- advertisement -

No new pods until late in year.

Discussion in 'Insulin Pumps' started by denise3099, May 31, 2012.

1. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

FDA has not apporved the new pods as of today, even though Insulet wanted to start sending out new pods mid June. I wrote to them asking for a timeline and this is what I got back:

So if you were putting off jumping on the tubeless wagon for the summer until the new pods came out, go ahead and jump now b/c they aren't coming out. They have a deal of 200 bucks for the pdm if you already pump, until the end of June. I ordered this, but figured that as soon as the deal is over, the new pdm would come out. But that doesn't seem likely.

2. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

That sucks. By the time they ever come out they're going to be totally outdated.

3. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We'll wait for the new pods. The current pods are too big for my son's liking.

4. caspi

caspi Approved members

What a crazy mess! They are also supposed to be redesigning another new PDM that is supposed to come out next spring with the One Touch strips. I wonder if they will now wait and have one launch instead of one right after the other?? :confused:

5. swellman

swellman Approved members

Why would you assume that the approval process would be so much faster for the new, new one than the old, new one?

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  6. Kunkfam

Kunkfam Approved members

Ugh!!! This is crazy! It just does not seem like it should be taking so long!

7. caspi

caspi Approved members

LOL, very true. Part of me can't help but wonder if they are holding back on the old, new one so that they can launch the new, new one instead. Only time will tell.... ;)

8. denise3099

Apparantly, at least as of Feb., they are planning to release the new small pods asap (which now seems the end of 2012) but the small pods will be compatible with the new new pdm, sometime in 2013. So no they are not holding the new small pods, unless I'm reading htis wrong?

9. denise3099

Yikes-just saw this on a buisness site. Mid 2013 for both? Uh oh. :eek:

10. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Hmmmm. It's not clear to me that the new pods won't be out until 2013. It's hard to tell from the press release, but I always got the feeling that the smaller pods would be out before the "new new" PDM.

On another note, what's up with the One Touch deal being "exclusive" at Insulet's discretion? Animas and One Touch are owned by the same company! I doubt they're going to stop using One Touch as their linked meter!

11. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

I took exclusive to mean Insulet would use One Touch exclusively.

A rep told us the new pods would have a new PDM, not necessarily the new new one but they wouldn't work with the current one. No idea if that's true but I did get a survey a month or so ago that asked how I'd like to learn about a new PDM.

My question is would the new pod pdm still use freestlye strips? I've got a bit of a stockpile but it's not worth it to add a lot to it if the strips will be changing soonish.

12. caspi

caspi Approved members

My understanding is that PDM that was due to come out this year still uses the Freestyle strips. They have an agreement until 2013.

ETA: I'm also planning on continuing to use the Freestyle PDM even after the One Touch PDM comes out until I use up our stockpile and in the interim will be able to stockpile the new One Touch strips. ;)

13. betty6333

betty6333 Approved members

Unfortunately, this doesn't surprise me in the least... :rolleyes:

Luckily pod size isn't an issue here.... Frankly I'd rather them get integrated sooner than later if I had a choice, but that too is likely several years away....

14. Tripper

Tripper Approved members

So to renew this thread.... Are the smaller pods making their way to the field? We received a letter telling us to expect them to contact us, but have received 2deliveries of the current pod.

15. caspi

caspi Approved members

Yes, they are being sent out but to new customers first. Our warranty was up and I was told by Insulet that we would still have to wait so we went through a DME provider and received them within 2 weeks. We haven't started using them yet as we're using up the old pods.

16. lakevictoria

lakevictoria Approved members

Our new pods are in route! :D