- advertisement -

New with some questions

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by prncss89, May 22, 2006.

1. prncss89

prncss89 Approved members

Hi my names Melissa. My 8 year old daughter passed out last night and I took her to the ER. I followed up with her normal Dr. today. He talked to my daughter and ordered some blood work for tomorrow after fasting and first morning urine. He said he is checking for diabetes due to increased thirst, bathroom visits, tiredness( it's 3pm and she is on her second nap), and crankiness. As I read what to look for just now she seems to have all the signs. (My mother and cousin also have type 1.) However she has not lost weight as it says. Does that have to be a sign or are all people different? Also what would be normal ranges for a normal non-diabetic 8 year old? Thanks for any and all help!
    Melissa

2. selketine

selketine Approved members

Good grief! You mean they didn't check her urine for sugar or test her blood sugar at the ER?

If there is just ANY chance that she passed out and is that sick due to diabetes I would take her back to the ER right away. If you have immediate access to a blood glucose monitor you could check her at home (she should generally be between 80 and 120). It doesn't matter if she is fasting or is eating or whatever! The first morning urine doesn't matter either!

Is she still sick? William didn't lose weight but was eating A LOT of food. He was also drinking excessively (5 cups of water/milk/etc at a time) and peeing out of his diaper several times a day (he was 26 months old). When he was diagnosed his blood sugar reading (with a regular glucose monitor like your mom would use) was in the 400's.

I don't mean to frighten you but if there is ANY chance she could be diabetic - if she still isn't well - I would not wait until tomorrow. She could be DKA and extremely sick before that time. If there is ANY chance your daughter is diabetic then your doctor is VERY negligent not to have checked all of these things immediately.

3. fulljef

fulljef Approved members

Melissa,

Question... When you took her to the Hospital did they run any blood work... When we brough out son in they immedialy check his blood sugar with a meter and it was 409... I though that's good right??? How little I knew!!

If they didn't aleast do this simple test then I would be supprised. You may have caught it so early that the tell tale sign of extreemly high blood sugar is not there and they have to test for anitbodies(something that starts with a C but I can't remember any more!)

I wouldn't be overly worried unless you were unconfortable with the ER Doctor and you Ped doctor. Normal fasting Blood sugar for anyone without diabetes is 70 ~ 100 that's why they want to do it in the morning.

If you want you can get a Free Style flash from Wal-Mart I think there 28.96 and you could test it for your self to aliveate some of the emotional destress you are going throuh now. Don't get one of the generic ones they are not as accurate!

4. Ben'sMommy

Ben'sMommy Approved members

Hi Melissa,

Hi Melissa,

Weight loss does NOT have to be a sign.

My son was dx'd at 7 months and had lost hardly any weight which is unusual especially at such a young age.
    His symptoms were excessive thirst, vomiting, tiredness, irritability and eventually difficulty breathing. These symptoms developed so quickly. It was only 3 days from the time we started to worry to the time he was officially dx'd.

Our endo told us that non-diabetic blood glucose should be between 4 - 10 mmols (80 - 180 mg).
    These ranges will differ slightly for every child according to weight, age etc.

I'm disappointed to hear that ER didn't check her bg's. With those symptoms and family history I would have thought it would be one of the first things they would check.
    If I were you I'd be prepared tomorrow for them to tell you that she is Type 1 diabetic - just in case.
    If she is, please don't panic. It is awful and scary but we are all proof that life goes on and our kids live normal, healthy lives. If she isn't diabetic, we'll all be so relieved for you. Keep us posted.

Has she had any sort of infection or virus lately?? Usually an infection is the trigger that brings on Type 1 diabetes.

Best of luck,

Carol.

5. prncss89

Well now I feel like a stupid mother not demanding a blood work to be done last night at the ER! When I was there I was treated as a overreactive parent who freaked cuz their kid passed out. I was told she is a child and kids pass out all the time. That she could have gotten up to quickly and got dizzy, or she may have been hot. As for her being sick she has had a cough and cold for a week in a half. She is acting normal just a little sleepier more crabby and thirsty. My mom is bring her meter over shortly so hopefully I can sleep better tonight!

6. lisamomtotwins

lisamomtotwins Approved members

Well let us know when you find out. I def think the ER should of treated her differently!!!

7. hold48398

hold48398 Approved members

Hey prncss,
    No need to panic. Information is power, and you came to the right place. You will feel so much better once you checked her sugar. Then, take the results and do what you need to do. As far as overreacting as a parent, I have yet to be wrong on my gut feelings. Insist until you get an answer. No ifs, ands or buts. It's your child and it's your right to get an answer. It doesn't matter how many medical professionals you upset all the way. You are doing the right thing!

Best of luck and remember: We are here for you!

8. zimbie45

zimbie45 Approved members

WOW
    im surprised they didnt do any blood work up at the er.... Dont feel like a stupid mother at all.. YOU ARE DOING THE RIGHT THING.. ONly a few us here really knew what the signs and symtoms of diabetes where befor dx... Its not something that it taught very often adn more education needs to go out.. Any way.. find out what he meter reading is and if its high ( normal range for a non diabetic is 80-120 range) Ifs its out side of those ranges go to the ER... trust your gut feeling on this.... As far as your other question.. no not every one will lose weight.. my daughter never did but she never gained any either... keep us all posted. we are all here for you with any questions you ahve and support.... we have all been there.......please keep us posted

9. Ben'sMommy

Ben'sMommy Approved members

You shouldn't feel stupid. The ER staff should!
    Let us know what happens.

Carol.

10. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Don't feel stupid, the ER should, they are supposed to be professionals. You will find that ER docs, while well trained and educated, aren't all they are cracked up to be! I think we all have a story or two to tell. I've never heard that kids pass out a lot, from being hot or dizzy. In that case, at the gymnastics b'day party we had for my kids this week would have had a serious problem!
    Anyway, it is great your doc is drawing the labs w/o any prodding. D symptoms are different in every child. My daughter while having extreme thirst and urination also had a diaper rash that turned into a staph infection on her bottom caused by her sugars being so high.
    I hope that the tests come back negative, but prepare for the worst and hope for the best. Keep us posted. We are all sending good thoughts your way!

11. selketine

selketine Approved members

It is the ER's fault for not testing - and I think your dr. should have been more pro-active as well. I've just read and been told stories of children that were sent home from the hospital or dr. and the parents told they had the flu or something - then within a day they had to be helicoptered to a hospital from the dr's office - they were extremely sick at that point.

William was not so ill at diagnosis - his pedi wanted to see him asap and ran the right tests for diabetes but the nurse practicioner that we saw that morning told us she was almost 100% sure it was just a urinary tract infection and not diabetes because he seemed otherwise fine. All the other diabetic kids she had seen at diagnosis were much more ill.

So every kid is different - I think it is great that you are keeping watch - you know the family history of type 1. Hopefully you got some good news on your mom's meter last night that everything was normal with her bgl.

Let us know what happens.

12. Twyla

Twyla Approved members

our diagnosis expeience

I thought our experience might be helpful to some here. Gabriel, 5, was diagnosed in April. We noticed excess thirst, peeing and an absolutely HUGE appetite. After one particular night with a lot of bathroom trips and one wet bed my husband and I decided to test (he's a type 2 so we have a monitor). Normally I go to work before Gabriel is awake and the original plan was for my husband to test him whenever he woke up. I didn't want to be away if there was any chance of a bad result so we tested him before I left (having to wake him up to do so) and, sure enough, he was over 400.

Off to the ER where he was taken straight back. I think they thought we'd already seen our ped. and the diagnosis had been confirmed--they treated us as a real potential emergency. Blood was drawn, a urine test done etc..and we waited. Here's the main thing I wanted to share--Gabriel's first blood tests came back perfectly normal! They were repeated and were still normal. At this point I think the doctors started looking at us as kind of neurotic, jumping the gun sort of parents. More tests were pending and they left us alone for awhile. Some lab results (urine) came back and were left in his folder. I got tired of waiting and went and looked at them myself. This got a doctor back with us very quickly :rolleyes: He was busy explaining how all the tests were looking good as he scrolled downt the urine results, which I had already seen. Glucose happened to be the last thing on the page--I just pointed at it and 'but what about this?" (it was literally off the chart). His eyes actually bugged out a bit and his first comment was 'well, that IS interesting'. Endocrine was called, we were admitted and here I am. Later the doctor told me had never seen a child present with new diabetes like that.

I hope that wasn't too convuluted a tale. Basically, we caught Gabriel very early. His own natural body rhythms brought his BGs down by the time we were at the hospital so the blood test was normal. The problem showed up in urine because that reflects BGs from something like 3 hours ago (when we were testing his blood at home). If the hospital hadn't checked both we would've missed it. If we had waited until he woke up normally, we would've missed it. Eventually, of course, it would've caught up with us but we would've had a false sense of security and my little boy might have ended up very ill.

My totally non-medical-professional advice is to trust your instincts. If you have reason to believe your child is Type I make sure they are adequately tested. Our own experience would suggest that a re-test at different time of day might be in order even if the first test is okay. Oh, and Gabriel didn't lose any weight and only had trace ketones in his urine at the hospital.

I hope this helps somebody!

Twyla

13. prncss89

Update

My daughters blood work and all test came back normal. However we are still going to check her bg off and on just incase. Bad news her and her two sisters now have the flu! I want to thank each one of yall for responding and helping me!
    Melissa

14. zimbie45

zimbie45 Approved members

Glad to here that they came back normal... sorry to here they have the flu.. please do all us a favor and just keep an eye on her...... Symtoms are Symtoms. they are there for a reason.... not saying she has diabetes but if its at the very beging stages her bloodwork may stilll be normal for now....If it cont. trust you gut and have them re check... Good luck