- advertisement -

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by NomadIvy, May 20, 2010.

1. NomadIvy

NomadIvy Approved members

Hi. My name is Ivy. My youngest daughter, who is 6 years was diagnosed last April 17, 7 weeks after our son was born. Ours is a complicated situation (at least for me!) We travel a lot between Tokyo and Midwest. ~K, the baby and I were in the US when this all happened. My husband and two older daughters were in Japan at that time.

When ~K joined me (after 8 weeks of being apart) after the baby was born, I noticed the weight loss and increased water intake and thought I should have her blood sugars checked. But because I was alone with the newborn and had a c-section that thought went into the back burner... And never came back, not even after she had become really sick :(. By the time I took her to the ER she was close to going into coma.

Anyway, here we are, back in Tokyo, a little over a month after diagnosis. We don't have an endo here yet. Our first appointment is on Monday (yes, we have an endo in the U.S.). It's a little more challenging here as I don't know Japanese. Reading labels is impossible although I have managed to memorize what "carbohydrates" in Kanjii (Chinese script) looks like!

It's difficult enough to deal with Type1...but to be here without a support system and not knowing the language, plus having a newborn ... I am finding this quite overwhelming.

~Ivy

2. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

The International Society for Pediatric and Adolescent Diabetes (ISPAD) has an online global member directory which can be searched by country. I highly recommend this as a first step in finding care in any country:

http://www.ispad.org/MemberDirectory.html

3. NomadIvy

Thanks Jeff, will look into it right now.

Hmmm... Debating whether to research more or to sleep for two hours before having to do a midnight check!!!

4. Mistync991

Mistync991 Approved members

welcome..i dont have much advice about japan but this site will be very useful ..good luck to you and your family

5. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Hello Ivy and welcome. Im so sorry about your childs diagnosis, it does sound like you have more then enough on your plate thats for sure. We will all do what we can to help and support you. Hopefully someone from Japan will chime in and they could help you with translating instructions

6. Brynn

Brynn Approved members

Hi Ivy,
    My family and I used to live in Nagoya. I have a good friend now that has diabetes and lives in Tokyo. I can PM you her information if you would like?

7. NomadIvy

That would help Brynn. I seldom have time to log-in but I'll be checking in once in a while. Glad I found these forums. I feel so alone here and no one IRL understands.

8. Brynn

Brynn Approved members

Okay, I will send it to you as a PM

9. Kayla and Ethan's Mom

Kayla and Ethan's Mom Approved members

Welcome to the group! You'll find some really great support and anwsers here. Good luck!

10. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

Hi Ivy. Welcome to the board. I can relate to living overseas with D, although we luckily didn't have the language barrier. My son was dx in full DKA while we were living in Australia. Scary to be so far from home when you're dealing with all of that.

It looks like you've had your endo appointment already. I hope it went well.

My husband works for a Japanese company and travels there quite a bit. There's a decent chance we will end up there at some point, so I may contact you for advice if that happens.:)

11. NomadIvy

Would love to help. Interestingly enough... my husband's company is based out of Stamford, CT. We lived there for a few months in 2001 and from 2002 to 2004 and went back several times in '05 and '06. ~K, the one who has T1, was born in Bridgeport. We lived in Sydney (in Newington, at the "Olympic Village"), from 1999 to 2001.

Our pastor's daughter in Sydney was diagnosed as T1 right before we started attending their church. She was 5~6 at that time. She's 17 now and still on MDI, and doing beautifully.

12. NomadIvy

Hmm... not that I know a lot about Japan. Seems like the longer I live here, the less I know!