- advertisement -

Non D son and low bgs

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by missmakaliasmomma, Feb 2, 2015.

1. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

Yesterday morning my son was acting sluggish and just not himself. We checked his bg just in case ( we really don't do it a lot, just when he acting odd) it was in the low 40s. He had a bottle of oj and eggs that morning and threw it up shortly after we found out he was low... Whether or not the vomiting was from feeling crappy from the low or bc of a virus, I don't know. Eventually we got him up to 63, then he came right back down. After awhile of trying different things like soda, icing- none of which he wanted since he was so out of it, I decided to do mini glucagon. I couldn't think of anything else to try and I was afraid by the time we got to. Hospital and they knew what was going on, it would have taken too long. He got 2.5 units out of a regular syringe, threw up but went to 87. It took two hrs total to get him up to normal.

In the middle of this, the endo on call at my daughters drs office, who is not her dr, was really not the most helpful but mentioned ketotic hypoglycemia, asked if he was skinny, etc.

After this I emailed my daughters endo asking her thoughts and help since I personally think his ped would just tell me to see an endo anyway. She wants to see him.

This was scarier than my daughters lows and I think the reason being is that she has a dx. He has nothing. She has a tool to catch lows, he doesn't. She comes up a lot quicker from a low. He didn't. Also, I guess in the back of my head I keep remembering my daughter was a month younger than him when dxd. It was just a rough morning. Really scary. He didn't act fully like himself until about 7 hours later. At this point, he had a low grade fever and was given Motrin.. He perked right up and has been fine ever since... Of course I didn't sleep lol.

Anyone have any thoughts or had anything similar happen? I've been a little worried because I could've sworn I read that a few kids before dx would have lows...

2. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

I have an online friend who has 2 kids with a hypoglycemic condition. Glucagon doesn't even work for them. Surprisingly, peanut butter crackers seem to work for them. Sugar does but like you explained, they kept dropping. I think the PB helped keep them up. They had to have PB crackers in classrooms like diabetics need their sugar in classrooms. And they had low pass out episodes, like it sounds like your child was headed towards. I would say just watch it and if it persists, definitely get it looked at but also work towards eating smaller meals / snacks more frequently - no more than 3 hours apart.

3. missmakaliasmomma

He eats often BUT sleeps all night so he is fasting for awhile. The low was found at 10 am which leads me to believe it started happening while he was still sleeping since it wasn't too too long after he woke up..

In a child with just hypoglycemia, when they pass out, will they always be ok if they're not given glucagon? I know normally when a person passes out, their body responds and they wake up but is that always the case?

4. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

I don't know the answer to the question but know that for my friend, Glucagon did NOT bring up the low. I think in the "pass out" zone, it took a Dextrose IV to bring them up.

5. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

My daughter was hypoglycemic for about 3 years prior to her T1D diagnosis, fasting blood draw in the 50s, etc. If I'd know then what I know now, I would have done Trial-Net and asked for a CGM to monitor. The year before her T1D dx, she was sick often. Her BG at diagnosis was only 250, but her A1C was an 11.2. She was not yet in DKA. I believe she was a slow onset over that year that her betas could no longer overproduce in their attempts to function. She didn't gain weight nor grow until she started on insulin. She never dropped during the nights like so many newly diagnosed kids do. Her daytime BGs were better than her nights. Once she started on insulin, she began soaring through the growth curves until she was back up at the 75%tile where she originally started (25%tile at dx). With that incredible amount of growth, it doesn't surprise me that she didn't drop at night.

I'm glad you've made an appointment with your endo for your son.

The juice is needed with lows like that, but it can also trigger the pancreas to release even more insulin, so the pb, etc. is crucial, as is a low glycemic diet.

6. missmakaliasmomma

I did think that the juice probably just triggered more insulin and made sense as to why my daughter goes up quick, because she obviously doesn't have that insulin just spitting out but he does. I was dead set against trial net but I'm rethinking it now. How do you get a cgm during trial net? Do you pay oop, does trial net cover it, insurance??

The dr DID request growth curves from his ped so she might be thinking the same thing

7. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

What a dirty trick...one kid doesn't make enough insulin, one makes too much! I hope you don't have a second dx coming. Good luck. Hopefully it's just a bug. Keep us updated.