- advertisement -

Newly diagnosed son - Advice?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by thompson374, Apr 15, 2011.

1. JackyH

JackyH Approved members

Be prepared for it to sink in in a few weeks. Oscar was amazing for the first three weeks and then it hit him that this was for life - he became very, very angry, rebelled against everything - giving him a shot or a finger poke became a half hour ordeal - he kept saying he was never going to eat again and was just going to die (all very upsetting). It took about a month before he settled down and started to accept it again. I hope this doesn't happen but if it does, it's just the next stage and completely normal. Just be patient and understanding.

2. 5kids4me

5kids4me Approved members

Hi! I'm sorry you had to find this site, but so glad you did! There is so much information here and I know my son's health has benefited from the vast array of knowledge and experience that I have received from this forum and website. My son , who was 8 at the time, was dx'ed this time last year and your post has really hit home with me. Please know that someone is here and can help you through when you need it.

If you didn't get the Pink Panther book from the hospital, I would start there. To me it was less overwhelming than some of the more in-depth t1d books that you will want to read once you get the basics down.

My son received a Bag of hope in the hospital and even though he was a big boy, the Teddy bear still means a lot to him. If you didn't receive one, you can go here for more info http://www.jdrf.org/index.cfm?page_id=110888.

Take a deep breath...there is a long journey ahead of you, but you and your son will be OK! Hang on and keep on keeping on!

Ps, I think someone mentioned the multiclix lancets-I highly recommend it as well! Much less brutal on little fingers.

3. MountainJam

MountainJam Approved members

DS was 8 when diagnosed and we are now 1 1/2 years into this. He, too, has handled the whole situation incredibly well and we take our cues from him. If he needs to talk or complain, we listen and try to help. Otherwise, we try to keep things as close to what people generally call "normal" as possible. Like most kids, he just wants to not be different.

It will take some trial and error to find your comfort zone, just be patient, it will come. We have all been there and mostly found our "new normal". The best advice I have is to read, learn, ask questions, then read and learn some more.

4. bnmom

bnmom Approved members

Sorry that you are here, but welcome :)

Type1 and Type2 are totally different, so don't let them confuse you. Just practice nodding and smiling while 'helpful' family or friends with Type2 experience give you advice...chances are you'll get alot of it, and very little (if any) that will apply to your son.

I would cave and get him the cell phone. Right now you're probably too scared to let him out of your site, but at this age it won't be long before he'll be begging to go out and play, go to a buddies, etc. My son is 14 and I don't know that I'd be able to handle it when he does such things if I wasn't able to shoot him a quick text just to check in.

We don't use a scale - measuring cups and the Calorie King book are our meal tools. Simplifying the kitchen helped me alot. I bought glasses that hold 1 cup, so rather than measure and pour - we can just pour a glass. I also use a sharpie and write the carbs/serving right on most packages (yes it's on the label, but its faster & easier to see the info at a glance as soon as I pick something up...that has been a great time saver!)

My son loves the One Touch Delica lancer (finger poker) - it's very thin needle is as close to painless as we've found.

There are a million ways to make things more manageable, and you'll get FANTASTIC info and support on this forum.

As others have said, the most important thing is to make diabetes work around your son, not vice versa. He will be able to have sleepovers, play sports, go trick-or-treating...all the normal kid things. It just take a little more advance planning than it used to. Diabetes sucks, but you just have to roll with it and everything will be okay!:cwds:

5. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

I hate that you needed to but am so glad that you found this forum. You have received so much wonderful advice already: books, Accu-Chek Multiclix, keep life "normal" as far as activities and such.

In the beginning, we used a simple $5 diet scale from Wal-Mart that had a hopper (cup) on top. This was handy for chips, pretzels, goldfish crackers and such. We have great measuring cups with a handle that we use for serving veggies. I also have some oval shaped mesuring cups that are perfect for pasta and "bulky" type foods. We have "toddler" cups from Tupperware that are 8 oz. Our set of little glass prep bowls (like the chefs on TV use to have their ingrediants ready to pour into the main bowl) have 1/4, 1/3 and 1/2 markings on them. She uses these for ice cream and pudding.

As a family, we would play "guess the carbs" and then check the Calorie King book to see if we had it right.

When she does not have a package readily available with carb info and she does not know the carb amount for that item, she estimates based on the size of the serving. Most servings that fit in the palm of your cupped hand = 15 grams. This would not work for small candies (Skittles, M & M's) but it does work for a lot of items.

Carb counting is crucial to good management. Our daughter was 8 1/2 when dx in Jan 07. In June, she went to a weeklong church camp and did all her carb counting without a scale, cups or carb counts on packages. She simply eyeballed it. Her BG log showed that she was doing a great job. Her weekly BG average was fantastic.

Come to the forum often to ask questions, share feelings/vent, and post victories.

6. wilf

wilf Approved members

The only thing I would add at this point to all the good advice that you've gotten is to try to make sure that your family life doesn't become focussed on the diabetes to the exclusion of all the other things that make life worth living. To the extent you can, you want to continue with activities that make you all happy. There may be some adjustments needed to ensure that the D is taken care of, and we're here if you need any support in that regard. :cwds:

7. Marcia

Marcia Approved members

Glad you found us, but sorry you needed to. Everyone has had very good suggestions. One thing that I was guilty of was referring to a BG as being "bad" or "good" and this is just a poor habit to start. Your child will pick up on this as something they have done that is "bad." A BG is "in range" or "out of range". Also important are facial expressions, your child will pick up your emotions and deal with D in that way. It's okay for you to feel afraid, lonely, unsure-but your kid needs to see you as a pillar of strength right now. We will be here to help you grt through the tough times.

8. rutgers1

rutgers1 Approved members

We have a 9 year old son who was diagnosed last year. He has been coming out of his "honeymoon" stage this year, which has featured some bumps in the road. Luckily, I found this forum, which has helped a great deal.

My wife and I would be happy to give you our "1 year out" experiences if you'd like to chat via phone. Our niece was diagnosed a year earlier, so we were lucky enough to have someone to talk to. If you don't have someone like that, we'd be happy to be that person for you. The people on this board know MUCH more than us, but the ups and downs of that first year are very fresh in our minds, and we'd be happy to speak to you. I have found that, as my circle of friends who are in the same boat has expanded, I have felt much more comfortable. But as you can see if you read any of my recent posts, I still have a bunch of unanswered questions.

- John and Sue
    (201-857-2488)

9. twicker1

twicker1 Approved members

Also, I know it is a personal choice to put where you live, but even if you include your state, it can help when it comes to school stuff and laws in that state.

A carrying case... We've used different things. A small canvas tote bag from Hobby Lobby, a collapsable lunch kit, and currently, a Swiss Army little bag I had found at Target. I like the extra space, and the emblem. Makes it look medical.

This week especially, look for the little snack size Skittles. These are perfect to stick in his pocket or backpack, although a little tempting too.

You will find a new normal, but it might take a while. That's okay. We are six years in, and I must have cried at the drop of a hat for the entire first year. It's been a LONG time, but I found myself crying last week.

Boys... I'm not sure if it is correct to say that boys act differently, or if it is just that Brandon was so young when diagnosed, but he doesn't talk about diabetes much, and has only actually gotten sad over it once or twice. I've only heard him say he wishes he never got diabetes a handful of times over the past 6 years. Maybe it's just a personality thing...

Don't be afraid to ask questions. I'm not here as much as I use to be, but there is always someone ready to answer questions or lend support. HUGS!