- advertisement -

No lockers at HS? Anyone reccomend a good backpack?

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by MamaBear, Aug 2, 2011.

1. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

Well we just went to the HS to pick up my non D kid's freshman schedule, pay lab fees for some classes and find her classrooms. While paying the fees, they also hand out a few of her text books. Said she'll be given more the first day of school. When I ask about locker assignments, gal at the desk says they are not giving out lockers this year. HUH? All the books, supplies, and stuff that come along with high school, and no lockers to use between classes?:eek: So much for my daughter's back and neck! She (of course) is refusing the idea of a rolling backpack. Anyone know of any sturdy backpacks that can take a load of HS books without the straps breaking off?

2. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

They did the same thing when I was in high school to prevent students from stashing drugs in their lockers. So we carried them in our sturdy Jansport backpacks with the leather on the bottom (shhh don't call the vegan police). Mine finally broke after a dozen years and I used it through college.

3. MamaBear

I won't tell the vegan police. I don't even know where headquarters is! Thanks for the suggestion. I guess gone are the days of being forced to share lockers with some kid whose last name started with the same letter.

4. MissMadisonsMom

MissMadisonsMom Approved members

Jansport or Northface - very sturdy. Madison has used her Northface backpack for 3 years now - it has the perfect pocket on the top to store her meter, lancet and strips. She empties the strips out about once a month and it's shocking how many accumulates.

5. MamaBear

Thank you. I have never heard of Northface. I'll have to look into that!

6. MissMadisonsMom

MissMadisonsMom Approved members

7. MrsBadshoe

MrsBadshoe Super Moderator

Landsend are tough and have great straps......

8. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

Checkout the Dakine backpacks...popular with the skateboard crowd so they are very cool, have lots of great pockets and some have an insulated area for their lunch that would be great for diabetic supplies.
    It is the only one my daughter wanted this year, but I think she made any excellent choice and we were lucky enough to get it on sale.

9. Tricia22

Tricia22 Approved members

Another fan of the NorthFace backpacks here.... have had one for.... 5 years ormore now... and since they are geared towards the outdoorsy crowd, every model I have seen has water bottle pockets on the sides...the straps are also padded and comfy...

10. caspi

caspi Approved members

The best backpack is one she will be comfortable with, so you need to take her with you to the stores and try some on. My oldest has to carry all of his books with him as well, so a comfortable, and roomy, backpack is a necessity. :cwds:

11. Wendy12571

Wendy12571 Approved members

My favorite backpacks are the LLBean Deluxe Bookpacks. I had one that lasted me from middle school through college. I got a 2nd because it started to fade. The one awesome thing is if it starts to break LLBean replaced one for my niece. They are pricey, but I will tell you they wear like Iron. I still have my original one and 2nd one and then have a third rolling one.
    Wendy

12. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

Another vote for LL Bean. Best thing about them, as Wendy said, is the warranty. I've sent two different ones back for repair after 5+ years of constant use. One of them they replaced, and one of them they repaired. When each of my kids starts high school, they get one LL Bean backpack. I told the boys to choose carefully because it's the only backpack I would buy them for high school! Jayden's cheap backpack from last year broke, so she's actually getting her LL Bean backpack one year early, for eighth grade instead of ninth. Big fans around here!

13. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I still have mine from college, and that was, well a long, long time ago.

My kids get lockers this year and they are so small you can't even fit a winter coat in them, so kids don't wear winter coats. Don't know why they even bother to give the lockers out, you can't fit much in them.

14. hrermgr

hrermgr Approved members

No lockers??? Isn't that a right of passage in high school--trying to open the lock on your locker and getting everything you need for your next class (or 3 because your locker is on 2nd floor and classes on 5th floor) in about 3 minutes??? Crazy if you ask me:D

15. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

Isn't that strange how schools can be so different? Our high school you are prohibited from carrying around a backpack during the day (must stay in locker all day) which is difficult in a very large high school. Do they both think it's the most safe option? :) Some of the companies listed would have a guarantee if the backpack breaks which might be nice as our straps would always pull away from the material.

16. MamaBear

That would probably be a good choice for her as far as coolness and style go.;)
    Oh I will definitely take her with me. I have to because anything I would pick would be too pink, too girly, too green, too plaid,too ugly, too cutsie... you get the idea.:rolleyes:
    No kidding! I had to share a locker with someone I hardly knew, trying to put away my algebra book and find my biology book in the middle of all her stuff, and still make it to class. :p
    I guess what I tell my kids about people "everyone is different" applies to schools as well.;) And straps breaking, well backpacks just wearing out quickly in general is why I posted this.
    Seems I always get something that looks and feels sturdy, then a few months into school year, rips, tears, straps coming off. Thanks all for your suggestions. I'm definitely thinking this year I will spend a little more to get something that will last a little longer.

17. tbcarrick

tbcarrick Approved members

I see no one has said anything about Swiss..They sell them at Kohl's..on sale for about 40$,regular 80$.This is all my son will carry..He can fit loads of things in it..Extra food, water bottles, gym clothes, plus 3 binders and 3 books..Front pocket for meter and glucose..Lasts about 3 years and it does come with warranty..:)

18. MamaBear

Oh we love Kohls! I'll check those out too! thanks!

19. Adinsmom

Adinsmom Approved members

Check with the school, they may provide her with a set of books to keep at home and then when she is at class the teacher has a class set. That is what the middle school does in our little town. My dd still needs to carry a backpack/tote for her huge binder and stuff. But at least she doesn't have to lug textbooks between classes. She trades off between the two styles throughout the year.

20. MamaBear

They don't have extra copies. We are required to fill out a little form stating we have to pay for the books in full if they are lost or damaged. Then check the books out at the school bookstore for a fee.