- advertisement -

non-D overnight camp

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Debdebdebby13, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Debdebdebby13

Debdebdebby13 Approved members

DD just turned 7 and she is going to church camp for the first time. It's very short, 3 days, 2 nights. There will be a nurse there, but our church's children's minister is going to take care of most D things because she is going to be their counselor so she will be with DD all the time.

I explained a bunch about t1d recently and I loaned her our copy of the pink panther book to read before camp and she said she's been reading it and things are make more sense than when I overwhelmed her with explanations :p

It will be hot outside and they will be doing the usual camp things like swimming, sports...basically lots of running around.

DH and I are wondering if we should lower her basal rates a little for camp just to prevent some of the possible activity induced lows and to give the children's minister a little less to worry about. I certainly don't want her to run high for most of 3 days, but I'm more comfortable with her hanging out a little higher during that time.

I've toyed with the idea of just going to camp too so I can take care of her, but that will suck a lot of the fun out of it for her, plus I'm 7 months pregnant and I just don't think I can tolerate 3 days in the heat.

Any advice on dealing with non-D camp?

ETA: the children's minister is going to be texting me nearly constantly the entire time with all of her numbers, carb counts etc so I can manage from home with any help she may need and the camp is only 45 minutes away in a worst case scenario. DD is also really good with helping with her own care and so I think she will be able to do a lot to make sure she is getting the care she needs.

2. sooz

sooz Approved members

Saw your a1c in your signature so I can tell you know what you are doing. Good job! I think it is a good idea to cut back a LITTLE on her basals to account for all the extra activity. It sounds like you have great support and communication. Be sure to send lots of extra pods just in case and tell them to keep her extra insulin out of the heat. Will they be able to handle a pod change if it is necessary? It sounds like you are close enough to be able to go do it if you have to. I'm sure she will love it!

3. Debdebdebby13

Debdebdebby13 Approved members

We were planning on just going out there if she loses her pod. That way we know the extra insulin has been taken care of and we know the pod is filled correctly etc. In a perfect world that won't happen though, haha.

4. *Shannon

*Shannon Approved members

My daughter is leaving for diabetes camp on Sunday. We have been instructed by the camp to reduce basal by 25%.

Hope she has a great time!

5. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

When our daughter goes to church camps, we always reduced basal. Also, on high activity days, she drank a Yoo-Hoo chocolate drink at bedtime. Rarely did she need a correction in the morning.

At diabetes camp a few weeks ago, they reduced her basal 30%.

6. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

I'd lower basal slightly to account for all the activity. Ashleigh is at diabetes camp now, and they lowered her basal by -20%