, 2011.

1. zapsmom

zapsmom Approved members

I am bit angry at my DD's school right now especailly her EA who is htere to help her. Here is the story that jsut happened a hour ago....

The school has Zoee taking her mini backpack out with her for recess and every where she goes. They are trying to help her be responbility and know that she needs to keep her meter and emerg. supplies on her. It is the EA's job to help her with this. So today, I am walkign down the hallway to go and get my youngest DD from her class(she is in gr.k) and I see Zoee walking down the hallway with her jacket on. I stop her and ask why she has her jacket on. She informs me she has lost her pack! She thinks it is outside. I just look at the EA who is just standing there. The EA informs me that she didn't realize that it has been gone till now. They don't have to check her sugars till now b/c she was a 22 @ 10:10am. I then foolow my daughter outside which was a good thing I was there b/c they were sending her by herself to look for it. Zoee did find it across the school field. It had been outside since 10:20am and it was now 12. All I could and had been thinking, What would hav ehappened if her sugar dropped and they could not have found her pack with her meter in? First in my head, they put her at risk right there. Yes she was a 22 at 10:10 this morning but Zoee has been known to be that high and has dropped to a 2.0 inan hour and a half! Just the other day this happen! Secondly they were sending her outside by herself where there was no one out there with her. Zoee has other issues as well as D which is why she has a EA to help her. Am I wrong to think that they should not be making her 100% responbility for her pack? Am I wrong to be bit mad about all of this? Zoee has told me this is the second time this has happened. Once before and she found it in the lost and found. The EA said no but I kinda believe my child. I informed the EA and the resource teacher who is the supervisor to the EAs tha tI don't want this happening again. I feel they put her at risk. They should realize it is a safety issue. Should they not? Or am I making to much out of this???? What would you have done?

2. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Regardless of what anyone on here says, this is about your feelings and how you want your daughter handled at school. You know your daughter and her needs and abilities better than anyone here or at school. It is up to you to clearly communicate to the school personnel exactly how much responsibility you want your daughter to have. Maybe the next step is to call a meeting with the appropriate staff at the school and clearly state how you want them to handle this. If you have a document that states this then review that with them.

For what it is worth, I agree with you and you have every right to be upset. Good luck.

3. Butterfly Betty

Butterfly Betty Approved members

IMO, no, I don't think you are wrong. You're daughter is only 7, right? I think tht is a lot of responsibility for a 7 year old to handle. Why can't her EA hold it while she is outside playing? I think you should have a sit down with them and try to figure out what needs to be adjusted to make sure that she's kept safe at school.

And, like Christopher said, it really doens't matter what we think. Your feelings are your feelings.

4. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I don't think you are being unreasonable in being upset. Your daughter is 7, they should be guiding her, reminding her to have the bag with her, but not to have full responsibility for it.

I know I would be livid with the fact that my child was sent outside onto the school field by herself to look for the bag. I'm not even thinking blood sugars, I'm thinking a child being unsupervised outside. That I feel is definitely putting the child at risk.

All I can say is reiterate what your expectations of the EA and school are and make sure they know this isn't to happen again.

5. mommabear

mommabear Approved members

I do not think that you are wrong..I would be just as upset as you..To me this is unacceptable. :cwds:

6. Hayden'sMom

Hayden'sMom Approved members

yes. i would be upset too... and i would definately talk to them about it. however, i would go over the EA and talk to her supervisor or the nursing co-ordinator (that is who we have here).

7. MommaKat

MommaKat Approved members

I'm sorry you're having to deal with this. Does EA stand for education assistant? My thoughts are going off the idea that your dd has the EA all the time, and she is assigned to your dd, or her and just a few more kiddos.

If your dd has an EA, I think I'd want to meet with the teacher and the EA together to clarify the EA's duties with regard to dd, her supplies, etc. I agree with others who've said it's too much to put all the responsibility on your daughter, and they should be guiding and helping her remember.

More than that, however, I'd be concerned that the EA didn't think about the bag until just before a scheduled BG check. Clearly, that's the focus given what she said about not missing the bag until then, and I'd want to remind her and the teacher that testing could be needed at any time - that's why dd carries the bag at all times, and has an EA to assist her. I'd also really want to address the fact that the EA sent your dd to go look outside on her own. Regardless of whether a child has a condition or not, school's aren't supposed to allow children outside unaccompanied. Given that it was time to check her bg, that makes it all the more dangerous. In fact, I'd want to know from your dd whether they asked how she was feeling before sending her off on her own, too, as that will indicate if it's even something they're attuned to.

All that said, I'd still want to approach it as a conversation. Running into your dd in the hall helped you realize it would be a good time to revisit in class care, check in etc. You know, the whole catch flies with honey thing (though internally I'm upset for you.) I hope you can get some good resolution out of this.

8. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

Nope, not making too much of it, in my opinion. If it is clearly stated that one of the EA's duties is to help you daughter remember to have her pack with her at all times, then the EA failed in her duties.

I would also want to know why your daughter was being sent outside alone. This is unacceptable, regardless of any medical condition of any student.

9. zapsmom

zapsmom Approved members

Thank you all for the support. I have calm down abit now. Not sure why she was being send on her own but I will be keeping my eye on things from now on. Guess I am back to staying the morning at the school watching over her like I did last year! I have no trust in this EA now. This is not the first mistake she has made with Zoee. She was Zoee's EA last year. She is just not getting the D care at all. I am going to do some hard thinking over the weekend to see what I can get the school to do about changing this EA. She is not the person I want taking care of my child any longer!

10. MommaKat

MommaKat Approved members

Do you have a 504 plan or a health plan for your daughter, and does it list the expectations of the EA or responsibilities of the school (such as keeping the pack with her, not letting her go unaccompanied, etc.) If so, I don't think you have much thinking you need to do. This event shows that they are not adhering to the plan and meeting their responsibilities, nor is it the first time this EA failed to do so. Paint the picture that had your daughter made it outside on her own like she was told to do, and had a low, the outcome could have been disastrous for you and the school would face serious repercussions. Paint the picture, let them know you're aware that is not what they want, but that you also realize after a year plus this EA is not competent for the level of care needed. (Honey's great, but sometimes nice yet firm gets the job done...)

Just a thought of course, but I hear you when you say you don't want her providing care for your dd, and I don't blame you!

11. suzyr

suzyr Approved members

I understand how you feel...my daughter is 12, and just mentioned the other day that she realized she had left her bag outside at the track after they had gone outside for science. You set it down and get busy and it is easy to do. I almost smiled because sometimes I really want her to forget, if only for a fleeting moment that she has diabetes.
    We all forget, and while the EA may think she is helping your daughter, I always temper those thoughts with the fact our kids already have so much more they need to be responsible for above and beyond their peers. I do not expect that my daughter will remember everything all the time.... we all forget something now and then. I think it is unreasonable for the school staff to have that kind of expectation.

One thing that may help is an extra meter, strips, glucagon, fast acting carbs in a location central or handy in case she is low and the diabetes bag is not with your daughter. She knows the extra stuff is there, as well as the teachers, because as we all know with this darn disease, no matter how well you plan sometimes you just forget:)

12. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

I'd be upset with the school too. If that is the EA's job, then she'd better do it.

Until your daughter is big enough to take responsibility for her bag, could you use a tummietote or SPIbelt-type thing to keep the most essential supplies nice and close? I had a student with a peanut allergy who wore a fanny pack with her epipen until 6th grade, when she transitioned to a purse. It seemed to work for her.

13. sisterbeth43

sisterbeth43 Approved members

I feel it is the EA's responsiblity to make sure your DD has her bag and all times. Andi in no circumstances, D or not, a child should NEVER be sent outside by themself. That alone is putt ing the child at risk. Glad you were there to help her, but I would be livid if that had happened to one of my children.

14. Jake's mom in NC

Jake's mom in NC Approved members

I am sure you will want to address this with the school of course, but just to ease your mind in case it happens again, maybe keep an extra emergency kit and meter either in the office/nurse/homeroom. My son has his bag that he keeps with him, and I also have an extra bag that is always kept in the classroom with his teacher that has a glucagon pen, meter, juicebox etc. We haven't had to use it but I am glad to know it's there.