- advertisement -

No School Nurse

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by NomadIvy, Jun 5, 2010.

?

Will you send your ~d-child to a school w/ no school nurse?

Poll closed Jun 12, 2010.
  1. Yes

49.0%
  2. No

35.3%
  3. Maybe

15.7%
  1. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

Yes and I do. VERY few schools around here have nurses, even part time. We are a small district, about 3,000 kids I believe and six buildings. There is not a nurse on the district payroll at all.

Yes I have to do a lot of training but it has worked just fine for four years now. We have at least two, usually three trained staff members in the building at all times. I have my cell phone on me at all times when at work and answer if not immediately within a couple of minutes (you know if I have to use the bathroom or am in a meeting and need to excuse myself). I have used up reams of paper making up instructions, put together kits for teachers.

I think training, written instruction and being able to be reached by phone are key. That and caring and intelligent school staff.

2. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

Yes, I agree it is absolutely part of her "work"! :DThat is it exactly. And it sounds like you have a few staff on board with you. l think it is great that they are willing to do the shots and most importantly to LEARN what is needed.

I'm very glad you are being practive with this and I hope it goes really well. Keep us posted!

3. Kaylas mom

Kaylas mom Approved members

I voted maybe.. Our schools here do not have full time nurses, they get shared with two sometimes three schools.

Nick's school last year only had a nurse 2 days a week and a health tech was in charge the other days. Kayla's school was the opposite, three days with a nurse, two with a health tech. (the health tech is there all 5 days). The health techs are totally trained for checking bg and doing shots if needed (Kayla does her own tho). Usually when I got a call it was from the health tech asking questions about bg numbers and one day there was a sub nurse, I got called a lot that day.

4. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We are in public school, but have a ft nurse at all times. Unless something changes in our town, ft nurses all through HS.

We were in a preschool that did not have a nurse, but we have several staff members willing to care for Abby. We even had one who chose to learn in case he ever had another D student down the road, he would have a sense of what is required of him.
    I think the big thing is to guage how willing the staff members are. We had one who was not willing at all because of her fear of needles. Check her off the list. Another said she was willing, but really wasn't. We warned and warned that if Abby acted out of character then please check bg right away. She didn't. Found Abby curled up under a table. Turns out bg was 49. Checked her off the list.
    So, in our case, we had both positive and negative experiences.
    I made sure to ask the staff, are you willing to care for my child, give glucagon and handle an emergency? If you aren't I won't think any less of you, but we need to get this established now and not later.
    As I said, only one was unwilling to do it.

5. MamaChrissa

MamaChrissa Approved members

I just wanted to throw out that just because a school has a full time RN does not guarantee competent care. Our school nurse is an absolute waste of space. Unfortunately, to this point we have had to use her. (Thank to NYs laws, only RNs can "administer" insulin.) I have been fortunate to have a very competent kid, as related to his D care, but other D kids in the school have had nothing but problems with her.

6. kpoehls

kpoehls Approved members

The fact is that our school does have a nurse, but if it did not, I would have to train the staff to take care of her.

7. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

That's the rub!
    You want someone who knows what they are doing, title or no title.
    We are lucky because we are blessed with very competent nurses up through middle (don't know about HS, but not worrying at this point).