- advertisement -

Newly Diagnosed & going to Mexico... Am I insane??

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Lisa Marie Schulte, Sep 26, 2010.

1. Lisa Marie Schulte

Lisa Marie Schulte Approved members

I am out of my mind with anxiety! My daughter was dx 3 mos ago and is only 5. We have had a BIG family trip planned (whole family) for 3 years. We are going to Mexico in late Feburuary. Sophia has not been sick yet and I am super nervous about all the learning I have had about the first time or when she gets sick. How do I keep her safe from getting sick, diarrhea, etc in Mexico??? We are staying at the Omni (large hotel). What precautions do I need to take? What do I do if she does get diarrhea or sick? Is it a crazy idea to go???

HELP!

lisa

2. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

You are NOT out of your mind! Definitely plan to go on this trip. You will have a great time. This is a good time to start planning and figuring out what to take and gathering info.

I've never been to Mexico but I imagine a resort in Mexico would be pretty safe, water and food wise (compared to our trip to Haiti). I'm sure others will have advice on specifics to Mexico.

You will definitely need to take along antidiahrrea/antivomitting meds (your dd's Dr can prescribe something). You will also want to take lots of D supplies including ketone testing supplies (a blood ketone meter would be ideal) and batteries for everything (meters, pump, cgms, whatever she uses). And you can find or make up problem solving/trouble shooting papers for things like what to do if she vomits, what to do if her bg is high and stays high, what to do if she is having stubborn lows (due to so much activity).

Plan for all contingencies......but expect to have a great time!!!

3. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Lisa Im sorry about your daughters diagnosis:( I agree with the PP, youve been planning this trip for a very long time so I think you should go. Discuss with your daughters diabetes team what you need to bring with you. I would advise only drinking spring water while you are there and having lots of extra supplies for when you are there. Also try to find out more information about the nearest hospital to the hotel

4. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

Staying at the big resorts and only drinking the water they provide there, it's unlikely you'll get sick. Everything is over the counter in Mexico, so ask your doctor what they recommend if she does get diarrhea before you go, cause you'll be able to just go to a store and buy it.

I went last February. I brought single serving things of gatorade to mix with water bottles there and immodium in case I got sick. I didn't need either.

You'll be much more comfortable with the ins and outs of diabetes management by February, and will have a great time.

5. kyles_mom

kyles_mom Approved members

I just wanted to add like funnygirl said, by February you will be a little more comfortable and actually feel like you're getting a handle on it..........have fun!

6. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

mine made us go to busch gardens after dx. didn't want to go, but it was the best thing for us.

Go and have fun!!! Feb is way off

7. MichS

MichS Approved members

Nope - not at all. Well, unless I am too! And that is highly likely!!

My son was dx OCt 08, and we travelled to Mexico March 09, so much the same as you. BUT, you'll have to do lots to prepare. Rather than retype everything - do a search for travelling with diabetes on this forum, and for Mexico. Many of us have posted our tips and experiences. The biggest ones being:
    Have dr. note explaining diabetes so you can take all supplies on the flight.
    Take double of what you'll need for the trip.

HAVE FUN! You'll have a great time!

8. Corinne Masur

Corinne Masur Approved members

I have spent a lot of time in Mexico and the usual rules are:

Only drink bottled drinks (even at the resort)
    Only eat fruit you have peeled yourself
    Only eat cooked foods, especially vegetables
    Do not buy the snacks sold by vendors on the street
    As others have said, take anti diarrheal meds for your daughter (and everyone else in the family).

Otherwise ask your pediatrician and endo their opinions about your five year old going on the trip.

9. Ed2009

Ed2009 Approved members

Is not that bad. If you want to be overly safe, just eat whatever you can peel off or it is cooked, and drink only from the bottle. Anyway, there are a lot of excellent food chains (from McD to Carl's burger), or if you want the local food there's also a restaurant chain called VIPS!, which is very very good, it can't go wrong. Another good one is SANBORN'S, which is a sort of big store (almost everything is there), and might have a restaurant. Eating in any of these is 110% safe. For shopping, try Liverpool, big department store.

You might want to avoid the carts in the street, whether it is for tacos, fruits, or juices. If you are used to Mex life it's OK, you develop the eye for which one is clean and which is not, so I'd pass them over.

For the rest, diagnosis and all, maybe you want to carry with you a scale, just to be sure you dose correctly. Get a carb list from Taco Bell, it'll give roughly the carb content of the local food.

Don't count it'll be easy to get supplies or insulin. It is not widely available, so take a few more than needed with you. Normally every city has a pharmacy or two specialized in diabetes, the rest might not carry insulin, your brand of strips, or other supplies. So don't count that you'll find THE pharmacy in the hour of need. But again, just go for it. We do travel a lot with our boy, and frankly, we have no issues whatsoever.

10. Annapolis Mom

Annapolis Mom Approved members

Congratulations! Because you are taking this trip so early in the diagnosis, you will probably find many of what I thought of as "barriers" to be no problem at all. You will have a great time and learn so much about how to live happily with diabetes.

11. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

My general advice to parents is that if you would have done something without diabetes you have to figure out how to do it with diabetes. You owe it to your daughter and your family.

Your trip to Mexico will be a great place to start. Previous posters have all encouraged you to plan and go -- perfect advice.

For any trips outside your home country, the ISPAD Member Directory is a great place to find the name and contact information for a pediatric endocrinologist -- just in case:

http://www.ispad.org/MemberDirectory.html

While it's highly unlikely that you'd ever need it, having a print out of peds endos who practice close to where you are going is always a good idea.

12. Mom2rh

Mom2rh Approved members

I would like to encourage you as well...we have been to Mexico several times since Ryan's diagnosis...he has even been certified to scuba dive and been diving there. You will just need to think the diabetes care through and take extra supplies.

We love Mexico and have not had a problem getting sick there. If you are going to a tourist area, it will be a breeze because they are accustomed to tourists and want to keep them happy and not sick!

Don't change your plans...and by the time you travel some of this won't be as scary as it is now.

13. evinsmom

evinsmom Approved members

Lisa,

So glad to see your name here! You have gotten some excellent advice already and my two cents is the same - go! You will make leaps and bounds by February.

14. Lisa Marie Schulte

Thank you all!!!

THANK YOU ALL for your comments, support, advise, encouragement and suggestions. I feel so much better already!!! :)

15. Lisa Marie Schulte

Hello Jeff,

Thank you so much for your advise! I tried to find an Endo in Cancun through that web site you suggested, but had no luck??? Any suggestions?

lisa

16. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

I suggest you ask your dd's endo if you can have a few phone numbers to call in an emergency (their regular emergency number and maybe someone's cell phone or another endo office's number). You won't need it....all will go well but just in case!

17. Lisa Marie Schulte

Ok, thank you!! :) :)

18. Deal

Deal Approved members

Something you may or may not already have in your 'd' bag is an emergency rooms guide to dealing with someone with Diabetes. It's for that rare rare case where you actually need to goto the hospital and the people taking care of you don't have their procedures down pat. I have a copy of this one in my bag: http://www.health.gov.on.ca/english/providers/pub/diabetes/child_pocketcard.pdf

We happenned to have a cruise scheduled a few months after diagnosis and ds did get ill. We had to use a mini-glucogen shot to get his bg up after we failed to keep anything in his stomach for long. As long as you are prepared for the worst cases you can enjoy the vacation as planned. Have fun.