- advertisement -

No symptoms but high blood sugar?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by escalade, Jun 12, 2008.

1. escalade

escalade New Member

Hi guys,

My son (8 yrs) had his yearly check-up today. They found sugar in his urine so they pricked him. The result was 144. We have been told it was high. So, we had a long talk with his doc. He has absolutely no apparent symptoms. The doc said it might be high because he had a really huge lunch just half an hour ago and he was on oral steroids (5-day asthma regimen). She wanted us to stop the oral steroid and come back in the morning hungry for another prick to see if his sugar level is still high. If it is high, she will send us to Children's Hospital for treatment.

Since I came back from the doc, I have reading about Type 1. It seems really daunting. Since he has asthma that is definetely not under control, I am really praying for a miracle for him not to have D. He is currently taking his emergency asthma inhaler 4 times a day and using 2-3 times a week means your asthma is not controlled. On top of his severe asthma, I don't how he will handle D. He already resent his asthma.

Do you guys know anybody who got diagnosed without any symptoms? Will he still test high tomorrow? Should I just prepare myself mentally for D?

I am so grateful for this forum and best wishes to everybody.

2. Caydens_Mommy

Caydens_Mommy Approved members

I hope that your son does not have D, but I will say that if he does, Asthma and D can both be managed.. My son has asthma, D and SEVERE allergies.. He does breathing treatments from a nebulizer for his asthma.. It does not seem to affect his D at all..

Although not sure why your dr would say that 144 is high, that is not a high number for us!

3. Mom2Will

Mom2Will Approved members

I am praying that you do not get a diabetes diagnosis. I know nothing about asthma + diabetes. Just want you to know you'll be in my thoughts and prayers. 144 would be a great number for us, by the way.

4. escalade

escalade New Member

Thank you so much guys for replying. I am surfing the web. I can't sleep. I am too nervous for the morning's appointment.
    I didn't know anything about D. I have been really reading for hours. My mom (65yrs) has Type 2 and now I realize what a bad daughter I have been not knowing about D when my own mom has D.
    144... I wouldn't even know if this # was high if the doc didn't say so but she did. Apparently your little ones has really high numbers. My best wishes are to you guys.

5. Caydens_Mommy

Caydens_Mommy Approved members

Try to relax and not worry about it, till you have something more concrete.. When my son was diagnosed he was in the 600's, so there is a big difference there.. Just know that if he is diagnosed it is not the end of the world even if it seems like it at the time..

By the way Type 1 and Type 2 are too completly different diseases, so don't try to compare your mother to your son if he is diagnosed..

6. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

Hi,

I also hope the Dr has good news for you. 144 is high but not extremely high. So hopefully it was just the steroids and/or food. Try to get some sleep. And let us know what you find out tomorrow.

7. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

Actually I think your son's numbers were pretty good considering he had just eaten 30 minutes before. Steroids can raise blood sugars. (It is called Steroid Induced Diabetes) but usually leaves once the steroids are stopped. I have asthma as well as diabetes and it can be a pain. I am sorry that your son is going through this. Give him a (((HUG))) for me .
    Let us know what happens in the morning. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

8. Aidan'sMom

Aidan'sMom Approved members

I hope everything is fine and you get the good news that your child doesn't have diabetes. It is so funny that the 144 you are worried about would make me jump for joy:D if it popped up on Aidan's meter, LOL!! Hang in there and think positively, either way everything will be okay!!

9. selketine

selketine Approved members

If this was Vegas and I had to bet I would bet that it was the steroids and not type 1. My type 1 son has been on oral steroids (prednisone or something like that - with a P) and it is well known that they raise blood sugar of type 1's. I think this is causing the somewhat high (it isn't super high) readings your son got. Blood sugar readings in non diabetics also go up when they are sick.

I fully agree with the dr. on retesting and watching but I think you have good odds. Let us know what happens.

10. wilf

wilf Approved members

There is a good chance that the high blood sugar was caused by the combination of steroids and a big meal. I am very much hoping that that's all it was - feel free to post here again if they're doing further tests and you need some help understanding results..

11. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

First, I'm sorry you have to worry about this at all.. second, 144 is high, but not outrageously high.. it could easily be caused by the big meal and the steroids, my non-d daughter has been as high as 170. Second, for sugar to show up in his urine, at some point in the last 24hrs his sugar had to have been above 180, again, easily caused by steriods.. third, I'm so happy to hear that his dr. is taking the time to look into this and not just blowing it off, it means you have a dr. that knows something about type 1 diabetes (by the way, type 1 and type 2 are two totally different diseases, only thing in common is the body fails to regulate blood sugar..).. I hope you come back in a few hours and tell us all is good:)

12. Hollyb

Hollyb Approved members

I do know a little guy who was in a similar situation about three years ago. I think they found an elevated sugar in his check-up, not way high but a little high for a non-diabetic child. After some more investigation the parents were told it was most probably the earliest signs of diabetes, given a meter and told and to keep an eye on his blood sugar. Three years later, his BGs are still completely normal and the docs have concluded that some other factor -- a virus, some stressor -- temporarily bumped up his blood sugar.

So I have my fingers crossed that it's big meal + prednisone you're seeing.

13. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

I would bet that its the steroids and the meal. I have a friend with a diabetic and had to put her daughter on steroids for 3 weeks and she was fighting extreme highs the entire time. Its not uncommon for a non-diabetic to have bouts of higher blood sugar. I imagine you will be fine but at least your doctor thought to check it and follow-thru - many are just in denial

14. Mindy

Mindy Approved members

I am hoping it is the steroids. I have to take rounds of oral steroids from time to time, and am at the moment. I sometimes even go into the 200's while on Prednisone, but my #'s are always back to normal once I am back off. Good luck.