- advertisement -

Noah's blood work is back..

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Kaylas mom, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Kaylas mom

Kaylas mom Approved members

His ICA or islet cell antibody was 5.. ref range less than 5.
    His anti GAD 65 was 309.. ref range either 0-2 or less than .02 couldn't really understand her.

His insulin levels were high tho.. at 35 ref range somethign to 25.

So... now we are waiting on the endo office to schedule an appt. Noah's fasting numbers are still pretty good. Usually around 106 to 116. His after meal number have gone as high as 270 that we have seen.

I am hoping it will be a long while before he needs to start insulin.

2. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

His insulin levels, not insulin antibody levels or c-peptide levels?
    If it was insulin, it should have said the blood sugar at the time of the test.

If it helps, diabetes associated with GAD65 antibody is frequently slower onset than diabetes associated with ICA512.

3. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

From my understandng, whih is fairly limited.

The sooner insulin is started, Lantus/Levimier?? then fasting and after meal BGs can come down and give the body a break and hopefully enter a honeymoon.

My dd is positive for 3 of 4 antibodies, but has a normal OGGT.

Have you considered any trials h may be eligible for?

IF it were my child, I would want to start a basal, one shot of long acting insulin ASAP and hope for a good strong honeymoon to start.

Good luck, and wishing you the best possible outcome.

4. Yellow Tulip

Yellow Tulip Approved members

Oh Amy, I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it will be a long time before he needs insulin. So sorry... Sending you hugs...

5. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

Are you near a major research center where he can enroll in a study? If not, I'm sure you can contact Barbara Davis as I know they have studies ongoing on preventing the onset.

Please do your research, but I heard of a study using Omega 3's to help delay the onset.

We caught Sam's D, practically a fluke it was so super early. We literally took him off of all insulin after a week---per endo's instructions, and he maintained a good few months and then started on lantus only. I think it was 10 months before he even needed log with meals and even then, a super small amount--too small to even draw up in a syringe.

Sorry to hear your news, but I know your boy is in good hands with a mama like you!!

6. Kaylas mom

That is good news. As for the test, I am not sure, the nurse just called with the abnormal results. I should have the paper copy Sat to look at.

7. Kaylas mom

Thanks, I will ask about that.

8. lhazc

lhazc Approved members

I am sorry your having this happen again, look for a trial or study, maybe you can prevent full onset for a while. Caden was positive for GAD 65, auto insulin and something 512.. I think. He was Dx almost a year after the first lab was positive and needed very little insulin (just meal bolus)for another 5 months after that. His honeymoon was over in November.. It seems.. I had hoped for a longer strong honeymoon since we had caught it so early, but I guess not. Everyone is different I know, but that was how it happened for us. Hang in there.