- advertisement -

Non-D Baby, Gagging, Refuses to eat...

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Kelly.Marie, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Kelly.Marie

Kelly.Marie Approved members

I am beside myself and am finally turning to you all to find out if anyone else has had this experience and what the outcome...
    My Sean will be one year old next week. He has very little interest in food and when he does try to eat, he gags. We started feeding therapy last week and after a few minutes, he was tired of trying. I now sit at a quiet time, every one out of the kitchen and sit with him and give him tiny pieces of chicken, cheerios....pushes it away. So far, only yogurt will he eat. I am also very nervous feeding him because the gagging is scary!
    He has seen a pediatric GI who ruled out reflux. Was scoped and found to have large adenoids. So, we had those removed.
    Oh, and he has been bottle fed. Never breast fed.

2. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

What is the feeding therapy? OTs will often work with kids with feeding issues, especially if it's related to sensory integration and the child not liking the texture of foods.

3. Kelly.Marie

I never heard of feeding therapy either! It is done by a speech therapist. Basically, in our one session (after the eval), Sean's tongue is still thrusting out
    instead of moving food back. And, he does not "chew" with his gums. And, perhaps he has a hyper gag reflex. I don't know. The therapist uses different tools to get food into his mouth in the proper position and I think, will basically desensitize his aversion to different textures.
    Part of me just thinks maybe he is a little behind and we should treat as an eight month old and start from there. But, he is not keen on the purees either.

4. LizinTX

LizinTX Approved members

Have you had a swallow study done? If not I would recommend it, you sure don't want him to gag or have the food go into his lungs.

5. 2type1s

2type1s Approved members

I am an OT and feeding therapist. I work with children with oral motor, and sensory based feeding difficulties. If a swallow study has not been done, it should. This allows one to see what happens to the food in his mouth, and as he swallows. If there are no problems swallowing, then it is oral motor and sensory based. sometimes there are conditions like food allergies and medical conditions (like eosinophilia ) that cause similar reactions. Rare, but it has happened twice in the past year!

6. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I have not been there, but advise to know your gut and get help.

It sounds like you are trying to figure out things and that you are on the right path.

7. Kelly.Marie

Thanks for your input. Sean did see a pediatric GI who was very sure it was a food aversion and that a swallow study was not needed. Sean also saw an ENT physician who scoped him and his adenoids were huge. Sean also AWAYS has a runny nose (his adenoids were removed two weeks ago). He does see an OT who specializes in feeding disorders and during his eval, Sean spit up and it was all mucus; this is what prompted us to the ENT. She does not think a swallow study is necessary as Sean does drink. She thinks that with all the post-nasal drip and big adenoids, that he was avoiding food and now he is so old that it is becoming sensory. Also, his tongue does not move side to side so she feels he is unable to chew/swallow as most of us do and the food is reaching his throat before he is ready to swallow causing him to gag.

I have scheduled Sean to see an allergist next week to r/o any allergies (we have had a few wheezing episodes recently...) My pediatrician said not necessary, but she also told me not to worry about Jack when I called and said he was drinking/peeing alot. So, yes, I go with my gut. But, I also think my gut is a bit hypersensitive due to past experience.

Again, thank you so much for taking the time to "talk" to me. I so appreciated you all!!!!
    Kelly

8. Kelly.Marie

oh, and we just started pepcid in case of laryngeal reflux and he will be having a CBC next week.