- advertisement -

night sticks

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Barry, Nov 17, 2006.

?

Do you do middle of the night BG sticks?

1. yes, always

60.3%
  2. yes, but only when sick, adjusting insulin

29.3%
  3. very seldom or never

10.3%
  1. Barry

Barry Approved members

I read a lot of post that speak about middle of the night BG checks. I've never been asked to check (dx 3months now). The first couple of weeks were b4 and 2hrs after each meal and a bed time check. After a couple of weeks we dropped the after meals unless we suspected something. MDI and honeymooning make a difference? 14yrs old?

2. astodder

astodder Approved members

When Lela was dx we checked every 3 hours for the first week...then we only did them when she was sick or we had made an adjustment to her MDI's....then when she went on the pump we checked every 3 hours until her basals were working for her ...now we only check when adjustmets are made to her basals or she is sick.......we tend to have more problems with the highs than with the lows now..................:mad:

3. Mama2H

Mama2H Approved members

We were told to always check H at 3 am. She tends to bottom out in the middle of the night and I have treated several 3 am lows. We are having a terrible time trying to figure out H's sugars. We are either too low or too high :( I am hoping that seeing the Endo on Tuesday will clarify alot!

4. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

we check every night at 11am, 2am and 5:30am.. Kaylee tends to be the complete opposite of everyone else (dawn effect) and crashes at either 3am or 5:30.. we've found her at 42 before.. scares me to think what would have happened had we not been checking..

5. Treysmom

Treysmom Approved members

Most nights I check, he usually is o.k. but I have found low. I just cannot rest w/o checking.

6. Adinsmom

Adinsmom Approved members

We aren't quite night time checks all the time...

I check before going to bed myself around 10pm. That determines if I set the alarm to check again. Sickness and adjusting insulin is an automatic night time checks for us.

7. Aprilsmom

Aprilsmom Approved members

I check April is she has been running high, or if I just get that mother "instinct" that just won't go away. You all know what I'm talking about.

8. Kirsten

Kirsten Approved members

I put always, but we really determine middle of the night checks based on his level at 10pm.

Kirsten

9. hold48398

hold48398 Approved members

Check is at 10pm, midnight/1am and 90% of time at around 3am also. Mia's BG are simply too unpredictable to let her sleep through. I have been doing this routine for over 2 years now....hubby knows to let me sleep on the weekends LOL.

10. KellyH

KellyH Approved members

I check when I go to bed, between 10 - midnight. Depending on the number, either too high or under 150 (she can drop from this number to a low) I set the alarm for 2 or 3 am. I really think this depends on your child's stability with blood sugars. Abby is so young and her numbers are quite fluid. And she can't tell me if she is low even if she does wake up.

11. Hollyb

Hollyb Approved members

Hi Barry,

I think having an older child does influence how often you are asked to check at first. With the really little ones, such a small extra bit of insulin can make all the difference.

We were told, however, to spot-check occasionally. Obviously if Aaron was prone to middle-of-the-night lows we would check every night until we were confident we had solved the problem. I usually check every couple of weeks if things are going OK, plus whenever we increase Aaron's night basal and whenever there is anything funky going on at bedtime. (Sometimes if he's really high at bedtime it's hard to get it to come down at first, and then once it starts going it really plummets -- so I check knowing he could be too far either way.)

12. Boo

Boo Approved members

I didn't officially respond to the poll, as I didn't like the options I had to choose from. We certainly don't check my son (11 y.o.) every night, but we do chack him more often at night than when he is sick. He has rarely been sick in the 2+ years since diagnosis, but we often test him at night when he has had a good deal of physical activity the day before (particularly in the evening). I'd say we test him during the night probably 50% of the time. And we always check him around 11:00pm before we go to bed.

13. bethdou

bethdou Approved members

We weren't told in the hospital or after to check at night; in the first couple of weeks, I was up (nerves & stress, I think) and so I was checking at night. One day when i called in the #s, the endo-on-call asked me WHY I was testing at 2 AM. He told me that unless I was already awake, there wasn't a reason to do it.

So for a while, we'd go with the bedtime check, then wait until morning. But as the honeymoon ended, puberty started, and numbers started going whacko, I started doing night tests. DH still wasn't especially on board, and didn't always *remember* to test when he got up (he's up between 3:30 and 4, so I ask him to check then). Then one night he found her in the mid-50's, and couldn't get her back up over 80 for quite a while. Since then, he's been testing most every night. I wake up almost every night around 1 and check. There are still occasional nights where I don't wake up, but almost every night.

She's starting on a pump on Monday, so I have the feeling every night testing will be in order after that......man, I can't wait for a CGMS that we can afford! :D

14. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We do middle of the night sticks for the following:

Based on what her number is when we go to sleep at 10pm.
    If she's below 140, then I'll test again at 1am

If we've done an adjustment to insulin

If she's sick

If she wakes up with a bad dream (definite indication of a high with Abby)

If we've had a good streak (4 + days) then we do a spot check...unfortunately this doesn't happen this often :(

15. Twinklet

Twinklet Approved members

We were told to check at 2 a.m. every night from diagnosis. Emily is now pumping, and our Endo says we don't have to check once her nighttime basals are set, but old habits, paranoia, and 2 type-1-personality parents have led us to continue checking at night, most of the time. We always check at 10 p.m. and if we need to do a correction, we check again at 11 or midnight. Depending on what that number is, we may either sleep till 5 or 6 (normal waking hours), or set the alarm for 2 or 3.

16. Momof4gr8kids

Momof4gr8kids Approved members

We check when we are adjusting insulin, or when ill. We also check when we go to bed at 10, or 11, and if any action has to be taken we check in 2 hrs, and then by that number decide what further monitering needs to be done.

I think that middle of the night checks are all based on agressiveness of your endo, diabetes team, or doc. In fact our CDE, and endo do not agree on night time checks. endo think we need to do them at least 50% of the time, and CDE sees no reason unless there is an illness, changes, or spot checks. Our endo starts almost everyone out on lantus, and novolog/humalog, and will allow those with interest, who he also belives can handle it to pump as soon as they want to. He belives more b/g's taken the more of the big picture you see, and the better able you are to catch any problems, or changes that need to be adressed quicker. Our CDE belives the less pokes, both for b/g, and injections the better. She would rather use NPH, and a rapid acting, or pump, but doesn't like MDI, and doesn't belive pumping should even come up until after 6-12mo. She feels that less pokes makes it easier to deal with, and likes the old school aproach. We have seen other CDE's at our clinic, and it goes person by person on how they feel about it all. Some vary to degrees inbetween the two. I also belive that some make the desision based on the personality of the paitent, and how much that person can handle. Just my oppinion. Jamie

17. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

If Rachel wakes in the night I test her. If I wake in the night I check her (visually) and sometimes test. If neither of us wake, well then obviously no test!! :p

18. margaret

margaret Approved members

Never mandatory to do night checks. Only when sick. Bedtime check, in good range then all ok. Fortunately, my son will always wake up if his bs is dropping.
    Margaret

19. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

My son is tested 1-2 times a night. Last I checked, his diabetes doesn't go away at night. I would be appalled if he went 8-10 hours during the day without a test. We often have to correct or give a juice. It is better with a pump, but not perfect by a long shot.

20. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

If I was on NPH I'd be checking in the night (I started off on NPH and switched fairly soon to Lantus), but my Lantus is pretty weak at night so me and the CDE don't think there's a need to except when I'm fooling with my dosages or am sick.