advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newly D'xd - "survival kit" ideas

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by MissMadisonsMom, Dec 31, 2008.

1. MissMadisonsMom

MissMadisonsMom Approved members

A friend's son was just recently diagnosed. I plan on visiting w/ in the next couple of days and want to bring the family a diabetes survival kit of sorts. Any suggestions on what to put in the goody bag?

What did you wish you had, but didn't get at the hospital?

Thanks for your input!

2. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Juicy juice boxes, Glucose tabs, cold packs, easy to carry snacks. alcohol swabs...That's all I can think of at the moment:confused::cwds:

3. BRANDYB

BRANDYB Approved members

A calculator.

4. MReinhardt

MReinhardt Approved members

Precision xtra meter and Ketone strips-If you can afford them, if not information where to find them is also great.
    CWD site
    Pink Panther book for starters
    Small pocket size carb counting book
    gram/oz scale if you can aford it, other measuring items, cups, spoons

5. TerpSteph

TerpSteph Approved members

Calorie King
    list of free food ideas besides sugar-free jello
    bag of hope from JDRF

6. RosemaryCinNJ

RosemaryCinNJ Approved members

I loved the Bag of Hope from the JDRF...call your local chapter and have one sent to the mom or have it sent to you and give it to her...it was so comforting to me when newly diagnosed and full of information!! And a cute teddy bear (Rufus the diabetes bear) for Amanda! You are a great friend..:) Also the Pink Panther book about Diabetes was most helpful too..(I think that came in my bag of hope from the JDRF)

7. Denise

Denise Approved members

the Calorie King book..you can never have too many copies! We got small supplies of the following at the hospital but wished we had more... glucose tabs, alcohol swabs ... a calculator is a great idea, small notebook and pen for writing down meals, carb counts, etc. A list of carb free, low carb snacks is wonderful! I think also the offer of babysitting (if appropriate) is very welcomed and was offered to me by a fellow D parent. I didn't take them up on it but something that I was glad to have JUST IN CASE I needed a break from being a "walking pancreas" for Molly in those first few tough weeks.

8. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

Really great suggestions above:D An calorie king book and calculator for the car has been a life saver for me because we are always on the go, and I don't think to grab those on my way out.

Something that I really needed but didn't get from the hospital was a HUG and a shoulder to cry on from someone who really understood what it was like to have a child diagnosed with diabetes.

9. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

A calculator with a magnet on the back (for the fridge!)

A list of online resources -- places to purchase cool alert bands & supply bags, lists of sites for support and information, their local chapter of the JDRF, etc.

If you know anything about the school the child is attending, share that info (nurses, accomodations, diabetes management in the school, etc.)

A binder to keep all printouts, blood sugar logs, doctors notes and other info in one easily-grabable place. I also have a manilla envelope in mind to gather all the receipts to use for our taxes and to submit for our flexible spending account at work.

This is so nice of you!
    Eileen

10. Corinne Masur

Corinne Masur Approved members

Survival Kit

For the child: a comic book, a story book, a pack of sugarless gum, and/or a loveable stuffed animal is nice. My son got a soft stuffed animal that had a pocket in it (it was actually a hand puppet stuffed animal) that he later used to put his pump in while he slept. Obviously, getting diagnosed and being in the hospital is a terribly scary experience so anything that makes the child feel better - or even temporarily distracted is good.

Diabetesmother
    www.Diabetesmother.blogspot.com

11. Jake'sMama

Jake'sMama Approved members

tubes of the cake decorating gel - something suggested by our RN instead of glucose tabs. Use half a tube in an emergency. Easy to find, small to carry, comes in colors the kid can pick. And the wish to never have to use it!

A good friend dropped off a bag of 15 carbs snacks and sugar free lemonade and orangeade. DS didn't like them all but her family had fun shopping and we had an immediate supply of things to try. (including 4oz juicy juice boxes) DH has said this is the best gift ever and told our church if anyone was newly diagnosed to let us shop for them. We spend hours in the grocery still!

Bless you for being there for them!

12. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

Some things I could have used at DX:

big hugs and lots of them and the offer to call ANY TIME...even during that first low bg at 2am when there's sure to be freak out.
    CWD's website
    babysitting offers
    maybe go with her to the supermarket for that first trip and help her learn easily to read labels.

13. MReinhardt

MReinhardt Approved members

White cake icing or gel is for the best. All others stain. Try washing blue or red off of a face, it takes awhile.

14. Mama2H

Mama2H Approved members

I cannot find the origional but Lanae and I came up with a paper that we take when we visit new dx through JDRF. Here is a c&p of it:

*Helpful Links

A place where parents of Type 1 children/teens ask questions, give advice, and understand. (CWD)

http://forums.childrenwithdiabetes.com/index.php

A+ Medical Supply (If you have a PPO insurance and not an HMO) Save $$$

http://www.aplusmedicalsupply.com/

1-800-646-8040

Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF)

http://www.jdrf.org/

American Diabetes Association (ADA)

http://www.diabetes.org/home.jsp

**Helpful Books

A First Book Understanding Diabetes 11th edition (better known as the Pink Panther Book)

By: H. Peter Chase M.D.

The Calorie King, Fat & Carbohydrate Counter

By: Allan Borushek

***Helpful Products

For Low Blood Sugar

Glucose Tablets (1 tablet) 6 carbs each

Juicy Juice Juice Boxes (4.23 fl oz) 15 carbs each

The best lancing device- Accu-Chek Multiclix Lancing Device

This is available at your local Wal-Mart, Target, or Walgreen's store.

Salter Scale: This scale has over 1400 foods already stored in it with the nutritional information. It has a memory, and you can enter your own recipes. Salter Nutri Weigh Dietary Computer Scale- model 1450

http://forums.childrenwithdiabetes.com/showthread.php?t=8399

This scale works great for eating out and can fit in a woman's larger size purse. It does not contain a memory, and you cannot enter a recipe. Salter Nutri Weigh Dietary Computer Scale- model 1440 (travel size)

LG 5200 Cell phone w/ built in Blood Glucose Meter that will text your VERIZON cell phone with blood sugars when your child tests.

http://glucophone.net/

****School 504 Plan

For your child's protection have a 504 plan in place at school.
    http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/504/

Lanae had pictures of each product next to each.

Also, I would bring a variety of low treats, we use airheads but it took us months to figure out what worked best for Hailey.

15. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

Our $40 chefmate scale has worked great for us. Counts carbs, fiber and all the other nutritional info. We didn't have food that wasn't easily measured by a measuring cup for the first month until we found out about the scale. :p

I have a calculator that has a clip on it. It can clip to a bag, set of keys, belt loop, what ever.

My other checkbook http://www.diabetesnet.com/mocb1.php
    The pocket pancreas are handy to have.

Also a small diabetes travel kit that can hold syringes, insulin and a small drawer organizer for the home supplies. It's overwhelming to figure out where everything is going to go when you get home.

Wish your friend luck for us.

16. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

It might be confusing to a newly dx'd parent to equate gel with tabs.

A mention of inject-ease, either the actual thing or a print up from the bd site might be helpful, depending on the age of the child;)

It's a very good thing that you're doing :cwds:

Last edited: Dec 31, 2008
  17. MissMadisonsMom

MissMadisonsMom Approved members

Thank you for all of your suggestions. Madison and I are going shopping today for all of the goodies. I think my favorite suggestion is a calculator. Having one in the kitchen and my purse has been such a lifesaver. Maybe a box of Dreamfields pasta too - we love it here because Madison doesn't spike after eating it like she does other pastas. Now if we can only find the Dreamfields equivilent of rice - our archenemy.

The family lives about 4 blocks from us and the boy is in three of Madison's same classes at school. I'll print out our IHP and 504 so they can get that going - He can't go to school UNTIL he has a 504 and IHP in place :)

Thanks again for your suggestions.

18. Midwestmomma

Midwestmomma Approved members

I was gonna say this too...I would have gave my left leg for this in the first few days/weeks.:cwds:

19. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

And a game the family can play that has nothing to do with diabetes.

20. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Maybe a written explanation of how to calculate carbs from a food label with examples. I know that it sounds easy now but at first I was always wondering if I got it right and wold recalculate. Tips on how to keep sane, like giving the same portion of each food so that you dont forget how much you gave. For instance for food with a food label we give either 1/2 serving or a full serving depending on what it is so its easy math. Or items that are are served or home made we give either 1 ounce (28 gram weight) or 50 or 10o grams weight. This makes it much easier when you have multiple food items hat will be eated and yu can figure the carbs per 100 grams weight the easieyest. Hope that made sence I have a 7 month old getting into to this at my feet.