- advertisement -

Nightime seizures and bedwetting

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Tuff, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Tuff

Tuff Approved members

Does anyone whose children have had seizures in the night, have kids that wake up and the bed is SOAKED.

My son had another one last night. The endo thinks it is epilepsy triggered by going low but not too low, because the urination is a sign of the body losing it's bodily functions during an epileptic fit. They do not think that it is a diabetic seizure because he would rebound and go high.

So I want to know - do your kids pee the bed (I mean massive pee) in the night or after a known hypo seizure - ever?

He is always at around 55- 59 in the morning. Since I check at 3 am every morning I know it happens between 3 - 7 am.

This is the third time this has happened this way and he is always completetly exhausted int he morning.

2. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

My son hasn't had a seizure, but I would decrease basal starting around 1am, since you know things are okay at 3. There are kids whose parents have posted here who seized with BGs in the 60s. It could be a hypoglycemic seizure, or it could be an epileptic seizure - triggered by hypoglycemia. So, I would still see a neurologist.

3. mathcat

mathcat Approved members

My son did not wet the bed after his two epileptic seizures but there is a huge variety of types of seizures and of how the body responds to them. I hope that your son will see a neurologist soon. If epilepsy is being considered, then appropriate testing (such as an EEG) is in order. In the meantime, I imagine you are reducing the basal for the time frame in question? I hope you find some answers soon.

4. chbarnes

I would also suggest testing with a different meter. Perhaps even a different brand. Since they can vary by 20 percent plus or minus, your 50s could easily be in the 40s and still be in the acceptable range of accuracy.

5. Tuff

Tuff Approved members

Thanks - Yes the basals are all reduced. He finally see the neurologist in Feb - we have been waiting since last June:mad: he will have an eeg before the appt.

It's jsut the bedwetting that concerns me. I don't want them to say he has epilepsy if this is from hypoglycemia.

6. Colleen

Colleen Approved members

Some people, when the sugar drops real low, become diaphoretic(sweaty). My friends brother has had nighttime lows that have drenched the sheets from the perspiration. Did not wet the bed during the seizure. Are you sure it is only urine and not perspiration?

7. Tuff

Tuff Approved members

That's the first thing I checked. No sweat at all.

8. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

My nephew soaks his bed when high. But when he had a seizure in the night he did wet the bed then as well. He was checked out at the hospital by a neurologist right afterward. It was just a low seizure. He never did rebound either.

9. chbarnes

Can you identify any time he has had a seizure when BG was not low?

10. mathcat

mathcat Approved members

Of course you don't. Sometimes epilepsy is easy to diagnose. My son had the text book brain waves for benign rolandic epilepsy so diagnosis was easy. Sometimes things are not so clear. Then again, the seizures may be entirely due to diabetes - it sounds very possible. It is great that your son will finally have an EEG. I hope the answer, either way, is clear.

I wish I had some answers for you. I imagine that February cannot come soon enough. I know the time between when the endo recommended a visit with the neurologist and the time of the appointment seemed to be forever. But, the wait for the appointment is finally almost over.

11. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

He has not lost control of his bladder during the hypo seizures.

Epilepsy can be ruled in or out by the neurologist.

12. Tuff

Tuff Approved members

No always between 55- 59. But up until last year he would wake up at that level and be unaware of his suroundings and have twitches. Which is another reason they are investigating epilepsy. I thought it was normal for diabetics to have these staring episodes upon waking but when i posted that before it didn't sound like it was very common. He has never had seizures, twitches or staring during the day.

13. Lee

Lee Approved members

Uhm, from my endo - a rebound will not always bring them high - a rebound will only bring the BS up 7 to 8 times the low. So if he woke up at 60, he could have been at 10 or so. I had to ask this becuase after coco's seizure, she only got up to 60. The endo said, well she probably was down to 10 or below...and I asked how in the heck he knew that.

I have paid close attention to this - sometimes, if she sits at 60 for an hour +, she will have a rebound - and I can tell becuase her BS is in the 400's; other times, if she has a 40, and then I see a 250 or 300 soon after, I am pretty sure it is a rebound and I handle it like one.

A rebound does not always shoot them up high - it only shoots them up 7 to 8 times the low. I had found other research stating this, but I do not have the links anymore and don't really have time to dig for them.

As for peeing the bed, my stepdad used to pee the bed when he would go really low.

14. Tuff

Tuff Approved members

So you mean she will sit at 60 without being treated and then shoot up? or with being treated? And is this at night? Thanks.

15. mathcat

mathcat Approved members

In my son's type of epilepsy, benign roladic epilepsy, the seizures are generally sleep related. Both of my son's were about an hour or two after falling asleep. I have been told to watch in the time before waking up as well. IF epilepsy is behind what your son is experiencing I would not be surprised if this type is on the short list of what the neurologist might look for. The good news - this is a type that they grow out of.

On the diabetes side a lot can happen between finger pokes as some others have pointed out. I do wonder if the blood sugar has gone far below the 50s that you have been seeing. This may be entirely diabetes related. I wish you did not have to wait as long as you have for an EEG to finally help rule in or rule out anything.

16. suzyq63

suzyq63 Approved members

I can't answer as to hypo seizures. But I can tell you that epileptic seizures can and do cause loss of bladder control. My daughter has occasional breakthrough seizures (even though the seizure med controls almost all of them). Her seizures are what are called simple partial seizures; they are non-convulsive and she is usually fully conscious except for being very, very slightly "out-of-it". She has lost bladder control a few times with even these minor seizures.

17. Lee

Lee Approved members

I would say you need to test, test, test...every hour up till the low point. I know it is hard - but all of my daughter's seizures have been over night. They have all been low blood sugar related. If I suspect something is going on, I am testing - 3am is not a magical time. Coco had a period where no matter how much I would increase her midnight insulin, when I tested her at 3am, she was always in the 300's. This went on for months - and then I tested her at 2am one day and she was 50. After dropping her insulin, her 3am #'s were perfect. This actually happens to her now pretty frequently, so I try and vary the time I wake up to test her.

If your child is in the 50's at 3am; and he is having seizures, then I think the answer would be to get rid of those nighttime 50's and see if the seizures go away.

BTW - we were told by our CDE's, our Endom and another Endo that having 3 seizures due to low BS puts them at greater risk of suffering a stroke or permanent nerve damage with subsequent ones. So if you even suspect that these are low bs seizures, you need to focus and deal with that. You can also ask your pedi for testing for Epileptic Seizures.

Yes - she will sit at 60 for a period of time and then shoot up. This usually happens at night. It is a rebound. She is more likely to rebound from a prolonged 60 then a drop to 40. Thank you CGMS for showing us this. This is our experience with her rebounds. I know other kids do not always rebound at this #, or even at any #.

I am really surprised your endo is not being more aggressive with treating/finding the source of these seizures - any # in the 50's with associated seizure activity should first be treated like a low bs, and then, if something else is suspected, should be followed up with a pedi.

I say this all the time now. My experiences with my daughter's seizures has made me research and dig into the damage of low blood sugars. The brain, and every organ in the body, needs glucose to survive. A low bs seizure occurs when the brain is starved for glucose. It is just as damaging as a brain starved for oxygen. If a child was having an asthma attack, that child would be treated immediately becuase we know they need air to survive. However, people seem to forget that we need glucose to survive as well. Lows should be treated ASAP and risks of lows should be mitigated to avoid brain and organ damage. I have now been told that with every seizure past the magic #3 - my daughter is at an increased risk for a stroke. Every.single.seizure increases this risk becuase her brain has been damaged - it has suffered permanent physiological damage from which it may or may not recover from.

This is not something that should be played with or treated lightly.

18. Tuff

Tuff Approved members

19. Lee

Lee Approved members

We see this all the time - a two week upswing and then a two week low swing...we actually have three patterns set on her pump - a high swing pattern, a standard pattern, and then a low swing pattern...

I don't know what it means to not be tired.

20. Caleb's*mom

Caleb's*mom Approved members

We have not had this happen. How scary