- advertisement -

Newtown Connecticut

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Becky Stevens mom, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

There are no words:( Im praying that all of our CWD families are safe. To anyone who lives out there or who has lost someone in this tragedy, my thoughts and prayers are with you.

2. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

Horrific. The numbers are staggering.
    My sister's kids were on lockdown in Bethel but it has been lifted.

3. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

My thoughts and prayers go out to all. This hits very close to home as my family is close by. My niece is in lock down at her school as its the next town.

I thought our kids were supposed to be safe and protected at school.

God bless them all.

4. mom2Hanna

mom2Hanna Approved members

Just devestating. There are no words.

5. TheLegoRef

TheLegoRef Approved members

We just had a lock down practice the other day. Please be aware that all school staff are quite aware they are risking their lives to protect your kids, every day they go to school. Some reports are showing that the teachers locked the kids in rooms, closets, etc. Schools try to protect themselves more and more - locked doors, key cards, buzzers, etc.
    This is not far from where I used to live. It's devastating. Friends have been posting that their kids are okay, but so many people lost their children. It's not fair. If a person has a problem with a school staff member, or the ex-spouse, they shouldn't take it out on the kids.
    What are we supposed to do, build all schools like prisons, and have double gates, barbed wire, and guards? Not right.

6. JNBryant

JNBryant Approved members

It isn't right, and I can't even begin to comprehend how someone could do something like this. You hear about shootings here and there, but never in my life did I ever think I would hear about something like this happening at an elementary school. A school is a place for children to learn and express themselves, not to be locked down fearing for their lives. My thoughts and prayers go out to all the families having to deal with this tragedy today.

7. Beach bum

Please join me in remembering these families tonight. My extended family in CT, while not directly impacted by this tragic event, are mourning all that have been affected by it. They are asking everyone to light a candle in their windows tonight to show their support.

8. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

I've been away from the computer/radio/tv most of the day...just learned about this tragedy. Absolutely heart breaking! :(
    Sending prayers to the families in Newtown, Connecticut.

9. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Newtown is a neighboring community, very much like ours. Everyone here is devastated. It's unbearably sad...

10. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

I thought of you this morning Sarah, I knew you lived out that way. Im just heartbroken and sick:(

11. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Quite simply incomprehensible. I can't even wrap my brain around it quite frankly. Words aren't adequate. Praying, praying. Such deep sadness.

12. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

We're quite close as well. Our schools heightened security during the day and cancelled a lot of after school activities. They told the high schoolers to go straight home after school.
    Very scary and sad.

13. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Thanks, Becky :cwds:

And i thought of you today, Heather ... :(

14. mom2Hanna

mom2Hanna Approved members

Sarah and Heather, I was wondering about you. What a horror.

15. Beach bum

Thinking of all CWD'ers in CT today. My MIL taught in Newtown, so she had a connection to some of the people.

Very hard to go on as normal when such a tragedy occurred. Trying to figure out the best way to tell our kids since it will come up at church tomorrow and we want to make sure they know before they go to school on Monday and start hearing rumors.

My heart is home in CT during these times.

16. Williamsville mommy

Williamsville mommy Approved members

Beach bum....read this loved the suggestions..sorry for you MIL too.

What Parents Can Do:

Focus on your children over the week following the tragedy.? Tell them you love them and everything will be okay. Try to help them understand what has happened, keeping in mind their developmental level.

Make time to talk with your children.? Remember if you do not talk to your children about this incident someone else will. Take some time and determine what you wish to say.

Stay close to your children. Your physical presence will reassure them and give you the opportunity to monitor their reaction. Many children will want actual physical contact.? Give plenty of hugs.? Let them sit close to you, and make sure to take extra time at bedtime to cuddle and to reassure them that they are loved and safe.?

Limit your child?s television viewing of these events.? If they must watch, watch with them for a brief time; then turn the set off.? Don?t sit mesmerized re-watching the same events over and over again.

Maintain a ?normal? routine. To the extent possible stick to your family?s normal routine for dinner, homework, chores, bedtime, etc., but don?t be inflexible.? Children may have a hard time concentrating on schoolwork or falling asleep at night.

Spend extra time reading or playing quiet games with your children before bed.? These activities are calming, foster a sense of closeness and security, and reinforce a sense of normalcy. Spend more time tucking them in.? Let them sleep with a light on if they ask for it.

Safeguard your children?s physical health.? Stress can take a physical toll on children as well as adults.? Make sure your children get appropriate sleep, exercise, and nutrition.

Consider praying or thinking hopeful thoughts for the victims and their families.? It may be a good time to take your children to your place of worship, write a poem, or draw a picture to help your child express their feelings and feel that they are somehow supporting the victims and their families.

Find out what resources your school has in place to help children cope.? Most schools are likely to be open and often are a good place for children to regain a sense of normalcy.? Being with their friends and teachers can help.? Schools should also have a plan for making counseling available to children and adults who need it.?

17. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

Thanks Sarah.

18. Beach bum

Thanks for the info, it was helpful.
    Sadly, MIL knew the principal and most of the staff:(

19. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Wendy, I'm so sorry to hear that :( She must be just brokenhearted...

It's so unbearably sad around here... so sad

20. Beach bum

Thank you, yes she is grief stricken. I have family in Trumbull, Easton and Monroe. All just feel this unbearable feeling of sadness. My heart is in CT with them.