- advertisement -

Newly diagnosed---worried

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by KHM, Mar 24, 2010.

1. KHM

KHM Approved members

Big exhale...I definitely need some peace--even while there's little certainty. Sometimes I remind myself that I know for sure her blood sugars were over 350 for at least 3 months pre-dx and although that's not what we want, so far as we know, there's been no irreparable damage.

I do know a thing can be overthought. I'll think about that...:D I actually just cracked myself up. Thanks.

2. KHM

KHM Approved members

Badshoe> (Brensdad + KHM) +std. dev :rolleyes:

3. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Anytime, glad you could relax a bit and have a laugh.....there is a great quote about laughter..hmm...I know I have seen it someplace....;)

4. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

It looks like you've "vented" your worry enough to finally smile - That's wonderful!!! :D

Now, however you choose to proceed, it is obvious that you are looking out for the best interest of your DD. You might decide to make some adjustments now OR you may decide to wait until you are under the wing of an better endo or CDE. As you noted, no serious damage has occured at this time. And she does have the benefit of insulin now which did not have previous to dx.

The negative about waiting is that she will not be feeling her best. Those highs make you feel crappy.

I'm so glad you found the forum. I look forward to many contributions from you over time. You'll be a veteran before you know it.

5. KHM

KHM Approved members

Frosty day in Hell

I can hardly believe this myself but its true so I'll tell you all: I got in touch with "our" current endo... I sent her an email asking for an increase in quantity for our test strips (jeez are those expensive!). I didn't want to seem hostile and there's been no communication for a couple of weeks so I gave her the high level summary of Lindsay's status and asked if she had any recommendations to make.

1) Hurrah for a new script and copays much less than retail...
    2) She said she'd start CGM next week.

So we have a week or more to get through but its some progress while we await our dream endocrinologist...

I'm sure there's a margarita in my future today.

6. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

OMG!! That is so awesome!! That will tell you what you need to know and give you great info until you see the new endo--as well as your lab reports for the tests you ped is running. Hurray for you!!

(You do realize you will be on these boards more than ever trying to make sense out of cgm. :D )

7. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Just wanted to wish you good luck through all of this.

I am amazed at how knowledgeable you already are. Over 3yrs in, and I've flunked a lot of the D classes.:eek:

8. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

As a relative newcomer myself (though I see I've graduated from "junior member" to "member"), I didn't have any words of wisdom to offer.

I'm hopeful the cgms will give you some definitive answers and just wanted to say welcome and also that this thread demonstrates why this board is so wonderful. The support and technical advise is amazing.

Sorry you had to join this group, but welcome.

9. KHM

KHM Approved members

Thanks for the good wishes.

Its been a mixed blessing in my life that I've been able to support many people I love through difficult health experiences because of the choices I made in education and my natural fascination with all of that. But for the record, I know a lot about knitting, spinning wool and music and for once it would be a nice change to support someone with those kinds of needs... ;)

10. KHM

KHM Approved members

Definitely amazing...and given the need, yep, I'm glad to be here. And yes, this is a gratuitous post to boost my post count and graduate myself...

11. wilf

wilf Approved members

Hi there. Just back after a long day away.

If your DD's blood sugar is in range within a couple of hours of a mealtime bolus/correction than she is surely going to go low because the Novolog lasts for 4 or so hours in most children (with about 60-65% active in the first 2 hours and 35-40% active in the second 2 hours). So if she's say 125 at the 2 hour mark, you need to give her a snack with carbs to keep her from going low and measure again a little while later. The other thing you do, if you're seeing this happen meal after meal, is you reduce the amount of insulin she's getting in her boluses and meals.. :cwds:

12. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

Maybe. I've seen it not be the case... it depends on the meal. For 2 years now, we've had problems with slow absorbing lunches. Alex would routinely dip to 100 by the 2 hour mark, and then spike to 200 or more after that. This happens when when has a big lunch at school (about 80 carbs). We've had to post-bolus large lunches by a good amount of time to work around it.

13. wilf

wilf Approved members

Yesterday's lunch was "sandwich (really high carb bread), orange, wheat thins"..

14. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

I was just about to type the same thing. It really is a YDMV situation because many times Ian is in range at 2 hours and then stays in range at 4 hours. And many times he's in range at 2 hours and then gone high and many times he's in range at 2 hours and then continues to go low.
    for instance, tonight Ian had an ezMac (sue me) and at 90 min he was 102. but now an hour past that he's 149 and I expect him to stay there for a bit. (until 6 hours from now when he'll probably go high LOL)

and I"m sure we've just made things as clear as mud for you.

15. wilf

wilf Approved members

We've not got any information to suggest they're checking every 30 minutes - I had recommended it from 1-3 hours out after a few meals to see if there were lows/rebound occurring and if so to allow them to take measures to prevent them.

16. wilf

wilf Approved members

Good news, this. :)

17. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

I wasn't suggesting they were, I was using it more as an exaggeration.

Right, your suggestions of that, which followed mine, where I first suggested she was getting too much insulin. first in post #17 when I first mentioned that she might be getting too much insulin and then in post #27 when I suggested she check 1 hour after meals.

18. sammysmom

sammysmom Approved members

I used to think that in range at 2 hours meant an impending low bg at 3 or 4 hours but that has not always been the case. Most of the time, when we properly pre bolus the 2 hr in range number means that the food and insulin are actually working together, like it is supposed to do. When my son wears the cgm it is very easy to see how the food and insulin working together.

Congrats on the cgm. It is a useful tool in the diabetes game!

19. Marcia

Marcia Approved members

You are getting some really good advice from so many, and I admire you for jumping right in to get your child's bg's in a better range. May I suggest that it may help to avoid certain foods while you are making all of these adjustments and tesing so often-pizza is VERY difficult to bolus for a lot of people due to the high fat content and high carb content. Pasta is also tricky for some. The fat in pizza will delay carb absorption-that will just make it harder for you to get a good picture of what the bg's are really doing. As far as the constipation and bloating issues-please do not use "sugar free" foods or sugar substitute, it will make it worse. You are wise to have labwork done to r/o thyroid and celiac issues.

20. badshoe

badshoe Approved members

BadShoe > Brendsdad none of this > (Bring It Geek Boy!)

Whoa... that is all kinds of Zen.

A good laugh is important. Here is the best diabetes laugh we got after our first dx. http://www.ydmv.net/2008/01/little-help-from-your-friends.html

And yes, this is a gratuitous post to boost my post count too.