- advertisement -

New with 5 year old diagnosed 3 months ago

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by lcblk27, Sep 27, 2011.

1. lcblk27

lcblk27 Approved members

Hi, Im Lacy and Im new to this forum. Im looking for general support, my son was diagnosed at the begining of July. Im still feeling very overwhelmed trying to get all his D stuff figured out. Its crazy and I know its going to be an ongoing process.

Im a single mom also with a 2 month old (oh yes, he was diagnosed when I was 8.5 mos pregnant) and I am going to school and I will be starting work in a couple weeks. Im finding it difficult trying to figure out how to make healthy meals for us with everything else going on and Im also concerned about my son being in preschool 4 days a week and soon to be going to a sitter a couple days a week.

Im not even sure where to start asking questions, I just wanted to introduce myself first. I look forward to chatting with you all :)

2. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Hi Lacy, so glad you found these forums so quickly. It's so normal to feel overwhelmed at this stage. No question is too silly to ask here because we've all been at the same starting point as you are now. Here's a great book that you can read online chapter by chapter if you haven't already been given this: http://www.ucdenver.edu/academics/c...eBooks/books/Pages/UnderstandingDiabetes.aspx Just scroll down to see the list of chapters. Don't be afraid to call your endo whenever to get answers to your questions. Hope things settle down a bit for you soon.

3. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Just wanted to say welcome and sorry you have to be here. It does feel overwhelming at first but as time goes on you will feel much more comfortable doing all the things you need to do to keep your child safe and healthy.

It will be helpful to create a signature and include some basic information about your child, like age, when diagnosed, what kind of insulin they are on, etc.

Here are some books you may find useful:

Understanding Diabetes (aka The Pink Panther book)
    by Dr. Peter Chase of the Barbara Davis Center at the University of Colorado.
    http://www.childrensdiabetesfdn.org/publications.html

Think Like a Pancreas: A Practical Guide to Managing Diabetes with Insulin
    by Gary Scheiner, Barry Goldstein
    http://www.amazon.com/Think-Like-Pan.../dp/1569244367

Sweet Kids: How to Balance Diabetes Control & Good Nutrition with Family Peace
    by Betty Page Brackenridge, MS, RD, CDE & Richard R. Rubin, PhD, CDE. Published by the American Diabetes Association, 2002. 250 pages. Softcover.
    http://www.amazon.com/Sweet-Kids-Bal.../dp/1580401244

Type 1 Diabetes: A Guide for Children, Adolescents and Young Adults -- and Their Caregivers
    by Ragnar Hanas, M.D. Published by Marlowe & Company, New York,
    http://www.amazon.com/Type-Diabetes-.../dp/1569243964

Finally, in addition to the forums there is a chat room here where you can talk to other parents in "real time".

http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/chat/

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  4. Butterfly Betty

Butterfly Betty Approved members

Hello, Lacy, and welcome. You sound like you have a ton on your plate right now just between your babies and school. First, take a deep breath and relax. I've found everyone here to be very helpful, and nice.

5. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Hi Lacy and welcome:) My goodness! you do have your hands full and then some!;) So first things first. How is your son feeling? Is he doing all right with the shots and finger pokes? How are you feeling? Are you getting any rest? ( I know, dumb question huh? with a 2 month old baby too) Is there someone around who can give you some help? A grandparent or sibling or friend perhaps. Dont be afraid to ask for help, even if its getting someone to watch the baby and your child with diabetes while you nap. And dont worry about how the house looks right now, clean houses are over rated;)

Will your son's pre-school be in a public school? If so, you can arrange to have a 504 plan for him and that will make sure that his needs are met while he's there.

And above all, be real patient with yourself and take it one day at a time. We're here if you need us and make sure you stay in touch with the diabetes team, theyre there day and night too.

6. lcblk27

lcblk27 Approved members

Thank you, everyone for your kind welcome and responses.

Ethan is doing pretty well, he seems to feel okay most of the time and doesnt *seem* phased most of the time by high or low BG. He has quite the attitude these days that I would love to blame it on D, but I think its just the age, and all he has going on.

He is a champ at getting his finger poked but the shots have become a little more difficult lately. He used to stand still and tolerate them well but in the last few weeks he's started moving and flinching a lot when Im trying to do the shot. I try to distract him or get him to look elsewhere but its not working so well. So, as he is moving I sometimes end up sticking him more than once or scratching him with the needle or bending the needle :(

I am hanging in there as need be but its obviously a lot for me to deal with, especially with everything else I have going on. Since we just started back at school, we have had to get used to a new routine. Sleep I dont get much of, but I manage okay (and coffee is my friend ;)) I do have some help from my mom, she watches the kids when I am in school and if she can she will do some laundry or dishes for me to help me not get too far behind.

Yes, my son is in a public preschool, what is a 504 plan? I already filled out an extensive diabetes health plan form. I had opted for him to not have insulin at school since its only there from 8:30-12:00 and I send a low carb snack but now Im wondering if he should have insulin with him just in case. They do have a meter there to test his BG and snacks in case he goes low, but now I worry about him getting stuck there for some reason. Oy, this is so much to figure out.

7. azdrews

azdrews Approved members

Welcome!

I have a 5 year old son as well (he was diagnosed last year at age 4) so I hear you on the age thing! He's in kindergarten and doing great.

Hope we can be of some help and support to you - you sound like you have A LOT going on. ((hugs))

8. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Have you tried using an icecube to numb the injection site?