- advertisement -

No Added Sugar - 'I wrote the book I wanted to read'

Discussion in 'Diabetes Book Club' started by Ellen, May 24, 2009.

1. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

BBC NEWS | Health | 'I wrote the book I wanted to read'

In the video at the link above: Fibi Ward and her friends Emma, Samantha and Amber chat about how they felt after her diagnosis

When teenager Fibi Ward was suddenly diagnosed with diabetes last year she was devastated.

She knew virtually nothing about the condition and found that while there was plenty of literature about the medical aspects of living with Type 1 diabetes, that there was little information about the emotions.

Type 1 diabetes - also known as insulin-dependent diabetes - develops in those whose bodies are unable to produce insulin.

So 14-year-old Fibi decided to pen her own book, which she hopes others will find useful.

Informing others
    "There was nothing available that looked at the emotional and psychological effect of being a diabetic - and certainly nothing aimed at children or teenagers," said Fibi from Wythnall, near Birmingham.

"I've basically written the book that I would have liked to have read when I was diagnosed.

"I hope that what I've written will help other children and teenagers who are diagnosed with diabetes. I hope it will help them understand that having diabetes might be a big deal, but it's not the end of the world."

click on link above for the rest of the article