- advertisement -

Newly Diagnosed and Lost on what to do next

Discussion in 'Celiac' started by foxa71, Apr 21, 2011.

1. foxa71

foxa71 Approved members

I posted first in the Parents of Type 1 Diabetics. http://forums.childrenwithdiabetes.com/showthread.php?t=63460

To sum it up, I have one of the pickiest eaters in the world and a very small grocery budget. I'd love to hear your experiences and advice / tips for how to actually incorporate a glutten free diet.

2. lisamustac

lisamustac Approved members

I replied to your original post but give us your favorite foods and we will give you our opinion on what gf option is best before you spend tons of money on trial and error.

With 3 celiacs in the house we have become very good at substituting or recreating. You will get the hang of it and learn how to shop without spending a fortune.

3. foxa71

foxa71 Approved members

Thank you for the link. I had found a site that listed some products but I can't find it now that I've reformated my computer. This should come in very handy.

4. lisamustac

lisamustac Approved members

I recently purchased gluten free on a shoestring cookbook and it is a great book. Not sure how much time you have to really bake from scratch but she makes it easy enough and on a budget. As I try the recipes I will start to post what is worth trying.

Attempting gf apple pie with homemade crust for Easter...wish me luck!

5. jewlzann

jewlzann Approved members

just a few ideas

Not sure what your little one likes... but if you stick to the 4 basic food groups when cooking a meal..most meat, veggies, fruit, dairy are naturally GF...baked potatoes, mashed potatoes, etc. For snacks, cheese, raisins, there are a lot of gluten free chips available (not speciality chips), fruit snacks, eggs, yogurt (most) jello, pudding (just double check), applesauce, bacon.

6. LittleGuy'sMom

LittleGuy'sMom Approved members

Before my dd was dx'd with celiac, she would avoid pasta and pizza. We thought she was being picky but after going gf, we realized those things probably hurt her stomach and she was too young to tell us. Regular stuff is ridiculously expensive in CA and gf food is even worse. :mad: There's still lots of regular stuff that's gf, just not labelled as such. I found that ordering stuff off Amazon helps to cut costs. Bisquick is a lot cheaper on Amazon using their subscription service than it is at my local Safeway. Trader Joe's gf waffles are cheaper than Van's, plus my kids like TJ's waffles better. TJ's also has gf rice flour tortillas that are pretty decent. Recently local Costco stores were carrying gf ravioli made by Pasta Prima though I didn't see them restocked the last time I was there.

There's a yahoo group that I found a few months ago, http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/bayareaceliacROCK/ , for Raising Our Celiac Kids. There's a lot of helpful local info on there.

7. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

I agree!

We love the bread mix and the pancake mix from Pamela's and order it in 25-pound bags from Amazon with the subscription service (which is easy to adjust to your needs.) We get the shipping for free and the price makes it much more reasonable.

We basically shifted our eating style to cooking with naturally-gf foods: lots of veggies, potatoes and rice. We avoid the processed/frozen GF foods because we found them to be not very tasty and ridiculously expensive.

There are brands out there that are GF -- like many things by Hormel, Kozy Shack puddings, Hellman's (or Best Foods) mayonnaise, and others.