- advertisement -

no phones- very frustrated

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Bigbluefrog, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Bigbluefrog

Bigbluefrog Approved members

We are going on our 4 th day without cell phones working. All 4 phones will not work in our house. We have to drive 1 mile out to get a signal.

Tried explaining this online to a Sprint Agent in chat - explained we have no service- for all our phones in the neighborhood.

You need to call 800 number...funny hahah- can't my phone will not work with out a functioning cell tower.
    Agent= no voice outages have been reported.

Me: well I am reporting an outage.

Agent: Have you tried turning your phone on and off?

Me: WHAT??? That wont fix your tower, please fix this issue.

Agent - we are not able to fix the issue - go to your nearest store

Me: what can't you dial out either? Your a phone company- call your technician and please get this fixed.

Day two - again called outside home area- agent is unaware of cell tower or voice outage.

I reported the outage yesterday.

4 calls later and one store shop later- I want to end my phone contract- I should not have to pay for a service I am not getting.

Hope I don't need to call 911- because I won't be able to.

2. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

I agree with you that you should not have to pay for service you are not getting. At the very least you should get those months free that you have no service.

3. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

I get the frustration! But I do know turning off and popping out your battery can reset a phone so it will get the signal when it could not before. There are updates they push out and if you miss some by not shutting off then you cannot connect anymore to some towers.

4. McKenna'smom

McKenna'smom Approved members

There's something to be said for good old fashioned land lines. Just saying.;)

Hope your problem gets fixed soon.

5. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

This is why I keep a landline. $20/month without all the bells and whistles.

6. caspi

caspi Approved members

We gave up our landline a few years ago but recently decided to get a basic line in case something should ever happen to my cell phone when I'm home alone. Anything can happen - glass of water spills on it, it gets dropped, etc. - and then I'd be SOL without a phone until hubby or the kids got home.

To the OP, you may want to try the suggestion of pulling the battery out and putting it back in. You never know! ;) Hope it gets worked out soon!

7. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

I only have a land line for regular use. I have 2 cell phones that stay turned off and are for 911 calls when we're out and about only. My USA phone costs me $4.99 a month to keep active, 10 cents a minute if I need to use it. My Canadian phone is $35.00 month with 150 minutes I never use. My landline is unlimited North American Long distance, 1000 overseas minutes, and gives me my hi speed internet, for $55.00 per month

8. PixieStix

PixieStix Approved members

I have always kept our landline & an old plug-directly-into-the-wall phone only b/c of DS, thinking if the cell phones were out we could at least have access to call 911. Earlier this month our area was hit with a big storm that knocked out power for over a week for some homes, ours was out for 4 days. Oddly enough, the landline did not work the entire time. Cell phone was out at first, but on day 2 we could text, day 3 we could use phone. Now thinking maybe landline serves no real purpose for us to continue.

9. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

we moved to the bottem of a hole, and dont get any cell service at all, we have to drive out of the park the mile, which is also uphill to make any calls. I doubt we will ever have cell service at the house

10. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

That's not an option everywhere... where I am it's about $65 a month for very basic service with NO extras, and to call the town just 20 miles away (or our cell phones) is considered "long distance"... it's a complete rip off and verizon gets away with charging what they do siply because they can... and because we're rural we don't have any other options other than just not having a landline (so we don't - it's much cheaper having cell phones).

Luckily we get a good signal where we are, and failing that our internet (which isn't cable or DSL) is just good enough for VoIP. We could use google voice to call if our cells weren't working.

Microcells are also an option... I'm surprised that Spring hasn't suggested that to the OP.

11. Bigbluefrog

Yup, we tried that. It isn't just our phones. All our neighbor's with same cell service have the same issue.

Finally got through to customer service, this time they acknowledge they are upgrading the towers to accommodate all the smart phones needing data and that means the 3 G and 4 G needing more storage. This guy said we need to be patient and we will not be getting service for another two weeks.

And would not release us from contract. $200 per phone to cancel, $350 for smart phone.

After 7 days, my husband was done....we switched cell companies. We went to a new service and got 4 phones that work! Yeah!

Btw a friend stopped over, he could not dial out or get a signal....must be sprint?
    He said how did you know.....
    :rolleyes:

12. caspi

caspi Approved members

This makes no sense whatsoever. How can a company just shut down service to its customers for 2-3 weeks??? :confused:

13. Bigbluefrog

I agree!
    I don't believe they realized it would be shut down. After many calls we got to the corporate level, and he sounded frustrated too. Somehow when they upgraded the towers making them more powerful - they did something wrong, so we get bars, but no dial tone.

It is really sad when you have to leave the house and drive out of the neighborhood to get voicemail.

Anyway- problem resolved, we got a new carrier. I can make calls again!