- advertisement -

Normal ISF for age/weight prepuberty

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by sugarsmom, Nov 4, 2014.

Tags:
  1. sugarsmom

sugarsmom New Member

For my own curiosity, I'd like to compare ISF with other 8 pre-puberty year old girls with diabetes approx. 55lbs. 50inches.

Is there a magical calculation for determining an ISF in children? I see a lot of calculations for adults, but they are post-puberty, and the calculation clearly doesn't work for kids.
    For example, our doctor told us for kids a good daily total basal rate is 0.5u/kg/day. It seemed correct for us.

I just like to know if we are anywhere close to 'average'. I know everyone's different and it depends on activity, etc etc. But I'm just curious! I like to compare.

Magical calculations. I'd like to have any.

2. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

We are not even close to that. 59 pound boy age 7 takes about 6u basal per day. By the above formula it should be more like 13.

Edited to add that I totally misread your post, which was about ISF. Ours is 130; based on the 1800 rule it's about right, though I think it's a bit conservative as it doesn't always get him down enough.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  3. dpr

dpr Approved members

My daughter is 8, 58 lbs and 52" tall. ISF of 350 (while she was still honeymooning it was 600), 11.5 units of basal a day and an average of 16 units a day total. She eats around 120-150 grams of carb a day.

4. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

I used to occasionally watch my friend's dd too and the two girls had radically different ISFs so I would be careful of comparing too much.

My understanding is that there is a number for how many units of insulin total (TDD, not just basal ) one gets per kg body weight. 0.5u is usually where they say the honeymoon ends and in puberty they get up to 1.0 u. That means pre puberty is somewhere in between those two. So say 0.75u would be average then if basal is half of that as most endo's say then that would be about .375u per kg body weight.