- advertisement -

No flour, no sugar diet question

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by WendyTT, Mar 24, 2011.

1. WendyTT

WendyTT Approved members

Hi--has anyone ever tried the No Flour No Sugar diet? I've been on it now for two straight weeks with not a single pound lost and today I had gained a pound. Just wondering what I'm doing wrong. I don't have much weight to lose, I really only want to lose about 5 pounds and thought this would be a quick way to do that. Anyone have any experience with the diet and care to share? Thanks.

2. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Hi,

How about meeting with a nutritionist? I think maybe hidden cals are the problem:confused: Are you also exercising enough to burn those cals? Have you tried switching to low GI meals?

Good luck.:cwds: I just have to look at something and I gain weight.:eek:

Oh, one more thing - get your thyroid checked out.

3. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

If you were not eating any sugar (assuming you mean carbohyrdates) what is there to eat but veggies, proteien and fat?

I thought that most lost on this kind of carb free diet. I would cut back on the fat and protein and eat more veggies.

4. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

I have heard of it but haven't tried it. Also remember there are hidden sugars in other forms. There was a blog entry by David Spero who has Type 1 in Diabetes Self Management on Corn being used as a form of sugar and not just HFCS. Here is the link. http://www.diabetesselfmanagement.com/Blog/David-Spero/where-the-sugar-comes-from/?ref=ls
    It really is worth reading. I have removed corn from my diet completely or at least tried to but it is very hard because the stuff is in everything.
    I am not saying everyone should avoid corn but I do because the pain and agony I go through for up to 48 hours is just not worth it.

5. MissMadisonsMom

MissMadisonsMom Approved members

Can you give us a sample of what eat during the day?
    Breakfast
    Lunch
    Dinner
    snack

There might be some hidden sugar/carbs in there. Are you exercising as well?

6. WendyTT

WendyTT Approved members

I do have hypothyroidism--have had it for 6 years now, and have been able to keep pounds off during all that time but now they are creeping up. What I've been eating for lunch during this time is mainly tacos, taco salad and nachos--I eat lettuce, sour cream, cheese and salsa on them. For dinner I've been eating a meat such as pork chops or roasted chicken, some kind of potatoes or rice and a green vegetable. For breakfast I usually eat 1 egg, 1 piece of bacon and a piece of toast--all I cut out for this diet was the toast. For snacks I eat fruit and cheese or popcorn. I didn't watch my calorie intake during that time at all--in fact I felt like I was probably taking in more calories than normal because sometime all I'll eat for lunch is a sandwich with ham and cheese and mayo--and chips and fruit. I was stricly trying to avoid flour and sugar so maybe the calories were just too many.

7. WendyTT

WendyTT Approved members

Also--I, (sighh.....) haven't been exercising. I'm a stay at home mom and I'm not a couch potato at all--so I felt like the activity of doing chores around the house all day would be enough. My activity didn't change during those two weeks though--I had not been exercising before and didn't then either.

8. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Tacos are made with flour, though, no?

Maybe your hypothyroid meds need to be increased as well, who knows?

Can you add 20-30mins fast walking around the block a few times a week or some kind of DVD video class?

I would be careful with bacon, cheese and sour cream. I'm not an expert but these don't seem to be "light" things, kwim? Especially cheese...I can live on cheese.:eek:

9. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Well, potatos and rice are high in carbs. Just cutting out flour isn't going to do much good. I know someone who went on an all rice diet.. she gained weight rather than loosing weight.

10. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I know for me, the devil is in the details. Chicken can be good or bad, depending on how it's prepared and a taco salad the same. Is it lean meat? Was the fat drained? Are the cheese and sour cream full fat or lower fat? That's always where the calories hide, I think. I'd probably try a week of jumpstarting the diet by switching the tacos for lunch for just a green salad and some skinless grilled chicken (or the like) and try doing dinner of just fish/chicken/lean beef and lots and lots of green veggies. Snack might be a lot of crisp cold celery and a bit of low fat peanut butter. But then I always pick veg over fruit so I'm biased.:p

Good luck! When I went GF I thought I'd drop weight, but I ended up eating more cheese and the like, so ... that was a flop.:rolleyes:

11. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

PS If your school has a track you might schlep the kids along, park them in the middle of the field, assuming no one's playing football :eek: give them a jar of bubbles and get a few laps of walking in. I love our school track, just walk ... no neighbors to chat with, no cars to watch out for, just a walk and you always know exactly how far you've done, no pedometer needed.;)

12. WendyTT

WendyTT Approved members

The tacos are made with corn, not flour so those are okay--but I'm guessing the cheese and sour cream I must've gone overboard. I am usually a pretty healthy eater anyway, and I thought that eating the stuff like cheese, eggs, etc would be better for me than the processed crackers, cookies. And I KNOW I should exercise, I hate no excuses to offer for that other than I hate to!

13. joan

joan Approved members

Lately, I have been on the flour, sugar diet and that definitely is NOT working.

14. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

Best diet I have gone on is the Skinny B!tch diet. Seriously, not a diet, but I got pretty grossed out at the in your face explanation that I'm practically a vegan---love my bacon too much to have that title, but seriously its the only animal product besides a few eggs. Lost those last 5 stubborn pounds.