- advertisement -

Night time "safe" numbers?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mommyx4, Oct 20, 2007.

1. mommyx4

mommyx4 Approved members

We always check my DD's BG around midnight. I'm curious to know what everyone does when you get a BG reading of around 95, 100. somewhere on the lower side of normal? How do you know it's a stable 100 and not a falling 100? Do you check again in an hour? Do you treat just a little? We were never told the safest thing to to. Sometimes we give her milk or peanut butter to hold her over. Sometimes it works and she wakes up fine in the morning. Sometimes she wakes up high. So how do you know what to do?

2. KeltonsMom

KeltonsMom Approved members

We don't test in the middle of the night, however, Kelton woke up a few minutes ago and he was 100 so we had him eat a cracker pack as well as drink a juice box. We have learned the hard way that if his glucose is below 130 at bedtime he will go low before the morning.

3. Momof4gr8kids

Momof4gr8kids Approved members

I treat it, and then check it in 2 - 3 hours. I like my DD between 100 and 150 at bed time. If she is out of that range when I go to bed then I treat, set my alarm and then recheck.

Does your DD pump? That really helps me to be able to do this. Before that our night range was between 100-200. I'd ask your doc what range he would like to see your DD in over night.

4. jendean

jendean Approved members

Thats tough
    At the hospital, a person being tested at 90 in the middle of the night would be left alone.
    At home, I would give maybe ten grams of carb two of fat/protien. So, maybe a sip of juice and a cheese square with a cracker.
    Then I would test in one hour.

5. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

I test Seth 3 hours after his dinner shot, if he's at 100, I would test his arm and his finger...That will tell you what direction their headed, since the finger is more accurate. For example, if his arm is 100, but, his finger is 110. Then, I would leave it alone...If he's headed down, but, not low, I give milk, stay up a while longer then retest. I hope this helps...:D

6. lynn

lynn Approved members

I always check Nathan before I go to bed around 11 or 11:30. If he were 90 at that time I would give him about five carbs. That should raise him around 30 points. I check at 2 or 3 each night as well.
    He's four years old and it is sometimes hard to gauge his activity level from the day so a 90 at my bedtime would make me nervous. It doesn't give enough room to drop if he was more active than I thought.
    Lynn

7. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

I usually treat a little, often a half cup of milk with the thought that I don't wan t a sudden rise but just want to guard against going low. We also check at least once every night though so I would retest in 3 hours or so too. That's interesting about testing the arm and finger and comparing. Does anyone else do that? Do you think it's a reliable way to determine the direction the bg is heading?

8. Deannas mom

Deannas mom Approved members

I know just how you feel, during the day if you see a 95-100 you would think..cool..but at night its a hole different story:cool:
    we check deanna at 3 hors post dinner. then at around 2 or 3 am. if her number is below 100 I will give a half cup milk. If its at 100 I will watch it to see if its going to stay or rise. Deanna always stays high during the night,she seams to peak at around 2 or 3 so her basal is at its highest at 3 am. there have been many nights where I would check and seea 100 or a 90 and groan knowing that it meant that I was going to have to stay up a little longer and re test to see what that number was going to do.

9. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

When we were doing Lantus, I wanted her at least about 150.

On the pump, the one time period we have pegged is the overnight. If all things are normal, wherever she is at 3 hours after dinner is where she'll stay all night - even if that's 95-110. I used to treat something that low on Lantus konwing she was going to drop between 12-3am but now that I know she doesn't drop, I only treat below 80

10. Boo

Boo Approved members

Being on the pump now (an important difference), I sometimes let a reading of 90-100 go. Depending on his evening activity level or what and how recently he ate, I might "correct" by lowering his basals to 50% for an hour to gradually bring him up. (His nighttime target is 120).

11. czardoust

czardoust Approved members

I check Katerinas at 11-12 at night and if she is any lower than 200 I make her sit up, sip sugar water or eat a peanut butter cracker, whatever we have thats available. Kat is on of those "crashers" if she is 200, she is 200 going down, if shes 100, she's at 50 by about 3 am and crashing bad by 5 am. Then again shes only 6 so brittleness may be with young age (please let it be something that she grows out of as her body settles down). Just last night I dropped her Lantus from 10 to 8.5, and that helped. She was 425 at midnight and at 6 am she was 120. So, shes growing at the moment. Love, Carolyn

12. melaniej

melaniej Approved members

funny you should ask i was wondering about this myself for tyler ive learned to leave him if hes 80 to 100 i always check at about 12 then again at 3 he is on mdi lantus humulog and nph it took some experimenting but thats what works for us everybody is diffrent and i would check with youre endo and i would treat if i couldnt recheck thru the night :D

13. hold48398

hold48398 Approved members

I like her to be 120-150. So if she is sitting at 100, I give her 4 sips of juice which should be about 5 carbs (40 points). I have finally figured out how many sips it takes LOL. At the beginning, the whole juice box would be gone before I knew it and I would have to bolus for a few carbs!!

14. Mary Lou

Mary Lou Approved members

Seems like this is a common activity :D

We test two hours after they go to bed (usually 9:30 / 10:00) and this allows us to "correct" by setting a temp basal of 0% or 50% for one hour.

Retest in one hour. If numbers aren't increasing, we'll wake them up and feed. The CGMS helps a lot ot know whether it is necessary to wake and feed, or if a temp will work.

We prefer to try the temp basal first, as that seems more "natural" than waking and feeding, but we will wake and feed if numbers are below 100 going into the dreaded midnight - 3 am time frame.

15. mommyx4

mommyx4 Approved members

Yes, she has been pumping since Jan. 07. I don't know why I haven't asked the Endo about this before. We've been doing this for almost 3 years and have always taken care of it the same way. (By treating a little) But sometimes that doesn't work for good control. She has an appointment next week so I'll ask about it then.

Thanks everyone!

16. Abby-Dabby-Doo

Abby-Dabby-Doo Approved members

We would retest in a hour. Reason being.. she receives NO BASAL from 1am to 5am. She's very sensitive to insulin at night, and drops like a rock. Since the basal is 0 she's likely to go up.

17. ScottB

ScottB Approved members

We struggled with Justin's lantus dosage at first and his endo kept increasing the dosage every week until out of no where his BG would plunge at night and he'd wake up hypoglycemic. Until we got a dosage that would give him a normal BG drop at night, we'd have him got to bed with at least a 200 BG. Now that we've got the lantus "dialed in" and as long as his bedtime BG is anywhere between 90 to 150, he'll wake up fine.