- advertisement -

Newbie here

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Heather-Nate's Mom, Sep 6, 2010.

1. Heather-Nate's Mom

Heather-Nate's Mom Approved members

Hi everyone! My name is Heather and have recently joined here to hopefully learn things I don't know and be able to chat with others who know the constant worries of being a parent to a diabetic child. From staying up to check their sugar in the middle of the night if they've been running high or low or ate something too late before bed and your not sure how it will affect their sugar. Worrying about them when they go to a friends house or on field trips.
    A little background: My brother was dx"d at age 12, had poor control and very difficult to manage diabetes and passed away almost 6 years ago at age 29 due to Atherosclerosis caused by poor blood sugar management. He had all too frequent seizures from extremely low blood sugar that all of us in the family have been in the position to try and get him out of at one time or another. So needless to say we had a very bad experience with diabetes.
    My son was diagnosed 10 month's ago (Nov. 2009) and I was terrified. Having knowledge of the disease has made the transition much easier than having to learn everything from scratch, but after going through and seeing what I've seen with my brother, it is just something I never thought I would have to deal with again. The technological advances that have been made since my brother's diagnosis have made managing the disease so much simpler. I am so thankful that my son got it in this day and age, as life with an insulin pump is much nicer than multiple injections for a child. My son is adjusting and doing wonderfully with all the life changes. I admire his strength and resilience. He said to me the other day, " You know, Mom, some days it just hits me that I have a deadly disease, but most of the time I don't even think about having it". Well sorry so long. I promise all my posts won't be novels. I just wanted to let you all know where I am coming from.

2. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

Welcome Heather. I am sorry you have had so much pain in your life. You are in good company here - we all want to learn how to look after our children to the best of our abilities.:) I am looking forward to your posts - the first has not been a novel - just nice and informative. Liz

3. wilf

wilf Approved members

Welcome aboard. It is so sad about your brother.

It is a small miracle how far the treatment of diabetes has advanced in so short a time.

We look forward to hearing from you on the main boards. :)