- advertisement -

Next-Generation OmniPod(R) Insulin Pump Cleared by FDA

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by danismom79, Dec 14, 2012.

1. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

2. Dan

Dan Approved members

My sales rep called me this morning...great news...

3. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

Finally! Now we'll see if we ever really get them. ;)

4. caspi

caspi Approved members

You beat me to it - I was just getting ready to post this!!! :)

5. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

I'll believe it when it is sticking on Hana's body!

6. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

I just read it elsewhere too, YEA!!

7. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

Anyone know what the updated PDM's "series of enhancements" are?

8. MHoskins2179

MHoskins2179 Approved members

We'll have an update up on some of these enhancements after chatting with Insulet officials earlier... Amy Tenderich is working on this now, and so I don't yet know what they are myself, but am told we'll have a post up in an hour or so at D-Mine.

Exciting news from FDA today!

9. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

The ones I know of are showing IOB (including meal IOB) on the status screen and having to confirm ID when it's powered on (which seems more like a nuisance than an enhancement).

10. Melissata

My understanding is that it will consider the meal insulin on board and not just the corrections like it does now. Also a pink indicator that shows whether the cannula went in or not.

11. Melissata

Does anyone else have their paperwork for the Cut the Cord from Insulet? I just remembered that the warranty was only supposed to be for one year with the "deal" I took. They have replaced PDM's all along, so I wonder what this will mean for us, and thinking that we will probably have to go through insurance in order to get the new PDM. It would actually be better to do it now while we have our deductible met.

12. Dan

Dan Approved members

I was told by my rep that the upgrade was FREE for all existing users.

13. MHoskins2179

MHoskins2179 Approved members

This is from our post at DiabetesMibe earlier, based on a conversation with Insulet's manager of consumer marketing and the senior marketing director:

Patients still under their four-year warranty will be automatically ?switched out? to the new system, according to their regular reorder date. Anyone out of warranty would of course need to buy the new product. But Insulet is emphasizing that if you?re thinking of just starting with the OmniPod, there is no reason to wait!

Note that this is a whole new system: the old Pods won?t speak with the new PDM and vice-versa, Hojsgaard tells me. Costs will remain the same for users: around $35 per Pod, and a system setup cost of around $800 depending on your insurance. There will no change to the Abbott FreeStyle test strips used in the PDM, btw.

14. Melissata

I called and got the ball rolling in order to get a new PDM ordered this year while we have our deductible met. We have been out of warranty for over a year! I imagine that there are some others that are going to get caught by this, forgetting like I had. I think it is awesome that they are not charging any upgrade fee as long as you are in warranty. Otherwise of course you have to go through insurance.

15. moco89

moco89 Approved members

Does anyone know how they are handling the 2-year "cut the cord" customers/patients who are still within warranty?

16. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I was told when we did cut the cord that we would get upgraded for free if the new stuff came out within that 2 years.