- advertisement -

Newly diagnosed

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kittycatgirl, Feb 20, 2006.

1. kittycatgirl

kittycatgirl Approved members

Hello, I am writting for my daughter who was just diagnosed with type 1 on Jan. 13th. (She is about to turn 12) She was interested in this message board but doesn't really know what to write. I think it helps for her to know that she is not alone. She is adjusting well to the insulin shots and blood testing. She is fealing so much better but is worried because she is loosing a lot of hair :eek: and she is gaining weight:( . I told her her body is getting what it needs now but maybe she has to hear that from others. Any advice for her? The smily face is from her!

Last edited: Feb 21, 2006
  2. pookas

pookas Approved members

Hi. Welcome to the group. My son is 5 yrs. old and newly dx'd 11/05. I've seen teens and some younger on this group. I hope she can start to feel more comfortable after reading some posts. It's great for advice, venting and support. It's all so frustrating, I know. Good Luck and I hope to see you and your daughter on here more =) BTW, if she was DKA and losing weight, she needs to gain it now and you're right, her body is now getting what it needs. Hunter ate like a monster the first month out of the hospital. Nov. 14, 2005 when he was dx'd he weighed 42 lbs. He's now 48. Big jump for such a little guy. Now he's back to eating normal. The adjustment takes time.

Linda-[NEPA]-Mom to:
    Hunter, 5 yrs, dx'd 11/14/05 type I
    Colby, 6 yrs, migraines

3. pookas

pookas Approved members

BTW, did she check out the Teen group on this site? She can talk w/ others her own age there.

Linda-[NEPA]-Mom to:
    Hunter, 5 yrs, dx'd 11/14/05 type I
    Colby, 6 yrs, migraines

4. kittycatgirl

kittycatgirl Approved members

Thanks

Thanks,
    I have posted on the parent board and I am going to have her check out the teen board. She is feeling better now that we have the meds. A lot of the kids have the pump, we are not at that point yet so I don't know if she will find anyone who is still taking shots. We did find a girl that she is going to email. That should be fun for her. Have a great day.