- advertisement -

News Flash

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sarah Maddie's Mom, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

You will never sleep as well post dx as you did before. It's a drag, but it's a fact.

2. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

People are shocked when I tell them this. I've had some who have even said "you mean you don't make her get up and do it herself?" " You really should, it's not good for you to not get sleep..." Ummm, but it's OK for my kid to not get sleep?

I equate diabetes to having a baby that never grows up. Constant care is needed.

3. Mish

Mish Approved members

The G4 has given me nearly 2 weeks of sleep filled nights. I'm amazed beyond belief.

4. selketine

selketine Approved members

I second this - there are definitely some good stretches of no beeps and no worries with the G4. At worst - at least we can sleep with confidence that if there is a problem that it will beep. A lot of that stress is off.

5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Just completed the paperwork...now I just have to find a fax machine :rolleyes:

But yes, a reliable and LOUD cgm may be the only ticket to a good nights sleep.

Of course, what really stinks is that our kids are going to have to wrestle with D at night l-o-n-g after we're out of the picture. I'd go the rest of my life with broken sleep if it meant that my kid could live without that.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  6. Beach bum

My neighbor is an adult with T1. If I mention that I've gotten up during the night to check on my daughter, she says I have a key to her house and am always welcome to stop in and test her too:p

7. swellman

swellman Approved members

With the right monitor you just lay the G4 up against the monitor transmitter and it will jar you out of bed. Seriously.

8. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

Is it too late to return d now that I know this? :p:p

9. mysweetwill

mysweetwill Approved members

I second that.

10. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

OK, I can't tell if this is meant to be funny, serious, or just factual. But I found it really funny.

Truth, right here.

11. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

With the G4 I can sleep much better, but it is still interurpted sleep at best. I still can not just go to sleep and tell myself I will wake if it alarms. I set the stove timer to wake me atleast twice a night.

I tell the endo this and her speal is always to work towards me sleeping thru the night, I honestly don't know if that will ever happen, I am just so used to it. I mean really I was prego and then had her as an infant and we were just getting into toddlerhood when DX'd.

12. Arleigh9003

Arleigh9003 Approved members

Agreed. I miss sleep as well.

13. steph

steph Approved members

and i know that this little tid bit of information certainly wasn't mentioned during our hospital stay after diagnosis.

14. Ali

Ali Approved members

I was once that T1 child,but now an adult. And yes it is hard to ever sleep as well as one did before diagnosis as one does after. But I will tell you as the one living with the disease the monitor is HUGE, I sleep so much better, after 42 years of living with this disease and only 37 years of using the CGMS it is HUGE, for both me and my husband. IF you want to sleep through a night even with a monitor you have to go to bed a bit high but...without the CGMS you go to bed above 150 and still check at 3:00 in the morning and with the CGMS if you want no alarms you go to bed at 120 and sleep better knowing your CGMS will alarm if you get too low and do not set an alarm for three in the morning. :cwds:ali

15. Bigbluefrog

Bigbluefrog Approved members

Do you have documented scientific studies to back that fact up?

Never is a long time to not sleep well. I would say at times we go through rough spots, but we have good nights too. Lately more good nights than bad.

16. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Oh for Pete's sake. I'm your case study. My kid's 300 miles away at school and I still don't sleep.

Pick, pick, pick.

17. Bigbluefrog

Bigbluefrog Approved members

Your kid is how many miles away? !

Is this a young adult at college? Why aren't you sleeping? Stop picking already, as a mom your health and value your well being is important.

I sleep just fine. Only nights we don't sleep are sick days and basal testing. It is not a fact for everyone.

Sorry your not sleeping:(.

18. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I was the one who was asking you for data/statistics in the other thread, not Sarah. There is a time and place to ask for evidence to support someone's assertions. In some threads, it helps you understand whether or not the poster making the assertion knows what they're talking about, or has just watched too much Fox News and thinks that constitutes being educated on the matter. In other threads, it just makes you look like someone who is bitter that she is getting her clock cleaned on another thread.

19. Beach bum

Glad you are able to sleep well.

Not everyone can get to bed with such a light heart. Yes, we all know that our health is important and we need to sleep. It's hard when our kids aren't home to wonder if everything is going ok. Even when my daughter goes to D camp, I wake up during the night because I've become so conditioned to it. If I want a full nights sleep, I need to take a sleep aid. It's hard when you have to get up every night at least once or multiple times to break the cycle.

IMO, it's just another day in the life of living with a very active CWD.

20. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

I wasn't the one picking, dear.

Yes, he's a young adult at college. There's a history of dangerous lows. If he was 20 minutes away at school, I'd still worry.

Glad you're sleeping.