- advertisement -

New to this all of this....

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by cgbphp, Sep 21, 2011.

1. cgbphp

cgbphp Approved members

Hi! My name is Celeste. I am a single mother of two amazing kids Bailee my daughter is 4 and Hayden my son is 2. Hayden was diagnosed with type 1 in June. Although I am a LPN. I am used to taking care of patients that are elderly and not my child. He is still having constant highs more highs than lows. I find myself on the phone with the endo every week changing ratios. Between that working full time and the stress of not being able to find baysitter who is willing to take on Hyadens needs I think the chaos is the only thing keeping me sane at this point. Which I am sure plenty of paeople on here can understand. So any helpful advice anyone is willing to offer would be greatly appriciated. My new biggest concern is that he is getting ready to go on a medtronic insulin pump and whether or not this is a good idea.

2. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Hi and welcome to the forums...at first it feels so overwhelming and we all have been there. Though my dd was older at dx, there are so many whose kids were dx'd very young and are using the pump with great results. It will take some time to adjust to it and the numbers might be frustrating until you have all the settings correct, but hopefully you'll come to love it as many of us have!:) The pump can be very good at fine tuning how much basal your child needs throughout the day and night. Once that is figured, it should help with the highs. Hang in there, it gets easier!

3. zoomom456

zoomom456 Approved members

Hi Celeste,

Welcome, though sorry for the diagnosis. Diabetes with toddlers can be quite the roller coaster with sporadic growth spurts, sporadic eating, and many other factors. My son was 13 months when he was diagnosed and 2 when he went on a pump. For us it was the best thing ever. The pump was the only way I could get the daycare to give William his insulin because they refused to do shots. For us this was our best idea yet. Feel free to ask lots of questions, and remember it does get better.

4. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Hi Celeste, sorry you had to find us but glad that we can be here to support you. Many members have toddlers with type 1 or their children were toddlers when diagnosed. Ive heard of many of them putting their CWD on pumps as soon as they were able to. They say that its much easier to give just tiny amounts of insulin which a toddler needs and it makes eating alot easier and less forced for the child.

My goodness dear! You do have your hands full now dont you? Do you have family in the area who can lend a hand? Dont hesitate to come here with questions or worries. If we dont know the answer, we can point you in the right direction.

5. lisac

lisac Approved members

My dd was dx'd at 20 months and is now 3. She's been on the pump for 6 months now. Things are still not perfect, but I wish we had gotten her on it sooner!! It's SOOO hard to get that 1/2 unit in that syringe!!! We LOVE being able to give tiny amounts of insulin. Good luck!

6. cgbphp

cgbphp Approved members

My biggest concern as I am sure it was for all parents who were about to go to the pump is.....he is two and so active won't it get pulled out frequently? Also I have been looking for childcare and no one will take him pump or no pump. I live in a very small area with only two daycares in the area and both have turned us down and in home sitter I have found want to charge outragous prices.

7. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

There are tons of products to basically super glue the sets on...and other products to take them off as well! I don't think you should worry about the activity level being a huge obstacle. Realistically, though, you might want to take a few days off if you decide to go on the pump and do the insulin start. There are a lot of finger pokes and adjustments in the first weeks. I'm so sorry you are having day care issues---that makes it all so much worse.

8. cgbphp

cgbphp Approved members

My job is actually being very supportive and are letting me take a week off when Hayden goes on insulin for his pump. I hope thats long enough considering I am still calling for changes on a weekly basis. I just hope that pumping is everything my endo. promises it will be fingers crossed. Im also glad that eveyone on here says I shouldn't have a problem with the sites coming out. I have only been on this site for two days and it has already been so helpful! Thank everyone so much!! I am so glad I found this site!

9. kgerrick

kgerrick Approved members

So sorry for your son's diagnosis. My daughter was older at diagnosis (13) this past May. But I feel for you. Please know that you have come to the right place. Many people here are full of wonderful help and support. They helped me through the first month. I wish you nothing but the best to you and your family. As I was told by some wise mom's and dad's on here you will find a new normal and it will get easier. Hang in there.

10. lisac

lisac Approved members

I feel your pain with the daycare situation! I also live in a very small town and Hadlee can't go to any daycare. My employer works my schedule around my husband's most of the time. 1 day a week, my brother-in-law's girlfriend babysits for us. She took the time to get trained as soon as Hadlee was dx'd, then we did a re-train session after Hadlee went on the pump. When crazy things come up, my sister-in-law will babysit (but not very often:()

Good luck, wish I could give you advice!