- advertisement -

Non-D Summer Camps - Preparing your t1 - Ideas, Tips, Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Mommy For Life, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

Hi All

I am looking for feedback and suggestions. This summer, DD will be attending 3 different overnight camps. 2 out of the 3 are non D camps. The first non D camp is just a few weeks away. She is going overnight with our church to a river camp. She is signed up for a canyoneering adventure. Essentially, she will be climbing, walking, swimming through canyons that the river flows through.

I have spoken with the owner of the river water adventure camp. He actually thanked me for letting our sweet T1 go on this trip and mentioned he has a young T1 family member. We have discussed the options and different scenarios that need to be addressed to keep DD safe. I will also be going over the glucagon and high/low symptoms with her youth minister. I will be asking for someone to test DD at midnight. Ideally, 2 am would be the best, but not sure if someone would do that. I will ask though.

This is where I need your feedback. Since a portion of DD's trip will be playing/swimming in the river I am brainstorming for the best plan to ensure DD will be able to safely test, treat, and have access to insulin. All the guides on the river carry a dry pack.

My plan is this. When DD starts her adventure in the river, she will take off her pump and put in ziplock or some waterproof bag...stick that bag in a frio bag...and put that into the drypak. I have been told that it will get hot in the drypak so that is why I'd like to use the frio pak. It can get really hot here, so I am considering putting some blue ice on the outside of the frio pack.

Also, I am trying to figure out what to do with the Dex receiver. I found a drypak just for phones that should fit the dex perfectly. My thought is to stick dex in the drypack and have DD put that with her frio in the dry pack. I also purchased a waterproof lanyard that DD can wear that will have quick glucose gel paks in. (Extra ones will be with guide.) I am going to tell DD and her youth leaders that she should test every 30 mins on the river. Do you think that is too much? I still need to find out how long the kids will be playing in the river. I am guessing 2-3 hours, but not certain.

When I typed out 2-3 hours my heart skipped a beat. That is a long time without basal...but with all that activity do you think BGs would go crazy high? ALL basal and ISF rates will be adjusted so DD is getting less insulin for the 24 hours she is gone. I am not going to change her CR, but I may tell DD to knock off a unit or 2 depending on the situation.

We really want this trip to be a success. I am including DD in all the plan making conversations so she has some say on how to keep her safe.

What suggestions/feedback can you give? I was thinking of reducing basal rates by 30%. Would you reduce by more? I will be reviewing my plan with her endo team, but I would be grateful for any ideas/tips from those who have sent their CWD to similar non-d camps.

Thanks in advance for your responses!

____
    EDIT: I just got off the phone with our endo team. I LOVE our CDE! She helped me come up with this plan:

Change CR from 1:8 / 1:10 to 1:12 / 1:15
    Change ISF from 55 to 75
    Up BG target from 110/115 to 125/135
    Reduce basal by 20% - initially I was thinking 30% so I may still go with that %

For the 3 or so hours DD will be off her pump, she will test every 45 min to an hour (of course sooner if she feels low). She will give herself a correction if she is over 200. I doubt she will need a correction though. If they eat during the river fun time, DD will bolus for food and the pump will give a correction if needed. I am going to talk with DD that if she gets back to camp, and starts to run high, she may need to run a 20% higher temp basal for an hour or so till she comes down.

I know this is going to be a fantastic trip for DD! We are prepared and have a solid plan to keep the D beast from being a kill joy! (that's my prayer at least)

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  2. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

For non-D camp, we've gone with a 30% basal reduction (we start it the night before because excitement drops my daughter's BG), upped the carb ratios by 2-3, and we raise her target to 150. Because of all the activity, it gives her a bigger buffer before going low, and highs haven't been a problem. With water play, I'd go even lower.

Will she be using the G4 at night? I would want that even more than a scheduled check. My daughter has gone low at times other than by the clock at night. We also try a 10g uncovered mixed snack at bedtime to prevent lows as the muscles replenish their glycogen stores during sleep.

Is there any way for you to cut-the-cord for an Omnipod? We did for situations like this when tubed pumping is a bother. If not, I would have her reconnect once per hour or and bolus her basal for that hour. That way she should stay stable and not see post-off-pump highs.

3. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

i hope she has a fun time! Ashleigh will be going to church camp and diabetes camp. The church camp she's going as a counselor. it's about an hour away from us, in the valley. There is no cell phone reception at all (can't even text from this location) and the closest hospital is an hour away. I was planning on doing a -40% basal. Ashleigh runs lower in the summer and is more prone to low blood sugars. I didn't' think about reducing the C/R, but i'll probably do that too. And change her target range. She'll have her cell phone on her, just so she can set an alarm to test her sugar in the middle of the night. Do you think you should bring any back up lantus or levemier, in case something happens with the pump?

4. Mommy For Life

Thanks! I hope your daughter has a fun time too!! Yes, I'm sending lantus too just in case DDs pump breaks. I am also sending both glucagon kits. I read a horrible story of a mom who forgot to mix the glucagon and just injected the liquid portion of the kit. So from now on, I will send multiple kits when DD goes to camp or on overnights. DD will be wearing her dexcom so I am hopeful that will help avoid lows at night. I love seeing DD make these little steps towards independence, but the mommy in me just wants to scoop her up and keep her safe with me FOREVER. :smile:

5. kt_mom

kt_mom Approved members

DD is going to a non D overnight camp this summer as well. Thankfully its a church camp that is just up the road about 15 minutes from us. I plan to call them the week before to go over DD's needs for the week. We talked about camp at her doctor's appointment yesterday and they suggested lowering her Lantus by two units and upping her CR from B1:8 L/D 1:12 to B 1:15 and L/D 1:20. She said it was okay if she runs a little high that week but that she probably wouldn't with all the extra activity.

I bought some tape to cover her dex transmitter so hopefully it won't get water in it and will work good all week. I'm so nervous though.

6. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Make sure the counselor receives T1 basic training as well as the CNAs or nurses since she'll be with her the most. One of my daughter's counselors told me that the year before, she'd walked a kid across camp to the CNAs at a 33, not knowing how very low that was.

Our team tells us to touch base with my daughter once a day to help make adjustments as needed.

7. Mommy For Life

Olivia leaves tomorrow for her overnight adventure with our church! The support from our church's youth leader and others going on the trip has been a really blessing for my nerves. With the help of a 2 page doc and a practice glucagon kit, I went over low / high symptoms & treatments, when and how to use a glucagon kit, testing at night, guidelines for testing when she is canyoneering for 5+ hours down the river, hiking up to a waterfall, and climbing rock walls!

I contacted the owner of the water adventure camp she is going to be at. They were also beyond amazing with support. They emailed me a list of all the meals she will be eating, including snacks! They've assured me that their guides will be keeping an extra eye on DD and will keep her testing kit, dex, glucagon, and extra glucose in the dry pack.

I can't wait to hear how much fun she had!

8. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

That's so very nice to hear. :cwds: I'm sure she'll have a wonderful time with such caring support.

9. Mommy For Life

Thanks Sarah! I think I used about 4 miles of waterproof tape, tagaderm, and vet wrap that I am confident DD will not lose her Dex or have her site pop out. I also replaced the cartridge and battery cap just to make sure the pump was good to go to. Of course just as I was dropping her off this morning, her pump alarms "No delivery" Call Customer Service!! WTH I almost passed out with stress. I called Animas, I was told to remove battery cap and battery, rewind, load, and prime pump to clear the alarm. I was told the pump was OK, but if the alarms continued to call them and they would send out new pump. That was the first time we ever had an alarm like that. I made sure DD had a quarter with her and she heard to entire call and watched me clear the alarm, so she knows what to do if it happens again.

I love seeing DD taking these little steps towards D independence, but I admit it is a bit scary and stressful. :crazy: