- advertisement -

Non Diabetic Child.....

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by justice1315, Sep 13, 2013.

1. justice1315

justice1315 Approved members

My oldest was diagnosed at age 7 (now 9). When we found out, she had the usual symptoms of thirst, bed wedding, weight loss.

My youngest (6) has been complaining of stomach pain, and for the last three days has been throwing up. No fever, no other symptoms. Last time she was throwing up at 3 a.m., tested her urine with the ketone strips... extremely high. I then tested her BG with her sister's meter, 82. I have been tested her BG periodically the last few days, never been over 85.

My question is, for a non diabetic why is her ketones high?? Anyone have any experiences or wisdom to share? I'm taking her in to the doctor today. I thought it was just a stomach bug at school, but going on the third day now seems a bit long.

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Anyone who is sick with a stomach virus or otherwise vomiting for 3 days will be spilling ketones. These are starvation ketones, a byproduct of burning fat for fuel.

3. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Ketones are a normal byproduct of fat being used up. The reason we worry about them with diabetes is they require insulin to metabolize. In a non diabetic, insulin will eventually clear them, but while sick you'll see them because the body is still in starvation mode and burning fat for fuel.

In non diabetics ketones are not a problem. In diabetics they are because it can turn into ketoacidosis without insulin to deal with them.