- advertisement -

Newly diagnosed Type 1 Diabetes

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by nashrose18, Dec 31, 2016.

1. nashrose18

nashrose18 New Member

Hello! My 9 year old daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes on December 19th, 2016. She is on Novalog before meals and Lantis before bed. Her numbers are all over the place. She has jumped up to 424....and dropped to 38. We see her doctor next week. However, we are trying to prepare for when she goes back to school. I do not feel comfortable sending her when her numbers are still all over the place. Are there certain highs and lows that the school will send her home at? She has no school nurse, so I will be going at lunch time to give her insulin shot. I called to set up a 504 plan, but its obviously put on hold because its winter break. But until then...I have a million questiins.. will she be able to test her blood sugar in the classroom? Can I send out letters alerting all of the staff of her condition. Can she keep her supplies right with her? Does the Glucagon have to stay in the office? Will she get into trouble for missing too many days? I am overwhelmed by all of the preparations to make sure that she is safe at school. Does anyone have any helpful information about going back to school?

2. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Hi and Happy New Year!
    Welcome to this forum. I know you will get some very valuable information from parents "in the trenches" with children dx'd at 9 or so. Though you might feel that "deer in the headlights" feeling now, please know that things will get easier. There are lots of ups and downs in the beginning as you and the doctor figure out the right amount of Lantus and Novolog. In time your daughter's numbers will become more predictable and you and she will become pros at figuring out what works best for her! Don't hesitate to ask your doctor's office any question you can think of at the visit next week...make a list! If you can't wait, ask someone to call you! That's what they are there for. Ask away here as well! We've all been there at the beginning of this strange journey! Please remember to take good care of yourself as you care for your daughter!

3. Ali

Ali Approved members

I would call my Dr's office daily to get feedback:) Also did they tell you what to do for low numbers? High numbers? Lows are pretty important to treat so make sure you know how to do that. Also calling in daily will allow you to hopefully eliminate some of the lows. Sorry, it does get better. If you have not already order a few good books and start learning. ali

4. coconne3

coconne3 Approved members

Sorry you had to join our club. As far as school is concerned, I made a list of hypo/hyper symptoms (smiley face symptom guide is helpful) and gave it to her teachers with a picture of her (she was 5) but I continued to do it especially for new teachers. When she turned 9, I began to let her test in classroom and call the nurse. I've heard of Some states and school systems that have issue with this but she does have a right to do it in the classroom if you think being newly diagnosed she can appropriately do it alone. When my daughter went to a school without a nurse, I had an employee agree to learn how to help her and do her checks. But I was always told from the beginning, no one had to agree to do that for liability reasons. (I was lucky). I still had to go in and give her insulin at snack/lunch but we got on the pump within 6 months so that was short lived.
    when you do you 504 put it in, that there is no penalty for medical appts and get a note when you go to the MD each time.
    Good luck and keep your head up!!

5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

6. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

I am not sure if anyone has told you about CGM's but just in case your team hasnt, check out Dexcom.com

T1D still stinks but with a CGM there is less guessing/wondering/worrying.

(Sorry for the diagnosis).

7. marleyparley

marleyparley New Member

Definitely invest in the Dexcom CGM! Our daughter started school this year and its what helps me feel at ease about sending her. Our school also doesn't have a nurse. But they were happy to learn about diabetes. We set up a meeting with the principal, teacher, and office staff and they are all aware of what needs to happen. My daughters assistant teacher takes care of her and texts me twice a day with her blood sugars at snack time and I'm able to tell her what snack she can eat. We also have sent extra juice boxes and sugar for her to have in her desk in case of an emergency. Its such a big learning curve, I feel for you. I had many overwhelming days. But try to remember that you understand it now, but before your diagnosis you knew nothing of diabetes. Your teacher will do the same, she will learn and understand just like you did! Maybe not administering insulin, but just being aware of the numbers, snacks, what to look for ect. You're not alone! I pray that her week goes well! xo

8. WestOfPecos

WestOfPecos Approved members

I am so sorry about your diagnosis!

I think you should not feel bad about keeping her away from school for a few days until you have settled your routine. After my son was daignosed, our choices in life changed a lot. For instance, we care a lot less about what the school wants us to do, and a lot mre about what is the right thing for him to do in our eyes. We took him out of school a week early before xmas to take him to a blues and food road trip down South and we had no remorse at all:)

This is really overwhelming at first. So imho don't rush it. Make sure you are really comfortable with your endo, nurse educator, and nutritionist. It is worth choosing the very best pediatric hospital in your area, because few places understand pediatric diabetes care well, and even fewer know how to educate you. We took 12 classes in 6 months last year, and went to a week-end camp, and still feel there is a lot we don't know. We have read at least a dozen books, and keep on researching on the web.

I also agree with everyone else - a CGM makes a HUGE difference to her quality of care and to your amount of sleep. Both are important.

Good luck. If there is anything you would like to talk about, feel free to msg me, and we can set up a conversation on the phone whenever you want. I know my first conversation with another T1D parent was a huge difference to me. She helped me a lot, and made me understand what is important and what is not.

9. msschiel

msschiel Approved members

Sorry to hear you had to join our club, but this is a great group of people to get to know if you have to be here! My son was diagnosed 3 years ago, at almost 11. You are always learning something with D. You can eat the same thing at the same time every day and still have different numbers. It is overwhelming at first, but you will eventually get into a new routine. We spent 4 days in the hospital and then he was home for a day and went back to school. I even grew up with a diabetic father and didn't know how complicated it was. My son had a classmate that was diagnosed 2 months after he was (she was diagnosed right before Christmas) and her parents knew nothing about D. I was put in touch with her through a mutual friend and we have become quite close. Another male classmate of his was diagnosed just last year and she has joined our little club, too.

Thankfully we have a great nursing staff at our school and quite a few diabetics between the middle and high schools. We just got a CGM in March of last year after months of not sleeping after going on the pump. It can drive you crazy, but it is well worth it just for know which way he is going and how fast. Also, like a previous poster mentioned, finding another parent/child with Type 1 Diabetes can be a huge help.

10. guy prouty

guy prouty New Member

I was about your daughters age when I was diagnosed back in 1968. All of the suggestions are wonderful and I too highly recommend a CGM system. I wear one myself and find it of great value because it reduces stress. What I also suggest is to enroll your daughter in a diabetes camp for children. I have worked as a counselor at Camp Hodia (www.hodia.org) in Idaho since 1978 and the staff, including physicians, nurses, and certified diabetic educators, who are all volunteer, teach children the skills and confidence to deal with their diabetes. There are many camps across the United States and Canada who offer these same services and check them out in your area! I wish your daughter and yourself well as you learn to live well with diabetes.