- advertisement -

New York Times post on T1d at school

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Snowflake, Oct 26, 2015.

1. Snowflake

Snowflake Approved members

2. forHisglory

forHisglory Approved members

Wow, that is terrible about the issues in Alabama!

3. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

Makes my blood boil to read this!

4. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Sadly, this doesn't surprise me. You would think in this day and age schools would be more aware of students rights. Well, they are aware of rights. They just don't let on that they know they have rights.

5. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

You hit the nail on the head. They know. But getting them to admit that...

6. msschiel

msschiel Approved members

Wow, what a sad article! Would you not give an epi shot to a child in anaphalactic shock? How is that any different that not giving a child a glucagon shot? We have 4 elementary schools, a middle school and a high school in our district. Each school has at least one nurse. The upper schools have at least 2 at some point during the day. If a parent can't go on a trip with a child that needs care, then a nurse goes on the trip. Now after school is different the parents and the child are responsible for those things, as far as I know. We haven't come to that bridge to cross it yet, but it will be coming soon.

7. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

I am finding with my child and his schooling that the district is well aware of the student with diabetes (and other medical conditions) rights, however they don't offer up that treatment until it is demanded. I was also told last year that what we, the parents of children with diabetes at his school, were requesting was out of the norm for the district. I let the nursing director know that what others did at others school for their children wasn't of concern to me because what we needed for our children at our school was all that mattered there. She started to push back and I sent here all the laws backing up our requests and amazingly she figured out how to have her nurses get it done.