- advertisement -

Newly diagnosed daughter- eye check?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by jkrjk, Jan 8, 2014.

1. jkrjk

jkrjk Approved members

Just curious if I should get my 8 year old daughter's eyes checked now since she is type 1?? What is the worry with the eyes? Diminished eye sight, maybe needing glasses one day? Hoping its nothing too scary.

Also, is this something that usually only occurs if you don't manage diabetes to the best of your ability? Or is everyone at risk, just depending on how their body handles things?

There is so much I still don't know… thanks in advance for any help!

2. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

The concern is with diabetic retinopathy. We have my daughter's eyes tested every year, as well as a retinal scan done each year for her. They are watching changes in the eyes. The eye doctor that saw my daughter post-diagnosis was fantastic. She showed her scans of retinopathy and her own scans, explained what retinopathy is, and told her that the closer we keep her A1C to a 6, the lower the chance she has of getting it and told her of her T1 friend who had no problems after 30 years. On the flip side, our regular eye doctor has told me that it is very rare that she doesn't see problems within a couple years. I think she was as excited as I was with this year's scan. There's a study posted somewhere here of the risks of complications at different A1Cs; it's very enlightening on the benefits of tight control. It may be in Darryl's signature.

Also, our insurance pays for my daughter's retinal scans even though they won't pay for them for the rest of the family. Check with your insurance to see if they'll cover it!

3. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

Our Endo suggests going every other year unless there are issues. We go yearly because she wears glasses and has for years even pre-diagnosis.

4. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

A baseline scan is helpful, but diabetes-related eye issues in kids are very, very rare. I'm a big fan of non-mydriatic screening, meaning no pupil dilation. It's much easier, especially for kids.

A team from the New Jersey School of Medicine comes to CWD's annual Friends for Life conference each year with state-of-the-art equipment and provides free retinal screening to people with type 1. If you can make it to FFL in July in Orlando, the screening there is amazing.

5. Mish

Mish Approved members

Your endo team might suggest an exam within a few years of dx, but in an otherwise healthy child you'll probably have no other worries for years and years and years. Many kids end up needing glasses when puberty hits in general, but that has nothing to do with diabetes.

My only suggestion is that you need to choose your eye doctor with care. You do not want to bring your newly diagnosed 8 year old to a physician who sees mostly adult type 2s and have her listen to scare stories.

6. MEVsmom

MEVsmom Approved members

My 8 year old (then 7 yr old) daughter was diagnosed in July. Our endo recommends a once a year eye exam. I took her in November. It's no big deal so if you have good insurance then why not get a baseline and head off any issues. We took our daughter to a pediatric eye doctor. He actually was previously a general pediatrician and he was great. She was a bit weirded out by the dilation and it took forever for it to go away and she LOVES all things medical and doctor related....really...it's weird.

7. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

This is very good advice! For the past two years, we've been seeing the family ophthalmologist for the eye check who was so reassuring about seeing no complications in patients who've had T1 for a long time. This year, we went to the eye clinic at the Barbara Davis Center, and Whoa Nelly! The doc went through all the horror stories before even examining DD! Fortunately, she took it with a grain of salt because of the two previous appointments with the mellow, encouraging doc.

8. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

Our endo recommended a dilated exam within the first year as a baseline, & annual exams after that. Part of his reasoning is due to dd's age at dx & the onset of puberty which followed shortly after. We don't get the dilated exam. Instead, we go to a clinic that uses the Opto Map for retina screening. No dilation needed, & we can instantly see the results & compare them side by side with previous years.

9. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

Both of my kids go yearly. They just do a bit extra for Charlie to make sure his eyes are okay.

10. swellman

swellman Approved members

I recommend a yearly medical eye exam by a good DO for baseline and continuing care. Ours is covered by medical insurance.

11. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We were required to get a baseline exam after diagnosis. Our endo said it was just a baseline, and that most likely there would be no issues, but they wanted to have it on file. We didn't have to go out and immediately get it done. We get one yearly by a DO because our insurance covers it, but we have never had an issue with diabetes related vision problems.

But the key is, you want to go to a good DO, not just a Vision Center type place optemetrist. Our doctor actually specializes in pediatric vision, so that's a bonus. He's a little goofy, but he's great with the kids (probably why he's goofy!):D

12. ksartain

ksartain Approved members

Our endo recommended a baseline as well. Chris was 7. The doctor we went to was wonderful. He said if there were any issues at all between the yearly exams, like headaches from having to squint at school, to come in immediately and he would bill it as a doctor visit so we wouldn't have to pay the full price for an optic exam.

I think he was a little over-excited to have a T1D in his office and get to share all the information he learned in eye school, but he was very thorough.

13. jkrjk

jkrjk Approved members

Thanks so so much everyone… really helpful info. Its such a blessing to have found this board.