- advertisement -

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by scrappyjae, Jan 26, 2011.

1. scrappyjae

scrappyjae New Member

Hello there. Just wanted to say a quick hi. I am Mom to a newly diagnosed 17 yo young lady. Diabetes Type 1 was her early Christmas present in the form of DKA. It's been just a little over a month and we are hanging in there. She has highs and lows and everything in between. So far she isn't angry, just a little irritated I'm glad I found this site, I have already learned so much more. Thanks in advance for putting up with me!

2. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

Welcome to the Forums. Please come back often and post any questions, concerns, etc. There are so many wonderful, caring and knowledgeable folks here.

We are just a little over a year into this, and I can tell you this, it does get easier. I never ever thought a year later I would be on here giving advice or lending support to others.

Best wishes to your daughter...

Kathy

3. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Well hello and welcome!:) I am so sorry that your daughter got so sick :( If she likes, she can take a look at the forum teen section and maybe get to know some other people her age that are living (and thriving) with type 1 diabetes. And come back yourself anytime if you have questions or just need to talk to someone who understands what youre going through

4. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Welcome and so sorry about the dx. Molly was dxd this past July at 18, so I understand. It's been 6 months now and I finally feel as if our lives aren't turned upside down. We still have our days...infusion set malfunction and a morning # of 375 today =[ ...but she seems to roll with the punches much better than I do! Anyway, glad you found this site!

5. Brynn

Brynn Approved members

Hi there,
    Welcome to CWD. Just wanted to say I was diagnosed at 17 as well, it's a hard age to be diagnosed at (what age isn't) but soon those hard days well become fewer and fewer. Hang in there

6. JeremysDad

JeremysDad Approved members

You can return almost any Christmas gift. Unfortunately, her gift is not returnable :( ...just like the one Jeremy received.

Welcome to this site. Hopefully it will help you find ways to make Diabetes a much smaller part of your life.

7. Lucky 868

Lucky 868 Approved members

Welcome. My son was diagnosed last April at age 16. I know what a change this is for a teenager to go through. On top of that, as parents we feel the clock ticking on their being able to take care of themselves to move out in a couple years.

Glad your daughter has a good attitude. That's a huge help! Now that the holidays are over and you're adjusting to life with diabetes, you might want to read "Think Like a Pancreas" by Gary Scheiner (not sure I spelled his name right, my copy of the book isn't here right now). It's excellent for explaining insulin. Another good book we started with was "Type 1 Diabetes for Dummies".

Cyndy
    Mom to N, 17

8. Kalebsmom

Kalebsmom Approved members

Welcome. My son was dxd a few days after his 16th birthday
    ( also in December). My son was very very angry in the beginning. He is now over 19 on a pump and is doing so much better.

I wish your daughter the best...