- advertisement -

nondiabetic H1aC 5.9

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by zuzinka, Nov 8, 2012.

1. zuzinka

zuzinka Approved members

I am not diabetic, but my daughter is T1 and therefore I am on this site. Randomly they have done blood test H1Ac for me and it came 5.9. In summer my fasting blood glucose tests was 82 twice I had it done. In the last few months I have stopped completely any activity due to us moving into another state and am loading myself in the evening with sweets. Could this be the problem or should I really worry? Today my fasting blood was 90 and 2 hours after burger 100.

2. Brenda

Brenda Junior Member

Is there some reason your A1c was checked? Were the previous results from a finger stick or venipuncture?

It is my understanding that you do not meet the critieria for a diagnosis of diabetes. If your fasting BG is over 100 mg/dl (5.6 mmol/L) and/or our two hour post meal reading is over 180 mg/dl (10.0 mmol/L), AND you are symptomatic, you probably have diabetes. Should you have these higher values, you would need to consult with your doctor about having formal testing done.

For more specific information, you may wish to read the ADA's Standards of Care (2012) at http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/35/Supplement_1/S11.full

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2012
  3. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Currently that's considered diagnostic of pre-diabetes. But some people are really just higher glycosolaters or have hemoglobin disorders than affect A1c.
    I would check after a larger carb meal than a burger.

4. zuzinka

zuzinka Approved members

thanks a lot, I guess I kind of know there is a problem but trying to find out otherwise. Doctor did not even blinked his eyes and when I told him its high he said that its still below diabetes screening which is 6.

Anyway, I am just hoping that it could be my lifestyle change, since the last 3 month, i have not had any excersise, no activity whatsoever, we have moved to a different country so stress is just helping it all. My food is pretty healthy apart of after food I am loading myself with sweets kind of like marshmallows etc. - pure sugar Loads of it.
    I am not overweight at all 169cm and 58kg so I though i should not be worry.
    Since 2 days now I have not touched sugar and I am even afraid to eat some carbs. Morning glucose was 79.
    But if I would be a nondiabetic than I guess even if i eat 5 kilos of marshmallows a day, pancreas should cover it. or am I wrong?
    I just so hope that its in the sweets and once I avoid it I will be again good to go :) Thanks all for replies
    You have helped me here 4 years ago when my little one got T1 and I just love this site for advices.

5. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

1 in 4 people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes is not overweight. The ADA says an A1c of 5.7-6.4 is enough to diagnose pre-diabetes, but that does assume that you're using a lab with the same reference range and, at least five years ago, not every one was.
    http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/prevention/pre-diabetes/diagnosis.html

Test and see what happens after you eat those marshmallows, if you eat it.

As a parent of a type 1 diabetic, you are also at an increased risk of developing adult onset type 1 diabetes. If, in six months, your A1c has gone up, I would suggest you ask for antibody tests.

6. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

My recent A1C was also 5.9. My doctor told me I was wrong in thinking that was a high number and it did not indicate pre-diabetes. I, too, eat too much sugar, though I get most of it in relatively healthy forms (natural sugars, fruits). I try to eat healthy most of the time, but love my fruits. I ate a ton of watermelon this summer. I have read that we should keep our sugar intake down to 25 grams a day so as to not spike our insulin levels. Are you kidding me? Only 1 banana has that much sugar!!!

7. Ali

Ali Approved members

Where did you hear this 25 grams of carbs a day idea? Not being snarky just really surprised at this number. I eat low carb and 25 a day seems really low. I am T1 and have trouble believing that a regular healthy pancreas and body can not do fine with a regular amount of healthy carbs. i.e. in my way of thinking any amount of natural fruits and vegs and whole grains would be fine, the truth is you just can not eat a ton of bananas, apples and oatmeal a day. Plus if you eat your carbs with some fat and protein you slow down any insulin spike. There are plenty of super healthy people who eat mainly grains and veggies and fruit. Japan is a good example with a diet with lots of rice. I am happy to be called out on my ideas as they are just my general thoughts.:p ali (As a T1 I also love my fruit and do eat it)

8. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

I should have said "fructose" instead of sugar and I did get mixed up on the two as they relate to bananas. You can apparently have 2 bananas a day. I grew up on the Mediterranean diet and we ate lots of bread, beans, fruit and sweets, but I have been dealing with some stomach problems lately and trying to get to bottom of it. I have given up gluten for a month and see no difference except less bloating. I think sugar may be the culprit, but have not been ready to limit it yet. Here is a webpage that summarizes what I am trying to say, but not doing a good job of saying
    http://lewrockwell.com/mercola/mercola209.html

9. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Loading yourself with sugar is not good for anyone. Try eating more protein to fill yourself rather than the sweets. Eliminating sugared drinks is a very efficient way to reduce the sugar consumed.

10. zuzinka

zuzinka Approved members

Thanks all for the replies,

I have now completely eliminated all the sugar from m diet and going low carb to get rid of my fat around tummy. Daily cardio would also help. And then in a month or so I would like to go for GTT to see what is happening with my health.

I hope this diet and approach would last for a life time and I guess it was a good wake up call for me.