- advertisement -

Nighttime site changes

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by jenm999, Feb 6, 2015.

1. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

So, my son (7) is a very resilient and cheerful little boy who is handling his diagnosis really well, proud of his pump and showing friends, testing BGs on his own and mostly without grumbling, never sneaking food, counting carbs like a champ ... except for site changes. He freaks the F out with every one. We have tried saintly patience where we let him say go before insertion, we have tried making it quick and matter of fact even if he screams bloody murder, we have tried subtle positive reinforcement (sticker chart to earn Legos) and outright bribes. We have tried wearing sites in solidarity, we have switched sets (now using insets which are working great, and he loves the colors), and we have tried Emla cream.

He was due for a site change today and asked us to do it while he was sleeping. He said he won't wake up because it doesn't really hurt, it just scares him. !!! "Mom, it could be so easy for both of us. And even if I wake up it will be after it's all done so there won't be any drama."

DH just put in the next site a few minutes ago, and he slept through it.

DH thinks we are setting a bad precedent and he might need a set change because of a bad site or something and not be able to do it without a huge meltdown. I think he's dealt with enough in the last 10 months and if this helps us get over the hump it's OK. I also think we should go with whatever works and take it one day, one site change at a time.

So, what do you think? Is this taking the easy way out or is it a sensible solution?

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

We used to have site change drama, believe me, your attitude is correct, it's a "hump" and you will get over it. In the meanwhile I absolutely believe is using any "crutch" that might make life less stressful for all. I would however, make it clear to your son, maybe over breakfast when there is no site chance on the horizon, that while you will do then at night when he's asleep IF you needed to do one during the day in an "emergency" then he would have to cooperate and accept it without great drama. You may still get some drama, but at least everyone is on the same page.

3. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

Sounds easy and sensible to me. I agree with Sarah, let him know you changed it at night and that you'll try to do that in future, but sometimes it might not be possible.

4. BarbDwyer

BarbDwyer Approved members

My vote is sensible solution!!

5. susanlindstrom16

susanlindstrom16 Approved members

I hear ya on this one. We have the same exact situation with my almost 7 year old. She gets so worked up before site changes, it almost reminds me of a mini panic attack. Sometimes I just have to remind myself "this will only be 15 minutes" while we are going through it because sometimes I lose my patience with the situation and then feel like the biggest jerk ever.

Anyway, if he sleeps right through it, I say go with it! That has worked a couple times for us, but we have also had it backfire- she woke up before I finished, and then she was more confused and scared because she was out of it.

Lately, appealing to her competitive nature seems to work for us. Setting a time on the clock when it has to be done by. She seems to like having bragging rights if its done with really fast, and we give her a lot of praise about how proud we are of her for getting it done.

6. KHS22

KHS22 Approved members

We do it. Not every time, but when it works out, we do it. If it saves him some distress, I say go for it. He is little still and been through so much. ANything we can ease or take away from them, is great!

That being said, your DH is right that sometimes he will need a change during the day. The most common for us is a site ripping out at tumbling or something like that. So as long as you have talked to him about regular site changes being during the night, but he may have to have some during the day, I think it is totally reasonable.

And remember, he won't be 18 and freaking the f out. This is a stage! And I love that he came up with a solution that works for him!

7. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

Thank you all for your supportive comments. I went to check his BG a few hours later before I went to bed and he woke up a bit, whispered "Did you already do it?" and when I said yes he had a HUGE sigh of relief. I'm sure he'll come around in time. He's handled so much.

We did talk about the fact that we might NEED to change it during the day in an emergency and he answered, "Of course!"

8. Mo1

Mo1 Approved members

I've been having my 7 year old use breathing to relax a little. She asks to watch tv while I do it so she can concentrate on that (tried guided visualization prior but SpongeBob Square Pants seems to do the trick better!). I also use a pain and scare scale...from 1-10. A lot of the times, the scare scale has been higher than the pain scale, which is probably why some of these things help her manage. She also likes the change from Cleos to the Inset. According to her, the insets hurt less.

9. mntgrl

mntgrl Approved members

My heart goes out to you! We are only recently diagnosed and can't even consider a pump for another 10 months but this is one of my biggest worries. I've read and heard stories about the site changes being so stressful. Thank you for sharing your story. Learning about people's stories has been a saving grace for me through much of this new diagnosis. Good luck, hope he continues to sleep through it and the stress continues to lessens. These kids deal with so much, they deserve a freaking break! xo

10. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

Mo1 we switched from Cleos to Insets too, due to repeated failed sites. He agrees the Insets hurt less but they are louder, and the needle isn't hidden. But having to push on the Cleos was also stressful.

Mntgirl, sorry you have to wait so long. Despite this frustration, pumping is so much better for us. Appreciate the sweet post. If I figure this out I will let you know!

11. Zivile

Zivile Approved members

I've changed sites several times at night, but it is bigger stress for me as several times he woke up screaming.... The best thing for us after one year of trying to get it "normal" was Emla cream - even with it first month was full of fear.... But now I know how long to wait after applying it and my little guy is not so afraid, but it took some time to convience him that it doesn't hurt with Emla. Recently I had to change bad site without Emla and after it he cried that mom, you should use cream next time... First I was against another one medicine to use and hoped it will settle down, but after one year of "trying" I decided to try Emla and am very happy with this decision.

12. Mish

Mish Approved members

In the grand scheme of things - he's still a very little boy, and if he's scared of site changes then he's scared of site changes. Yes, he's eventually going to just have to get past it, and he will. But he seems to have come up with a good solution for now.

We help our children manage all sorts of fears when they're young, and most of the time it involves helping them avoid the scary situation for a while, and then working with them to overcome it slowly, when they're ready. Just because it's a diabetes task doesn't make it different. It's always been helpful to me to decide how I would handle the same situation if it were not diabetes related, and just any other parenting dilemma.

13. suej

suej Approved members

We used ice to numb tummy when ds on injections at the beginning, an anaesthetist friend suggested it and it worked like a charm and much quicker than emla. Few minutes then dry. Ds ok for sets now but he is older, 12. We still use ice for enlite sensors. Might help.

14. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

I love his solution. Seems like a bright, sensible kid.

15. momof1CWDinohio

momof1CWDinohio Approved members

We also use Emla every time for pump and CGM site changes. Takes the fear and pain away.

16. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

As I said, Emla does not help him. He knows it doesn't hurt. Probably some primal instinct of not wanting his little body invaded! We've done 3 nighttime changes in the last week and they've all gone super well. We have also had discussions about emergency changes and he seems stoic that sometimes it will need to be done. I think he will rise to the occasion when he needs to. It's so much to deal with for a little one and he's a trouper as far as I'm concerned!

17. KelleyO

KelleyO New Member

I have a 10 year old boy who was exactly like that at age 7 when he first got his pump. We resorted to nighttime site changes secondary to all the stress it was causing him
    and it was SOOOOO much easier. And I can proudly say that he has completely outgrown his need/dependence on this. Around age 9 we started gradually switching to daytime with EMLA, daytime without EMLA all the way to him doing it himself by age 10. I have been where you are now, and I was worried about him becoming dependent on it, but he will outgrow the fear over time. I feel like these kids have so much on their plate to deal with, if something like nighttime site changes takes away one stressor for them, then go for it!

18. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

Reporting back after a few weeks that this has totally backfired and we're back to hysterical daytime site changes. The night changes went great but we had a couple of site failures that required changes during the day and he seemed even more stressed than before because he'd been able to avoid it for a week plus. So back to $5 Lego sets, deep breathing, tears, hugs... Today was a bit better and I'm hoping we just power through and get to the other side before too long.

19. susanlindstrom16

susanlindstrom16 Approved members

Well at least you got a couple weeks out of it! Do whatever works.

20. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Hey, you do what works. We had a period of night time changes too. You will find one day you will be somewhere and you'll have a site failure and will need to do a change on the fly. It will probably be somewhere fun and he will want to get on with what he's doing. He will probably agree to it and realize it isn't all that bad. We always had drama, and this is what happened to us. We still have drama, but it's more because she doesn't want to be bothered with it.

I think what you are doing is fine. Yes you are taking the easy way out. Easier for all of you and there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. And, it is sensible. It's sensible because it's easy and drama free. He's young, a lot has changed in his life, if this reduces everyone's stress, then fine. This too shall pass.